Can someone justify the Willie Young signing?

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Emery said before he wanted to get Young on defense. Mission accomplished. He is a man of his word and he never sleeps.
:buttrock::buttrock::buttrock::buttrock::buttrock::buttrock::buttrock::buttrock:

BearDownZZ

Liked Posts:
I think the best way to describe him is someone that shows some signs that he can be on the cusp of breaking out. He can play that RDE side, play the run and still put pressure on the QB. You get him at a low enough number that if he doesn't pan out, he's still not bad as a rotational player. And if he's really bad you can cut him without eating much money. This allows a young player to earn a job ahead of him. But if Young ends up breaking out then you get a steal of a player for $9 mil.

So hopefully he plays great and adds to the rotation and gives us a fresh body. Be nice to see Houston get 10+ sacks, Young get 7+ and some rookie get 7+ with Ratliff and the other DT's and backups maybe putting down 10+ sacks. Add some LB blitzes and you have a team with 50+ sacks. At DE, it would be a nice rotation like Seahawks had last year or the NY Giants had a few years ago.

I know people balk at the idea of hurries being subjective and don't mean much but if you actually look deeper into players that produce 40+ hurries, they often become players that will put up 10+ sacks. Usually if you beat your man 4 times, you'll get to the QB once. So Young is kind of a buy low, see if you don't catch a guy on his upswing type of player.

i remember people saying the same thing about why we would sign the Colts backup CB to a 2 year deal. Why did we even need him? He won't ever make it out of camp. Heck Corey Graham was better than him. That was Tim Jennings in 2010. It doesn't always work out like that but you can't find value players if you only sign top dollar guys.

Sentinel

Liked Posts:
If he's top 5 in QB hurries, that's LITERALLY all that matters. He's a great signing for as cheap as we got him.

You don't always need to sack the QB. If you hurry him, it can lead to him throwing it out of bounds, or even better, forcing it to cause a turnover. Sacks are some of the most overrated, useless stats in the game. They're the finishing stat for QB pressure. Give me the guy who's in the backfield disrupting the QBs rhythm over the guys who sneak into the backfield and sack the QB who's already flustered.

Basically, if sacks are your primary measure of a pass rusher's ability, you're really stupid and I wish you didn't post your opinions online.

WCL

Organ Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not counting Peppers, these are the defensive ends the Bears had under contract heading into free agency:

David Bass
Austen Lane
Cheta Ozougwu
Tracy Robertson
Trevor Scott
Cornelius Washington

And people are still baffled that the Bears signed Lamarr Houston and Willie Young.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
Corrected Title: Can someone justify my opinion so I can sleep better at night knowing I can't do shit to change what Emery does?
Then what the hell is the point of a message board if none of us can ask a question? You have no logic, don't post here then and give us your thoughts. You don't change anything, either.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
Then what the hell is the point of a message board if none of us can ask a question? You have no logic, don't post here then and give us your thoughts. You don't change anything, either.

Do you realize how many times you have asked the same question over and over again? Reality is Willie Young is a Chicago Bear and more then likely a starter, get that into your head and deal with it. Every time I see you complaining about the Willie Young pickup, I picture Coach Klein from The Waterboy talking to his Grandma "on the phone" while wearing heels and stomping.

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
I read he is expected to start opposite of Houston, and looking at his #'s are...Pretty damn bad. Not saying #'s do everything but when you play with the best DT in league and one of the best in Fairley, I think you'd get more than 3 damn sacks for the whole season. Can someone explain this signing and why he is good enough to start? He's not young, he's almost 29 and hasn't done much in his career.

Because that's all we can afford. You can't get a superstar player for his price. It is what it is. What, you thought there should be superstars and above average players at every position? It's not going to happen. We don't have the money. Hell every team doesn't have the money. You go in with a team with a few superstars and then the rest of the players are average and hope for the best with them and hope as well that some of them turn into superstars. Then obviously because of salary cap you will lose some. It's really simple to see that.

The Bears got 2 average DE with houston being close to above average. That's what they could afford. That talent. I think they will pair them with a DT in the draft that will make the average DEs we picked up better. Sounds like a good plan. Aaron Donald is who I see making them look better. That's my tale.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk Pro

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yea. Remember Emery rolled out the QB hurry statistic and pass completions.
If we can hurry the QB every down we'd have a tough D

Mitchapalooza

Desperado, another thing to think of both signings: We're paying them for the future production. I know you want Allen, and I would welcome him too, but he's gonna be on a decline. Why pay big money for a guy whose best days are behind him instead of paying a young guy whose best days are in front of him? I know Allen is still good and puts up double digit sacks, but I'd rather pay for an upcoming guy than one who's older.

Mitchapalooza

btw sorry for the bad use of "who's" or "whose" wtf is even the difference. I'm pretty grammar nazi-ish, but never learned the difference of those two. Is "who's" just a contraction for "who is" and nothing more?

Willis1524

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
btw sorry for the bad use of "who's" or "whose" wtf is even the difference. I'm pretty grammar nazi-ish, but never learned the difference of those two. Is "who's" just a contraction for "who is" and nothing more?

Yes.

WCL

Organ Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Bears got 2 average DE with houston being close to above average. That's what they could afford. That talent. I think they will pair them with a DT in the draft that will make the average DEs we picked up better. Sounds like a good plan. Aaron Donald is who I see making them look better. That's my tale.

They're both above average, and Houston is far above average.

Gravis

Bears/Bulls/Hawks by 400
Liked Posts:

You assume my logic dictates that you can't ask questions, which it doesn't. What my logic does dictate is what is the point in asking people to justify you not liking a signing that you have no control over? I mean what benefit do people get by justifying this signing TO YOU? Because this isn't a discussion about whether or not Young will or will not help the defense--unless that was your original intention which you failed to show--but a self-centered inquiry. So, by all means, don't post here if all you want out of this message board is for people to justify your assumptions, oh precious snowflake.

Mitchapalooza

so if I said: "The bears signed Jared Allen, whose best days are behind him." that's correct, right?

sorry, people probably think I'm dumb as hell for that, but I just always hated the word, "whose".

RisWell

Liked Posts:
When did Fairley become one of the best?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Willis1524

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
so if I said: "The bears signed Jared Allen, whose best days are behind him." that's correct, right?

sorry, people probably think I'm dumb as hell for that, but I just always hated the word, "whose".

Yes that is correct.