CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
And just another reason why the tournament sucks.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
And I no longer need to follow

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
lol Parker is gone. #1 pick. He's taking the $5 million/year salary. Though if the Bucks win the lottery, I'd stay at Duke another year lol.

Yea....

One thing Parker really needs to work on is his defense. He is just not a good defender.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
As long as UK or UNC don't win it, I'm good.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Where's dook?

At home, with the rest of us.

Maybe we can put an end to the "Duke gets all the calls" stuff?

Sent from my phone...in my pocket...with my mind.

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
At home, with the rest of us.

Maybe we can put an end to the "Duke gets all the calls" stuff?

My team got blown out at home in the first round of the CIT. My bracket is done. I'm just waiting for football season now.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My team got blown out at home in the first round of the CIT. My bracket is done. I'm just waiting for football season now.

Could be worse...I'm looking forward to the Cubs. :lol:

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Didn't watch the game, heard Coach K got out coached....can anybody confirm?

Also, heard he threw Jabari under the bus. Again, confirmation?

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Didn't watch the game, heard Coach K got out coached....can anybody confirm?

Also, heard he threw Jabari under the bus. Again, confirmation?

They shot awful. Down right awful and the players were making some poor decisions. The blame belongs on them, not Coach K IMO

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
No, Coach K was out coached and threw Jabari under the Bus.

Call me a Duke hater, but K wasted Jabari this season. In the games I saw Duke play, I saw Jabari struggle to get the ball down the stretch. He's your best player..

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Just read the quote about him being a freshman. Interesting that Carmelo, Oden, Rose, Davis - all freshmen whose coaches put them in good positions.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I think Duke is a victim of their own past success, and can probably be said about a lot of traditional college basketball powers. Was Duke really worthy of a 3 seed? Were they really one of the 12 best teams in the country, or does the name Duke mean a lot more than how they played? I honestly think that is the case.

On the flip side, is Mercer really worthy of a 14 seed? Why, because the majority of America never heard of them until last Sunday? And I don't buy this strength of schedule shit. A lot of, if not most, teams schedule in advance. Why does the 2014 Duke team get rewarded for a (maybe - I won't begin to say this might be the case) down ACC, and Mercer gets downgraded for their conference (whatever the fuck it is) being shitty?

The problem is the seeding. Plain and simple.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
They shot awful. Down right awful and the players were making some poor decisions. The blame belongs on them, not Coach K IMO

It's definitely not just the players,although the basketball IQ of this team is downright pitiful.

Yes, it is well known that the players aren't really listening to what K is saying. Jabari noted that K was telling him to drive and he wasn't really driving much of the game.Yes, definitely a bit of the blame rests on the players for not being on smart on offense or defense. On both ends, things were not run well. They looked like they had just met each other and formed a team at the YMCA rather than having played together for an entire season.

Part of my issue with K's coaching is while he's very good at adjusting to the tools he has in terms of a roster offensively, I don't see it as much defensively. We seem to always play an overplay/pressure man to man, which seems like it would work for the guys we have, but time and time again our guys cannot execute it. That's why we allow a ridiculous amount of penetration and an absurd opponent 2 point percentage. K isn't going to change his defensive scheme up to compensate, his adjustments focus more on mixing and matching players on defense. It's obvious that,especially for teams which won't turn over the ball, such as a senior-laden Mercer team, we should not be running an overplay man to man. We need to switch it up a bit. 2-3 zone or a packline defense. I see other teams mix up their defense ALL THE TIME. In fact Mercer switched back and forth a bit from a 2-3 zone to man. The only time I have really seen Coach K adjust the defensive scheme drastically was 2010, in which we went to a packline. And that worked out really well for us.

Defensive scheme? Is that on the players? It's not.

Another issue? Where in the wild wild world of sports has Marshall Plumlee been? He was supposed to develop and become a solid starting center this year, right? See, the thing is, he doesn't have to score much, if at all. I wouldn't even expect him to play 30 minutes or so. But for the love of god we need someone who's taller than 6'8 on the team. We rebound fine this year, that's not the problem. The problem is we have NO SIZE INSIDE. So Jabari, Amile, and Hood get smacked around inside offensively, AND there's no one to adequately defend a guy who's 6'10+ who has a decent offensive touch. If you noticed, Mercer has one of those guys, and he FUCKED US UP. He was a huge reason they one, besides everything else mentioned. Is that on Marshall? Partly, because he never really developed. But it's also on to K to account for these things, have him in the rotation,and, throughout the course of the year, get him on the court consistently so he's prepared for big games like this.

See, another issue with K that explains the Plumlee situation as a whole is that he seems to shorten the rotation as the season wears on, and guys like Plumlee suffer. I understand that our bench can cost us against teams because, well, those players aren't as good as our starters, but,cmon.

I would not say K has "wasted" Jabari Parker this season. Jabari has put up some solid numbers and has been the offensive focal point this season. I would part of it is that K let him have too much free rein, and Jabari ends taking insanely idiotic shots and having tunnel vision. Also part of the reason Jabari struggles to get the ball at the end of games is because his teammates aren't looking for him. I noticed in this game and in recent games that the offensive flow has started to come apart. We are not moving the ball around very well. Players are not getting in position well, and when they are, they are not being targeted and passed to.

