Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I thought Halak was a good goalie. I'm not seeing the marked upgrade a lot of other people are.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
I thought Halak was a good goalie. I'm not seeing the marked upgrade a lot of other people are.

Miller had good numbers behind a shitty defense in Buffalo and you figure that's only going to improve in St. Louis.

But, at some point, the Blues will have to prove they can score enough goals in the postseason to be a contender. Haven't done that yet.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Miller had good numbers behind a shitty defense in Buffalo and you figure that's only going to improve in St. Louis.

But, at some point, the Blues will have to prove they can score enough goals in the postseason to be a contender. Haven't done that yet.

I don't care about their past postseason woes, this is a legit team that quite honestly is better than ours.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
I don't care about their past postseason woes, this is a legit team that quite honestly is better than ours.

It's a legit team but no, it's not better. Hawks have more talent up and down the roster.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
First impression.....why? Miller is 33 and will be 34 before next season starts. I like the trade for Buffalo but the wild card might be Ott....he's always been a problem for the Hawks. Well, if the Blues win a Cup this year, it was a good deal.....if they don't, not so much.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Goddammit, this is what happens when eastern teams are in western conferences. That is the got to be the single worst thing I could think of seeing in a hockey headline. Whereas Oveckin to the Blackhawks for Pirri would be the best thing I could see. I would not expect to see either one, this blows.

I am in a little shock after the initial curse words. Miller looked like the better goalie to me in Russia, and I would have liked to see him defend his 2009 performance.

CreepyBasementGuy

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
STL probably the biggest threat in the conference before the trade and still after. Beats me how much this actually improved them.

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
It's a legit team but no, it's not better. Hawks have more talent up and down the roster.

Hawks may have more talent, but I would argue that they may have more holes than the Blues. Blues certainly have the better goalie right now and a pretty solid defense to go along with it. They have a lot of depth up front, not the star power but plenty of guys that can score. I wouldn't underrate the Blues here. People can look at their past playoff performances all they want, but this is a different team and a different beast. A Blackhawks vs Blues series would be absolutely amazing to watch...just have to get there first.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Hawks may have more talent, but I would argue that they may have more holes than the Blues. Blues certainly have the better goalie right now and a pretty solid defense to go along with it. They have a lot of depth up front, not the star power but plenty of guys that can score. I wouldn't underrate the Blues here. People can look at their past playoff performances all they want, but this is a different team and a different beast. A Blackhawks vs Blues series would be absolutely amazing to watch...just have to get there first.

I agree on the last part, and it feels inevitable this year: the Hawks and Blues have to meet in the postseason.

Every Hawks and Blues game has come down to the wire, with St. Louis winning twice in shootouts. Against other top teams in the West? Versus the Kings, Sharks, and Ducks, the Blues are a combined 1-7 this year. And as I type this, Anaheim has them down 1-0. So the Blues haven't done much, to me, to prove that they're incredibly different than any of the other recent St. Louis teams that couldn't get it done in the postseason.

I don't think I'm underestimating St. Louis, because I still think they're a very good team and will give the Hawks one hell of a battle in a 7-game series. But, as of now, I don't see anything that St. Louis has done to make me believe they should be the favorite in a Hawks/Blues series matchup.

One other thing about this trade: it makes St. Louis considerably older, as DHF mentioned. That Cup window of theirs just got a little bit shorter.

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
How so? Because of Ryan Miller? Miller is the American version of Corey Crawford, an older model at that. He has had moments of elite this year but he still has lapses where he cant stop a beach ball and it doesnt matter who is playing in front of him. Does he make the Blah's better? Sure, but not by much. Throw in Ott, who is an excellent PK'er and the only reason i wanted him on the Hawks, and the trade is a wash with a slight edge to the Sabres only because they got a first rounder in a deep draft year.

Ryan Miller isnt going to be the guy to carry the Blues on his back. That job is still going to be their top pairing. The first time a team runs Miller in the playoffs you will see him crack. There are no shoot outs in the damn playoffs so fuck TJ Oshie while your at it.

fries?

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The more I look at this trade, the more I don't know what the Blues thinking was. Okay, if Miller plays lights out and leads them to a Cup this year....then, yeah....hoist Armstrong on your shoulders deem him GM of the century. But what if Miller doesn't or if he's just good and they still get beat....now its something completely different. All you did was get older and lose some depth. Goaltending was probably their biggest strength BEFORE he made this trade...why does he make an arguably lateral move at his strongest position and give up the house in doing it?

IMOP he just put a ton of pressure on not only this team but himself as well, to win....and to win now.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
dont create dumb ass threads jntg. I havent been in your fire forum in a while hint hint.

Sent from my Rotary Phone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.