Four Possible Trade Scenarios

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
  1. Nate Schierholtz (OF) for Jason Adam, Royals (RHP)
  2. Jason Hammel (RHP) for Francisco Peguero, Orioles (OF)
  3. Darwin Barney (2B) for Kevin Ziomek, Tigers (LHP)
  4. Jeff Samardzija (RHP) for Marcus Stroman, Blue Jays (RHP)
I like the Samardzija trade the most. Could tremendously benefit us down the the road. Thoughts? Opinions?

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I don't think the Cubs' trade landscape will start to take shape after the Super 2 time period is up. I expect another influx of talent soon from the minors. Arismendy Alcantara is torching the ball right now, and if he starts to draw some more walks (he's only drawn 2 so far), Darwin Barney becomes totally expendable with Bonifacio, Valbuena and even Lake all capable of playing second. Logan Watkins (also a second baseman) and Matt Szczur have shown discipline at the plate. Both guys offer speed on the basepaths and Szczur is good enough defensively to have value at the major league level with that skill set alone.

I'm totally against dealing Samardzija at this point. Ditto for Wood. And honestly, if Hammel keeps pitching like this, I'd really like the Cubs to try and extend him as well. Kyle Hendricks should get a look later this year, so hopefully that pushes Carlos V completely out of the rotation and lets Edwin Jackson slide down another peg. The starting rotation has some substance. Grimm and Rondon have both looked solid. Strop has had his hiccups, but I still think he's a guy that needs to stay. Pieces are starting to fall into place, the huge glaring need is still lineup protection for Rizzo and Castro.

So -- in terms of "likeliest to get dealt", I've got Barney, Schierholtz, Samardzija, Villaneuva, Hammel and Veras, in that order.

Chris J

Chris Jelinek
Liked Posts:
Cubs will get a lot bigger package for Shark, especially if his ERA remains under 3. Storman and Sanchez from the Blue Jays,, then we are talking.

Braves have some arms but most of them are really young. Sims is the only top 100 arm but a lot of them have the potential to be.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Cubs will get a lot bigger package for Shark, especially if his ERA remains under 3. Storman and Sanchez from the Blue Jays,, then we are talking.

To yourselves. Unless the plan is to package a Bryant with Shark on the deal for the two pitchers.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
To yourselves. Unless the plan is to package a Bryant with Shark on the deal for the two pitchers.

This will shape up more closer to the trade deadline. Hammel I believe will the easier sell like Feldman was last year.

Shark if he sustains this will cost more as he has a year of control. It will be pricey.

Schierholtz needs to up his production. Right now he is not worth anything.

Barney is a league UI. Dime a dozen and most teams have a 2B like that in their system. Not seeing any trade value here.

The only curve here is if the Yanks make a trade for Castro to back fill for Jeter in 2015. With Baez close it would make sense from the Cubs perspective.

If they could get Manny Banuelos (0-0 2.84 ERA is looking like what he was pre injury) and another player; I would jump at that.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
This will shape up more closer to the trade deadline. Hammel I believe will the easier sell like Feldman was last year.

Shark if he sustains this will cost more as he has a year of control. It will be pricey.

Schierholtz needs to up his production. Right now he is not worth anything.

Barney is a league UI. Dime a dozen and most teams have a 2B like that in their system. Not seeing any trade value here.

The only curve here is if the Yanks make a trade for Castro to back fill for Jeter in 2015. With Baez close it would make sense from the Cubs perspective.

If they could get Manny Banuelos (0-0 2.84 ERA is looking like what he was pre injury) and another player; I would jump at that.

Shark will cost more than what teams were offering, but not a team's top two prospects who happen to be starting pitchers.

I could see that Yankee deal in a heartbeat and makes a lot of sense all around.

Chris J

Chris Jelinek
Liked Posts:

If he continues to dominate, there's a possibility. Depends on the market as well. Blue Jays are the best match because they are a lot of pitching. I dont think the Yankees have enough at all.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
If he continues to dominate, there's a possibility. Depends on the market as well. Blue Jays are the best match because they are a lot of pitching. I dont think the Yankees have enough at all.

