Just a fact...

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
I'm not really blaming him. But from the cubs perspective, it makes it hard to get the best value possible as it takes away a lot of their leverage.

And unfortunately, if the Cubs are ever going to land a marquis player, they are going to have to bend because their are too many teams that will do it.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
And unfortunately, if the Cubs are ever going to land a marquis player, they are going to have to bend because their are too many teams that will do it.

Agreed. The problem honestly was that the cubs were a 70 win team and not an 80 win team. At 80 wins you're probably trying to trade for people rather than to trade Soriano. At 80 wins NTC's generally don't matter. So, to some extent I can see why they are cautious with premier guys when they are in the 60's in wins. However, I would really like to see them start getting more mid tier guys.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
No trade clauses suck.... just sayin'

Again, the NTC that Hendry doled out was irrelevant.

Soriano would have had no trade under the 10/5 rule.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Right-hander Corey Black, the Cubs' No. 16 prospect, threw six hitless innings Wednesday as Double-A Tennessee defeated Birmingham, 9-1.

In his first win in Double-A, Black struck out eight batters and allowed three walks in six innings. He threw 91 pitches before being relieved by P.J. Francescon to start the seventh inning.

The Smokies' no-hit bid ended soon after Francescon took over. The second batter of the seventh inning, right fielder Josh Richmond, broke it up with a single. Though Birmingham would scratch out another hit and a run in the eighth inning, Francescon completed the final three innings to earn a save.

Black has pitched well since the Cubs acquired him from the Yankees in exchange for Alfonso Soriano last July. In 42 innings in nine games with his new organization, Black has a 2.79 ERA and a 44-to-22 strikeout-to-walk ratio.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
So we have: Black putting up some solid numbers in a trade for Sori....Ya next.

diavolos

Liked Posts:
Since being acquired by the Yankees on July 26 2013, Alfonso Soriano leads the MLB with 21 HRs.

the albatross can play you mean? they could've kept him around and he could've been productive?

seriously, the cubs have lost me. it was a daily obsession for the last 30+ years. and now to see them not even trying to win is just really really insultingly bad. i can't believe anyone is still a fan. honestly. the last two years are the two worst in the history of the franchise. this season is also shaping up to be just as bad--yet, the "plan"!

diavolos

Liked Posts:
meanwhile, the bears, blackhawks, white sox, chicago fire, chicago bulls are all trying to field competitive teams--are trying to win. all the cubs have are excuses: the previous owners, the neighborhood, wrigley renovations, sam zell's leveraged deal, nothing (supposedly) in the minors, soriano's supposed "albatross" contract, etc. etc. (excuses, excuses).

is it just me, but has anyone noticed that every other major sport team (and yes i'm counting soccer) has won a championship in chicago since 1985?

diavolos

Liked Posts:
hell even the wolves and rush won a championship or two.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
meanwhile, the bears, blackhawks, white sox, chicago fire, chicago bulls are all trying to field competitive teams--are trying to win. all the cubs have are excuses: the previous owners, the neighborhood, wrigley renovations, sam zell's leveraged deal, nothing (supposedly) in the minors, soriano's supposed "albatross" contract, etc. etc. (excuses, excuses).

is it just me, but has anyone noticed that every other major sport team (and yes i'm counting soccer) has won a championship in chicago since 1985?

Wah wah wah throw your sippy cup and whine some more!

sent from Jimmer range using Tapatalk

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
wow, amazing analysis. please enlighten us why/how i'm wrong.

I said you're whining. Which is exactly what you're doing. I don't particularly care what you said because you say it in every post you write.

diavolos

Liked Posts:
I said you're whining. Which is exactly what you're doing. I don't particularly care what you said because you say it in every post you write.

put me on your ignore list then big boy.

since we're critiquing posts, i don't see much in your posts that would make me think differently or think at all. the fact that you can comprehend words, in itself based on your post history, is shocking.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is nothing more than a political thread. Both sides bitching about the other side. I think South Park sums it up nice.

[video=youtube;9gSQg1i_q2g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gSQg1i_q2g[/video]

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

I don't consider what the White Sox are doing as "trying to win". Their MiLB system is thin, too. I can't really say that the Bulls FO is trying to win either. They seem to have been content with putting teams together that win regular season ballgames. They aren't built for postseason runs, so is that really trying?

Any Cubs ownership loses me when they need Wrigley Field. There is no team that needs a ball park. If you build one, they will come.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
put me on your ignore list then big boy.

since we're critiquing posts, i don't see much in your posts that would make me think differently or think at all. the fact that you can comprehend words, in itself based on your post history, is shocking.

It's pretty exhausting reading through landfill that is this forum anymore. Half want change. Half want to see where what is happening goes. I can't really understand why you're going to personally attack prior posts that I have made that you probably haven't even read. If you're going to critique me, critique one of my actual posts not my face palms at the garbage that many spew around here.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
On a positive note according to Bleacher report we are 29th in power rankings ahead of the D-Backs.... Call it luck, improvement, or an act of god... But hey we could be worse, right?.....

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
For those that support the "stay the course" how long should that be?

diavolos

Liked Posts:
I don't consider what the White Sox are doing as "trying to win". Their MiLB system is thin, too. I can't really say that the Bulls FO is trying to win either. They seem to have been content with putting teams together that win regular season ballgames. They aren't built for postseason runs, so is that really trying?

Any Cubs ownership loses me when they need Wrigley Field. There is no team that needs a ball park. If you build one, they will come.

i agree with this to an extent. what the cubs needs is the location and the features. but as far as the actual field, it's a dump and should be demolished, in my opinion. they could easily build a new ballpark with the same features in the same location: open outfield, stand configuration roughly the same, proximity of seats to the field, charming architecture, ivy. but make the facilities better, get more bathrooms, vendors, etc. in there. i think if you build a new wrigley or a new camden yards for instance, and put it out in the suburbs, the cubs will actually lose a huge percentage of their fanbase. let's face it, people like the urban location and all that entails.

not for nothing, wrigley is one of the two biggest destination ballparks for visiting fans. if you lose the location, reds fans aren't necessarily going to drive out to lombard (i'm just picking burbs) to see a game.

maybe there's a case that if they built something new even with the same features, the charm won't be there anymore? maybe? i'm on the fence here a bit. i've seen tons of cubs game there, and it's a dump. sure, it's our dump, but it is still a dump. the concrete is failing down, there's posts, seats are uncomfortable, facilities for both men and women stink. undeniable charm though!

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:

I've said 3-5 years more so 5. It wasn't a quick fix.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

Its not stay the course. The Cubs have to sign FA. They have to many holes not to. They also def. need a front of the rotation starter and a left handed bat at least. The Cubs have a strong farm and weak major league team. I have a hard time believing Theo just punted to punt. I mean these men are competitive. It comes down to Ricketts. He has to open the pocket book. All this bullshit that the Cubs will add FA's when its to put them over the top. Thats just bullshit. Its a money thing. I would venture to guess Ricketts will release money after the WGN deal this year. They will make a good bit more money. I think Theo will be itchy to sign some players. He knows his job is going to rely on it. He doesnt sign FA next year then I am with all these people going ape shit. Next year is perfect timing because you should have Baez, Bryant, and Alcantara up. A mixture of young and vets could propel this team quickly.