2014 Chicago Cubs In-Season Discussion Thread

Liked Posts:
Because Veras threw about 30 pitches in the 16-inning game the night before. I hope I'm wrong, though. Can't worry about Veras' trade value. You got to do what's best for your team, not someone else's.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Because Veras threw about 30 pitches in the 16-inning game the night before. I hope I'm wrong, though. Can't worry about Veras' trade value. You got to do what's best for your team, not someone else's.

Because the Cubs under current management NEVER prioritized trade value over winning games.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Strop has the only save so far for the Cubs. The move might already have been made.

There only been 2 save opportunities so far....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Tapatalk

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
There only been 2 save opportunities so far....

And after only throwing one inning so far this season, the named closer was passed over in the second save opportunity of the year.

patg006

Liked Posts:
Because the Cubs under current management NEVER prioritized trade value over winning games.

It appears to me they have prioritized every but winning games to the delight of most of the fans here.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Veras looked like shit in the spring also. 7.00 ERA to a 4.70 for Strop. WHIP's were close to each other.

So far: WHIP: Veras 3.00/Strop: .67 ERA: Veras 9.00 to Strop 0.00

Right now Strop is the best in the pen. Grimm has been the 2nd best with Rondon right with them. Veras and the lefties have been the leaky ones.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Veras looked like shit in the spring also. 7.00 ERA to a 4.70 for Strop. WHIP's were close to each other.

So far: WHIP: Veras 3.00/Strop: .67 ERA: Veras 9.00 to Strop 0.00

Right now Strop is the best in the pen. Grimm has been the 2nd best with Rondon right with them. Veras and the lefties have been the leaky ones.
I'm just surprised how fast the trigger was pulled by Renteria on that one. Will be interesting to see how Veras is used from this point on.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
It appears to me they have prioritized every but winning games to the delight of most of the fans here.

I would agree with that. Sadly nothing disproves it and seeing how every year Theo sells off spare parts it is not hard to see the goal each year.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I'm just surprised how fast the trigger was pulled by Renteria on that one. Will be interesting to see how Veras is used from this point on.

I thought it was surprising that they did not go with Strop as the closer too be honest. Signing Veras was a bit of a surprise to me. It doesn't matter Veras has had success as a set up also.

chibears55

Liked Posts:

Did renteria name strop the new closer?
Unless he did I think strop closing out that game had more to do with veras throwing like 40 pitches the day before.

Guess we'll see whenever they get another save opportunity

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Did renteria name strop the new closer?
Unless he did I think strop closing out that game had more to do with veras throwing like 40 pitches the day before.

Guess we'll see whenever they get another save opportunity

Not yet IMO. He's not pitched enough to make a definitive statement. However, if he continues to pitch this way it's not far off.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
After 6 games:

OBA.

Bonifaco: .548
Valbuena .471
Kalish .444
Lake .368
Rizzo .357
Barney .333
Castro .269
Schierholtz .238
Sweeney .188
Castillo .167
Baker .125
Olt .077
Ruggiano .000

patg006

Liked Posts:
Are people really discussing who the closer will be on a 55-60 win team?? It doesn't matter who the closer is.

Even if Veras is effective as the closer and gets traded at the deadline, he won't be the closer on a contending or playoff team. He will be a setup man at best meaning the return on him will be minor league depth at best.

He couldn't close on a Detroit team last year desperate for a closer.

Even if Strop takes the job and runs with it, he will be 29 in June. The effective life of a closer in baseball is about that of a NFL running back. He will be past his prime in the best case scenario for the Cubs being a competitive team.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
That depends on the closer. Eck pitched his best years at the end.

Most of the best closers were ex starters at the tail end

Chris J

Chris Jelinek
Liked Posts:
Strop has the only save so far for the Cubs. The move might already have been made.

highly doubtful. Strop will definitely be the closer at some point but it hasnt happened yet. Veras got the first chance and then he was not avaiable for the game Strop got the close. Hasnt had any more save chances since. Veras looks awful so far though. Strop will be closer in May

Chris J

Chris Jelinek
Liked Posts:
Are people really discussing who the closer will be on a 55-60 win team?? It doesn't matter who the closer is.

Even if Veras is effective as the closer and gets traded at the deadline, he won't be the closer on a contending or playoff team. He will be a setup man at best meaning the return on him will be minor league depth at best.

He couldn't close on a Detroit team last year desperate for a closer.

Even if Strop takes the job and runs with it, he will be 29 in June. The effective life of a closer in baseball is about that of a NFL running back. He will be past his prime in the best case scenario for the Cubs being a competitive team.

55-60 wins lmao. Closers are a very overrated position any way so i dont think its worth a discussion