positions of need.

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
just trying to gage what everyone thinks here. what is the bears top 5 positions of need in your opinion?

for me right now its

1. dt
2. s
3. cb
4. mlb
5. rb

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
1.) Both safety positions. Not a good player on the roster right now.

2.) DT

3.) CB

4.) MLB

5.) HB
even with the fa's that were brought in you still think s is number one interesting

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
1 DT
2 S
3 CB
4 TE
5 MLB

te could be switched with rb on my list had trouble deciding that one went rb because the higher tendancy of injuries to rb's imo

Sentinel

Liked Posts:
even with the fa's that were brought in you still think s is number one interesting

I have no idea who's going to start because there's not a starting-quality safety on the roster.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
te could be switched with rb on my list had trouble deciding that one went rb because the higher tendancy of injuries to rb's imo

That was a tough one for me but I think there are some serviceable FA running backs still available that could fit the bill......however you'll see in my sig that if the right RB presented himself for the right value in the right round I would have no problem selecting him.

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
That was a tough one for me but I think there are some serviceable FA running backs still available that could fit the bill......however you'll see in my sig that if the right RB presented himself for the right value in the right round I would have no problem selecting him.

lol that would be an excellent choice guy is seriously good and shit ya not hes a forte clone

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have no idea who's going to start because there's not a starting-quality safety on the roster.

I think you can pencil in Ryan Mundy at the SS position. He is signed for a couple years. He is listed as a FS but projects better at the SS. If Dix or Pryor is available I think the Bears will jump on them.

The Bears are seeming to want to emulate the Seattle defense. (I understand why). Seattle has a good safety combo and there are plenty of decent DTs available. I could easily see the Bears S then DT.

A combo of Dix/Pryor and Mundy would be ok with me.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
1. FS/SS - we have ZERO good players, i could see drafting two
2. DT - shore it up and it'll help the secondary
3. CB - getting old, bit banged up
4. RB - if Forte goes down we are SCREWED
5. TE - i'd love to get a 2nd TE that can play, not just block

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
lol that would be an excellent choice guy is seriously good and shit ya not hes a forte clone

I honestly don't know if he will make it to the fourth but if he is there I would scoop him up. If we get a Safety DT combo we want in the first two rounds I would not fault the Bears for taking him in the third. And selecting an athletic but risky CB in the fourth like Exum.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think some people are hoping for a a near complete rebuild in this 1 offseason and thats why they put 2 safeties at the top need.

I think with a longer term view, DT takes on an even higher priority. Need to build from the line out and there is zero impact talent at 3 tech right now - the most important position in a 1 gap 43.

Sentinel

Liked Posts:
I think you can pencil in Ryan Mundy at the SS position. He is signed for a couple years. He is listed as a FS but projects better at the SS. If Dix or Pryor is available I think the Bears will jump on them.

The Bears are seeming to want to emulate the Seattle defense. (I understand why). Seattle has a good safety combo and there are plenty of decent DTs available. I could easily see the Bears S then DT.

A combo of Dix/Pryor and Mundy would be ok with me.

I like the idea of drafting Pryor at 14, starting him at FS and moving him to SS when we draft a roaming center-fielder type FS (hopefully) next year.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think some people are hoping for a a near complete rebuild in this 1 offseason and thats why they put 2 safeties at the top need.

I think with a longer term view, DT takes on an even higher priority. Need to build from the line out and there is zero impact talent at 3 tech right now - the most important position in a 1 gap 43.

BPA with an eye on need........I don't see us taking two safeties to instantly start.......Mundy is going to be starting on this team most likely as a SS depending on how our draft goes.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Here's a thought for next time you're trying to gauge what people think: Read any of the 702 threads on the subject of the draft!

(Sorry - i am extremely pissed after the Hawks game!)

Sentinel

Liked Posts:

I didn't mean they were the biggest areas to target in next month's draft, if that's what you thought I was implying by putting both safety positions as the top need.

Simply that those are our biggest needs. We 'need' two new safeties. I don't think we'll be fixing every position on the defense this offseason, as is evident in my previous post ITT.

The Burning Bear

Liked Posts:
Went to make a reply, giving reasons and whatnot, and ended up with a fairly long post. In fact, holy shit that's long. Time to drop that in a spoiler so I don't take up the entire page. When thinking about it I aimed for more immediate needs, rather than what we're going to need three years down the line. - TL;DR basically everything is a need, and my opinions are stupid. Without further ado - the very reason I don't post that often!

1. 3-Tech DT - it's the biggest need by far. We have no legitimate starters there, unless you consider Ratliff starter quality, but for me he didn't seem all that great last year - just better than what we were used to. 3-Tech is one of the most important positions on our defense, if we don't get a new one in the draft I'll be pretty dissapointed. (Spell check thinks I mean disjointed.... lol.)

2. Both safeties - Another position where I'm not sure we have much. Mundy may turn out to be average, but I'm not optimistic about the rest of them. it isn't quite as important to the overall play of our defense, but no matter what position it is if you don't really have anyone capable of playing it competently it will make life much more difficult.

3. Linebacker in general - I actually am a lot more worried about our linebacker corps than a lot of people around here seem to be. Either Bostic or Shea may do well enough to earn a starting spot on the outside, but we need some sort of contingency plan. Taking two shitty players from other positions and having them compete for another spot doesn't quite inspire confidence. At middle linebacker, DJ was not good at all last year and was actually the target of a lot of hate when he was healthy, having a lot of people calling for Bostic to start. Once Bostic managed to be worse though, everyone forgot about it. Even at the beginning of the year the defensive line wasn't anything special though, so that probably contributed a bit. Briggs is the only player here I am sure can play well next year.

4. NT - Separated this one from 3-Tech as it isn't quite the same thing, and isn't as much of a need - We need an Aaron Donald more than a Louis Nix. (Not saying we should draft either, just using a couple big names as an example.) Paea isn't elite, but he's been part of a very good defensive line in the past and is solid enough to live with if we can get a good supporting cast around him. Hell, Ratliff may end up winning the spot - who knows. Point is, it's not an ideal situation and I definitely think if we have the opportunity to get better at the position go ahead, but we can survive with what we have now at the moment.

5. CB - This finds itself pretty far down the list due to the fact whoever we bring in might not even end up playing nickel. Frey, much like Paea isn't an amazing player, but he isn't going to be the downfall of our defense. We've already got two pro-bowl caliber corners starting. We definitely need to plan for the future, but I'm not too worried about CB at the moment. Only thing that scares me is Tillman going down/being sidelined a lot like last year.

6. #2 TE - It gets the win over backup running back simply because a second tight end would see the field a lot more unless there is an injury, and I'm really not sure who we plan on lining up here next year. Can't imagine a damned seventh rounder wouldn't be better than what we have right now.

7. Backup running back - Ford could end up being good, but hasn't shown enough yet to rely on him in the case Forte goes down. To add to that, it'd probably be best if Forte could take a breather every once in a while.

Flame away!

EaCoBear

Liked Posts:
1) FS
2) DT
3) CB
4) TE
5) RB
6) OT
7) MLB

However if Phil evaluates Conte and likes him, then I could see him not drafting one early.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
1) FS
2) DT
3) CB
4) TE
5) RB
6) OT
7) MLB

However if Phil evaluates Conte and likes him, then I could see him not drafting one early.

It is possible. I would still take Dix or Pryor over Conte. If they are gone I don't see a replacement for Conte in the draft.