Who Should the Cubs Draft Fourth Overall?

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
My question is who should the Cubs draft with the fourth pick overall in this year's draft? The Cubs will definitely take a starting pitcher with the fourth pick but who should it be? There are many intruging options like:

1. Carlos Rodon, LHP
  2. Tyler Kolek, RHP
  3. Luis Ortiz, RHP
  4. Tyler Beede, RHP
  5. Grant Holmes, RHP
  6. Touki Toussaint, RHP
  7. Jeff Hoffman, RHP

Thoughts? Opinions?

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I personally am hoping for (and think they'll take) Tyler Kolek.

But part of the anarchist in me wants them to take Alex Jackson, just so armchair GMs continue to think they know more than everyone else. :shifty:

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I doubt it's a foregone conclusion they will draft a pitcher. I imagine they will draft the best player available because that's what they've done the past 2 years. But whom that is at the moment is far to difficult to say.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Carlos Rodon is probably their first choice, a big power Lefty but
He probably will be taken.
I like Aaron Nola a RH from Louisiana State. He has great control and gets his Ks.. 1 BB per 9. 8 K per 9

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Tapatalk

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I doubt it's a foregone conclusion they will draft a pitcher. I imagine they will draft the best player available because that's what they've done the past 2 years. But whom that is at the moment is far to difficult to say.

There are no position players worth a top 5 pick. It will be a pitcher. The position players are weaker then the arms in the first round this year.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Rondon has dropped to people. He doesnt look as dominating. People are saying its highly unlikely the Cubs draft a HS pitcher because the odds are way against them. Kolek is a big power righty that would fit that huge risk factor. Tyler Beede has been linked to the Cubs a lot. People believe the Cubs will take a college pitcher and almost all scouts are in agreement that there are really no bats that are worthy of a top 5 pick.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Beede is probably the guy they want given the Vandy connection. Rondon might drop and he has been abused a bit this year throwing 134 pitches on short rest as exhibit A. I was in the boat of they take a position player like Trea Turner first and then load up on arms, but my opinion has been changed by people who know more than me saying that there are just too many good arms to pass at 4.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Beede is probably the guy they want given the Vandy connection. Rondon might drop and he has been abused a bit this year throwing 134 pitches on short rest as exhibit A. I was in the boat of they take a position player like Trea Turner first and then load up on arms, but my opinion has been changed by people who know more than me saying that there are just too many good arms to pass at 4.

Still 2-3 months to go. A lot can change. I just wouldn't assume at this point that the cubs are a lock to draft pitching because they passed on pitchers Theo's first year to draft Almora and they passed on pitchers to draft Bryant last year. They have been pretty steady in their plan to attack pitching in bulk rather than using a premium there. I also think it's a mistake to think you have to draft a pitcher top 10 to have an elite pitching candidate. Johnson was a sandwich round pick. Edwards was something like a 48th round pick. Obviously Edwards is more of a abnormality than a norm but it just goes to show how pitchers easily come out of no where. At the moment there don't appear to be a clear cut hitter that is of the Bryant level but again Bryant went nuts during the college season to rise to where he was drafted.

If I had to guess I would favor a pitcher but like I said I don't think it's a guarantee.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Still 2-3 months to go. A lot can change. I just wouldn't assume at this point that the cubs are a lock to draft pitching because they passed on pitchers Theo's first year to draft Almora and they passed on pitchers to draft Bryant last year. They have been pretty steady in their plan to attack pitching in bulk rather than using a premium there. I also think it's a mistake to think you have to draft a pitcher top 10 to have an elite pitching candidate. Johnson was a sandwich round pick. Edwards was something like a 48th round pick. Obviously Edwards is more of a abnormality than a norm but it just goes to show how pitchers easily come out of no where. At the moment there don't appear to be a clear cut hitter that is of the Bryant level but again Bryant went nuts during the college season to rise to where he was drafted.

If I had to guess I would favor a pitcher but like I said I don't think it's a guarantee.
Far from guaranteed, but all the press and a few others I have heard have said that the arms are just so much farther ahead of the bats that it wouldn't be shocking if it is pitchers for the first five or six spots in all honesty.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

They should always draft the best talent with that pick. Almora was not a better pick than Appel. They drafted due to signability. Bryant IMO was the top talent that draft.

This year if a bat projects better than a arm at 4 then draft that, If a pitcher is better draft that. If they have been rubbing shoulders with the Vandi kid and there are 4 pitchers on the board at that pick and they chose him I would call that a signability pick.

Sign ability is why the Cubs system sucks. Jackson: Signability. Colvin: Signability. Hayden Simpson Signability.

