1st Round: DL or DB?

Mpov22

Liked Posts:
If Gilbert isn't there I don't see how you can find a better fit than Donald if he's available... With Tillman back for the year and a good defense short of being a playoff team I don't see CB as much of a need as DL personally.

And I think the safeties are more fringe 1st rounders but that's just me... No Eric Berry's or Ed Reed's this year

ChettheJet

Liked Posts:
Right now I'd say whichever player they have rated higher at DT or CB. It's not like they have to draft a starter at either spot, they now have 3 tackles and 3 ends, 2 starting corners. Any of them could and probably will get injured, so take the guy who looks like he can play this year but probably be a starter in 2015.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
The question starts to shade towards need vs BPA. Right now we have a patchwork DL that has some talent but no real stand outs. But when you look at the secondary, we do not have one starting caliber safety - not one. So if you are Emery and let's say for example at 14 you have Donald rated higher than Clinton-Dix on your board and you take Donald, you better be really fucking sure there is a safety waiting in round two who can start.

GSH1919

Liked Posts:
As it stands DT is a pretty big hole. There's some decent players in that rotation right now but a true pass rushing tackle that can also stop the run is sorely needed which is why I'm still holding out the slim hope Henry Melton is resigned.

If Melton's back I'd probably turn my focus to safety or possibly corner if someone like Gilbert is available. If not you almost have to draft one of Jernigan or Donald as the interior DL is missing a stand out player and the edges while they should be improved are less than proven as it is to have a so-so interior.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Aaron Donald
Justin Gilbert
Darqueze Denard
Ha Ha Clinton Dix
Calvin Pryor

That's an excellent group. I would also consider any of the three top offensive tackles if they fall to 14 as well. That is a premium NFL position and a selection of Matthews, Lewan or Robinson would push Mills to swing tackle. something we are currently without...

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
i guess one way to look at it is, if you get to #14 and these guys are ALL still there:

Aaron Donald
Justin Gilbert
Darqueze Dennard
Ha Ha Clinton Dix
Calvin Pryor

maybe you trade back to #18, get the extra picks and walk away happy that you got a stud. but, i don't think they'll all be there are #14. i guess the OTHER thought is, if you get to #14 and ALL but one is gone, say Donald, then you take that guy and don't look back.

AHSIllini32

Liked Posts:
i guess one way to look at it is, if you get to #14 and these guys are ALL still there:

Aaron Donald
Justin Gilbert
Darqueze Dennard
Ha Ha Clinton Dix
Calvin Pryor

maybe you trade back to #18, get the extra picks and walk away happy that you got a stud. but, i don't think they'll all be there are #14. i guess the OTHER thought is, if you get to #14 and ALL but one is gone, say Donald, then you take that guy and don't look back.

The only way you trade back is if there's say three players there that you have rated with the same grade. Maybe you trade back two or three spots knowing you will have the option of at least one of those guys. Otherwise, if you have your #1 guy on your board sitting there at 14, even if your #2, 3, and 4 are still there you run up to the podium to draft the guy rated highest on your board.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
^ ^ Exactly. This strongly depends on who the #15-19 teams are drooling over. I've yet to hear any indication who Phil & crew are hot n' bothered about. They're good at holding cards close to the vest and for good reason.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The only way you trade back is if there's say three players there that you have rated with the same grade. Maybe you trade back two or three spots knowing you will have the option of at least one of those guys. Otherwise, if you have your #1 guy on your board sitting there at 14, even if your #2, 3, and 4 are still there you run up to the podium to draft the guy rated highest on your board.

i totally agree, that's basically what i was saying. maybe there are a few guys that you think are home runs, and you would take them there, so if that happens, you pounce at #14. if you have SEVERAL guys that are all graded the same (either elite, great, good or whatever) and you feel you can move back that number, then do it and get the extra picks. i don't know how they rate their guys. if it's a scale of 1-100, do they leap on a 98? do they move back if they have five rated 95? not sure. either way, i could see them moving up, staying there, OR moving back. i really wouldn't be surprised by any of those moves. only moving back gets us EXTRA picks, though. it'll be one hell of a draft night for sure.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners

Aaron Donald
Justin Gilbert
Darqueze Dennard
Ha Ha Clinton Dix
Calvin Pryor

Donald is moving up the draft boards. I am not sure if he will make it to 14. It is hard to see both CBs lasting until 14th. Safety may be the route to go but Emery may be targeting help for the dline.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
a lot of people aren't down for a safety at #14. if donald, gilbert and dennard are all gone, do we trade back instead of taking safety? personally i'd love to see them take a safety at #14, and i'd feel better about it if donald, gilbert and dennard were already gone. but i really like donald, so i hope he's there.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
CJ Mosley MLB Alabama...

Why not? we actually can draft other guys later in the draft to play DT or DB...

there are literally no sure thing MLBs after Mosley in the draft

Medical history

Matt Suhey

Liked Posts:
14th pick priority still has to be pass rush/pass defense if its a DT then he has to have the skill set to make a diff in the pass rush. At this juncture if Allen is too expensive then hope for Melton to get signed. If we keep Melton then Ealy would be my preference and a CB who can also play FS in the second round. If we dont get Melton then Aaron Donald. Young is a pass rush guy not run stop guy a DE combo of Houston, Ealy and Young would be good for short term and probably very good for long term. If we end up with Donald then lets hope the promise Bass showed get fully exploited this season.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
CJ Mosley MLB Alabama...

Why not? we actually can draft other guys later in the draft to play DT or DB...

there are literally no sure thing MLBs after Mosley in the draft
I'm a big fan of Mosely but i also like Borland and Skov.

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
I think you guys should go DT. The better the D Line is, the better the LBs and DBs play.

ghost_of_halas

Liked Posts:
None of the safeties in this class are troy polamalu, sean taylor or eric berry types. There are just 2 guys that have less flaws than the other safety prospects. So I dont see it as a need to target one of them in the first round. Getting a guy in the second that has the physical tools and is coachable is yhe way to go. In the first round you have to hope they find a special player that would be at the top of the heap any yeat he came out in the draft. Not j7st the top guy in a year that a bunch of bums declared

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
I'm a big fan of Mosely but i also like Borland and Skov.

Skov was a guy I was high on... he just doesn't have that sideline to sideline speed for the NFL runningbacks... Though he does a great job of shedding blocks and has a great first step... He seems to know where the play is going...

Borland is undersized but makes plays... Hard to measure him really as an NFL player... could be zack thomas...

Mosley, had a dislocated elbow and dislocated hip while at alabama... The elbow I am not too worried about... But the hip definitely is a big concern... but seeing that he is running a 4.6 40 time makes me wonder just how bad or serious his dislocated hip was... and if it will cause any complications moving forward... His speed seems to be just fine though...

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
As things stand now, I think that they should go with a stud defensive tackle unles there is a run of them taken early. If that happens, I'd hope Pryor is there. Its is really close as to need between the two positions.

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
I'd go safety in the first based on the fact that DL, particularly DT, is really deep this draft.