Playoff idea: unseat the conferences

Don't Care

CCS Jesus
Liked Posts:
What if at the end of the year they pick the top 12 teams like they do now - top finishers in each division + top 2 finishers after division winners in both conferences. But instead of having only NFC teams facing each other, and only AFC teams facing each other, they shuffle all 12 teams and have the best team face the worst team, next best team face the next worse team, etc. You could still pick the top four teams to have a first round bye.

Then the Super Bowl becomes the best two teams facing each other. The week before the Super Bowl you could have the Championship Game losers face each other for third place. That would be more interesting to watch than any Pro Bowl.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
LOLWUT? For third place? What is this kindergarten football? If you're not first you're last.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just get rid of the NFC and AFC then because that would be pointless......and there is no guarantee the best two teams would face each other...inferior teams beat superior teams on any given Sunday

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
Next!

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
And occasionally one strong team makes another strong team look like a D2 squad.

Don't Care

CCS Jesus
Liked Posts:
LOLWUT? For third place? What is this kindergarten football? If you're not first you're last.
Oh hell, Son, I was high that day. That doesn't make any sense at all, you can be second, third, fourth... hell you can even be fifth.

PrimeTime

Knowledge Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Each team plays between 10 and 12 games a year in their own conference. If one conference is superior to the other it would be a disadvantage to those teams in that conference when it comes to playoff seeds.

Don't Care

CCS Jesus
Liked Posts:
Just get rid of the NFC and AFC then because that would be pointless......and there is no guarantee the best two teams would face each other...inferior teams beat superior teams on any given Sunday
You need the 8 divisions of teams who face each other twice a season and the division winners get to move on to the playoffs.

Tell me how the current playoff system prevents "any given Sunday" from choosing the world champ?

Don't Care

CCS Jesus
Liked Posts:
Each team plays between 10 and 12 games a year in their own conference. If one conference is superior to the other it would be a disadvantage to those teams in that conference when it comes to playoff seeds.
Actually they always play exactly 12 inner-conference games and 4 inter-conference games.

Again how is the current system any better - if your division is tougher you're going to have a worse record and not get the bye.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
You need the 8 divisions of teams who face each other twice a season and the division winners get to move on to the playoffs.

Tell me how the current playoff system prevents "any given Sunday" from choosing the world champ?

I didn't say it doesn't....neither does yours so there is no real value to your playoff system.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
This was actually one of the proposed realignment plans for the NFL back in 1966 when the NFL and AFL talked about merging. A few NFL teams had to be moved to the AFL so each league/conference would have an equal number of teams (13), but Rozelle was concerned that all of the good teams would remain in the NFL/NFC, so he wanted to do away with seperate conference playoffs and just throw the top 8 teams into a postseason bracket regardless of conference affiliation.

I don't know why your idea is getting such push-back. It kind of makes sense.

because there is no point to it now.....the NFC nor the AFC clearly dominate it has been 15 NFC wins to 10 AFC wins over the past 25 years.......in a one game series that seems well within the margin of error.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
But the refs blow the Packers in any venue so bad example Rory.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
But right now you have issues of mediocre teams winning divisions and then hosting playoff games against superior opponents who had the misfortune of being in a division with a good team. With more divisions and fewer teams in each division, the likelihood that an 8-7-1 team like the 2013 Packers will win their division is greater and they get to host a 12-4 Niners team in the postseason...a team with a better head-to-head and overall record.

Thing is, I can live with that. Be good enough to win your division to reap the reward of a division winner. If a team is better, why does it matter where they play? The reward would be fine giving it to a Division winner over a better record but tougher division. Both are a reward, just how you distribute it. If the NFL is going to mandate inferior teams make it IN to the playoffs by Division record than leave the system alone. IF they change to a top 12 teams and leave out division winners then I could see moving to a best record hosts type system. That's my opinion.

Don't Care

CCS Jesus
Liked Posts:
I didn't say it doesn't....neither does yours so there is no real value to your playoff system.
Then there's also no value in the current system? I don't get it.

Don't Care

CCS Jesus
Liked Posts:
because there is no point to it now.....the NFC nor the AFC clearly dominate it has been 15 NFC wins to 10 AFC wins over the past 25 years.......in a one game series that seems well within the margin of error.
I'm not worried about overall AFC vs. NFC SB records it's the boring Super Bowls where one team is clearly the best in football and the other team we're not sure would beat the rival conference championship game loser.