From 2005 until now: Only H.S. picks: Pawelek, Vitters, Baez, Almora, Blackburn. Out of 13 first round picks.

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
They way the Cubs have been hitting lately they may not take a pitcher. Obvious they need pitching to but the offense looks even worst, jeff samardzija has been awesome with a 1.29 era and still can't get a win. More than likely though, they will take the best player available.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
They way the Cubs have been hitting lately they may not take a pitcher. Obvious they need pitching to but the offense looks even worst, jeff samardzija has been awesome with a 1.29 era and still can't get a win. More than likely though, they will take the best player available.

Not the NBA. You can not draft to fix current problems. You draft for the long term.

The hitting problems are due to the Ricketts being cheap

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
Not the NBA. You can not draft to fix current problems. You draft for the long term.
I'm taking long term also. Like all sports you draft for the position of need and will need which is apart of the future. You just need to draft the right players.

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA using Tapatalk 2

CSF77

Liked Posts:
False. You draft the best player. By the time that top pick is ready the needs will change.

Again if you need a catcher now you trade or sign a F/A. Not draft a catcher round 1 (unless he is the best talent) and wait 3-5 years for him to "maybe" develop.

That is Special person thinking

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Take A-Ram. What Hendry should have done is draft corner IF back 2006-8 with higher picks. By the time his contract came up there would be more than Vitters as a answer. Not to mention no answer for Lee.

That is planning for the future needs. Looking at the system pitching sucks. They need top of the rotation talent. They have gone after depth the last 2 but need to gather more arms like Edwards.

Position wise they could use a LH basher. Non 1B type. That is a now need though but the system lacks a LH power hitter other than Vogy who is blocked by Rizzo.

But they need to go after pitching. You are never wrong building up a solid stable of pitching from with in.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Take A-Ram. What Hendry should have done is draft corner IF back 2006-8 with higher picks. By the time his contract came up there would be more than Vitters as a answer. Not to mention no answer for Lee.

That is planning for the future needs. Looking at the system pitching sucks. They need top of the rotation talent. They have gone after depth the last 2 but need to gather more arms like Edwards.

Position wise they could use a LH basher. Non 1B type. That is a now need though but the system lacks a LH power hitter other than Vogy who is blocked by Rizzo.

But they need to go after pitching. You are never wrong building up a solid stable of pitching from with in.

I might be wrong on some but from what I remember, there is Rasmus, Sandoval, Markakis, Melky Cabrera, or trade for Weiters of the Orioles and solve the LH power problem. He is only 1 year older than Castillo, and he switch hits and has a fair AVG. and OBP. :yep:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I might be wrong on some but from what I remember, there is Rasmus, Sandoval, Markakis, Melky Cabrera, or trade for Weiters of the Orioles and solve the LH power problem. He is only 1 year older than Castillo, and he switch hits and has a fair AVG. and OBP. :yep:

I was looking at the Braves just now. Seeing how they lost 2 of their SP they might be a target for either Shark or Hammel later year. They are getting good results as of yet from the makeshift. 1 guy I was looking at was Todd Cunningham. OF in AAA. S/H light on the power ranked at a 30 but speed and arm are very good and has a good hit tool. Him and a top 20 arm from their system would make sense. Todd would fit in as a CF/lead off S/H in the same age bracket as the youth wave up coming. Not to mention he makes for flexibility later on went Almora promotes up.

It doesn't solve the LH power issue but solves another issue of a long term lead off solution. Bonificao is doing very well right now but history and age are working against any sort of long term solution.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Todd Cunningham

Scouting Grades: Hit: 45 | Power: 30 | Run: 60 | Arm: 50 | Field: 60 | Overall: 45
Cunningham earns praise for being a heady player and getting the most out of his tools. A switch-hitter, he makes consistent contact from both sides of the plate. He has minimal power, instead using his plus speed to help him get on base and make things happen. He doesn't strike out much and has gotten better at drawing walks, which helps him fit at the top of the order.

Cunningham is an excellent defender. He has a good arm and is capable of playing all three outfield positions.

While Cunningham made his Major League debut in 2013; he wasn't able to repeat his breakout 2012 campaign. It won't be easy to break into the crowded outfield in Atlanta, but he could soon contribute in a reserve role.

sulleymon

Liked Posts:
I like what they've been doing. Picking the top hitter available and then going volume with arms. Arms are just so hard to predict given risk of injury that it's better to do what they've done, even with a stud like Gray on the board.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Okay people, arms are more riskier but at this moment no bats are worth a top 5 pick. They arent going to pass up a better player just because they are bigger injury risk. The only way they would do that is if, in fact, that pitchers has had injury problems or delivery is so funky that he is a TJ candidate in two years.