I could make this post thousands of words longer, but I won't spare you guys the trouble of reading that.

Point is, this team was a mess. I am disappointed that the talent we had this year went to such terrible waste. I do look forward to next year, and I hope we have a team rather than a collection of players that happen to call themselves a team.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Just read the quote about him being a freshman. Interesting that Carmelo, Oden, Rose, Davis - all freshmen whose coaches put them in good positions.
Although not on the same level necessarily, you can add Luol Deng to that list.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I think Duke is a victim of their own past success, and can probably be said about a lot of traditional college basketball powers. Was Duke really worthy of a 3 seed? Were they really one of the 12 best teams in the country, or does the name Duke mean a lot more than how they played? I honestly think that is the case.
They were definitely good enough to get a three seed, based on their resume. Their body of work said they were a 3 seed, the problem was AT THIS POINT, they were not playing as such. You could argue they should take the end of the season into account more, and they do, sorta(especially in terms of conference tournaments). However, there's a point to those November-December games whether it is indicative of the team's current play or not.

On the flip side, is Mercer really worthy of a 14 seed? Why, because the majority of America never heard of them until last Sunday? And I don't buy this strength of schedule shit. A lot of, if not most, teams schedule in advance. Why does the 2014 Duke team get rewarded for a (maybe - I won't begin to say this might be the case) down ACC, and Mercer gets downgraded for their conference (whatever the fuck it is) being shitty?

The problem is the seeding. Plain and simple.

Yea, probably. They were ranked in the 90s on KenPom(which is a very solid site for adjusted statistics and ranks teams based on the data from their performances) before the Duke game, and are now 81. Their offensive and defensive ratings are lower than the 60s. They played well, yes, Mercer is a good team with a lot of senior leadership.

But at the same time, that was one of the worst if not the worst game Duke has played all season. Which says a lot considering Duke has laid some eggs this season. We shot like 35% from the field, while jacking a ton of 3s and having literally no ball movement whatsoever. We allowed Mercer to shoot,like 50+% from the field.

Are you shitting me? How was this even close? We shot like 20% less than they did. Christ.

I will agree,though, seeding has certainly been a problem. Louisville should not have been a 4 seed, Kentucky definitely not an 8 seed, and I don't think a team like BYU had any business being in the tourney. A lot of other qualms for sure.

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
This Virginia vs Coastal Carolina game is crazy right now.

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
And CC up by 10 now.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
They were definitely good enough to get a three seed, based on their resume. Their body of work said they were a 3 seed, the problem was AT THIS POINT, they were not playing as such. You could argue they should take the end of the season into account more, and they do, sorta(especially in terms of conference tournaments). However, there's a point to those November-December games whether it is indicative of the team's current play or not.

Yea, probably. They were ranked in the 90s on KenPom(which is a very solid site for adjusted statistics and ranks teams based on the data from their performances) before the Duke game, and are now 81. Their offensive and defensive ratings are lower than the 60s. They played well, yes, Mercer is a good team with a lot of senior leadership.

But at the same time, that was one of the worst if not the worst game Duke has played all season. Which says a lot considering Duke has laid some eggs this season. We shot like 35% from the field, while jacking a ton of 3s and having literally no ball movement whatsoever. We allowed Mercer to shoot,like 50+% from the field.

Are you shitting me? How was this even close? We shot like 20% less than they did. Christ.

I will agree,though, seeding has certainly been a problem. Louisville should not have been a 4 seed, Kentucky definitely not an 8 seed, and I don't think a team like BYU had any business being in the tourney. A lot of other qualms for sure.

Duke kept it close by making like 45 points off three's...otherwise it would have been a Mercer blow out.

I dunno it seemed the selection committee went for the marketing of matchups that would cause a lot of "talk"...That matched Louisville up with Pitino's former assistant and it showed as Manhattan knew everything Louisville was going to do and in the end the only thing that trumped Manhattan was experience of Louisville.

The selection committee use to put alot of weight on how a team finishes the season...That went out the door recently due to so many commentators complaining about that. So thats why a team like Iowa or BYU is still invited to the dance. BYU should have been out for not being that good to begin with and then losing their second leading scorer. Iowa should ahve been out for losing their last 6 of 7.

And yeah seeding was pretty bad... Kentucky should have had UMass's slot at 6...Louisville is a 2 or 3 seed....I dont think Wisconsin is a 2 seed

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Speaking of Duke, seems about every other year they lay an egg.

2014 (#3 seed)- L first round - Mercer (#14 seed)
2013 (#2 seed)- L Elite 8 - Louisville (#1 seed)
2012 (#2 seed)- L first round - Lehigh (#15 seed)
2011 (#1 seed)- L Sweet 16 - Arizona (#5 seed)
2010 (#1 seed)- W Championship
2009 (#2 seed)- L Sweet 16- Villanova (#3 seed)
2008 (#2 seed)- L 2nd round - West Virginia (#7 seed)
2007 (#6 seed)- L 1st round - VCU