They had Black who was under the radar. He is excelling as a starter in AA now. Manny looks to be back. They have legit pieces.

Looking at the Yanks:

Nova 60 day DL.
Nuno #5 SP.

McCann 5 year 85 mil deal
#1 prospect

Gary Sanchez #3 catching prospect in baseball. playing in AA.
Manny Banuelos LHP in FSL right now but has been in the minors sense 2008. He just needs to prove he is back from TJS.
Was the #1 LHP prospect in baseball a few years back. Only 23 still. Age is right.

Getting those 2 would be worth Shark. Now they do not have depth. That is a problem for them but they have some pieces.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

no. wont happen. save this post.

Sent from my Rotary Phone using Tapatalk

Liked Posts:

No, he was correct about that. Shark will get more than one promising prospect, especially if his era is still good. Although, the Blue Jays might be somewhat timid after giving up a lot to the Mets and Marlins only to have minimal results.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
No, he was correct about that. Shark will get more than one promising prospect, especially if his era is still good. Although, the Blue Jays might be somewhat timid after giving up a lot to the Mets and Marlins only to have minimal results.

Im not saying he won't but for those two a bryant/almora will need to be in on it

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Im not saying he won't but for those two a bryant/almora will need to be in on it

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

So, you are saying that Shark a 200 plus inning guy with at least a year and half control and a top 15 which by midseason will be in the top 10 prospect in baseball for the 21 ranked and a mid 50s ranked prospect. I would absolutely slap the Cubs. Blue Jays would win that trade by a mile. You have a proven starter that is pitching like an Ace(Consistency is his problem and I am not saying he is an ace unless he puts together a full season). Plus, a guy with top 5 power potential in the league that is flying through the minors for that package. No way, no fucking how. Has anyone seen Sanchez walk rate this year?

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Also, Sanchez has had shoulder soreness in the past. Shark has not had anything. No way, no fucking how.

The Yankees dont have what the Cubs want. I dont see a match there.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
So, you are saying that Shark a 200 plus inning guy with at least a year and half control and a top 15 which by midseason will be in the top 10 prospect in baseball for the 21 ranked and a mid 50s ranked prospect. I would absolutely slap the Cubs. Blue Jays would win that trade by a mile. You have a proven starter that is pitching like an Ace(Consistency is his problem and I am not saying he is an ace unless he puts together a full season). Plus, a guy with top 5 power potential in the league that is flying through the minors for that package. No way, no ...how. Has anyone seen Sanchez walk rate this year?

And you're wrong about that.

I don't think I am off at all. I think there is a severe undervaluing/overvaluing here. Somethings that have to get considered here.
Trading away your two best prospects requires a good return. Trading away your two best prospects that are considered among the very best requires a great return. Trading away your two best prospects that are considered among the very best and are also starting pitchers, requires an even greater return. Shark has never pitched in the AL, and to boot he'd be pitching in the AL East. He's going to be a free agent after the 2015 season unless he signs which he to me at least hasn't been so willing to do. He's also older than the mileage on his arm which may or may not be a good thing. It's a total unknown.

I'm not saying I am right about the package, but I am not that far off at all.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sanchez is a starter. Stroman they don't know if he will be able to stay a starter. He has one plus pitch and an above average fastball. His change could be above average but it isn't at this point. He is also only 5'9. He is basically cj Edwards without as good as stuff but better control. A lot if people peg him for a future closer over a future starter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Liked Posts:
I don't think I am off at all. I think there is a severe undervaluing/overvaluing here. Somethings that have to get considered here.
Trading away your two best prospects requires a good return. Trading away your two best prospects that are considered among the very best requires a great return. Trading away your two best prospects that are considered among the very best and are also starting pitchers, requires an even greater return. Shark has never pitched in the AL, and to boot he'd be pitching in the AL East. He's going to be a free agent after the 2015 season unless he signs which he to me at least hasn't been so willing to do. He's also older than the mileage on his arm which may or may not be a good thing. It's a total unknown.

I'm not saying I am right about the package, but I am not that far off at all.

If that's the best you can do, maybe you should stop thinking. You're. Most definitely wrong. Just stop while you're behind. A guy with no history of injury and an era under 3.5, never mind under 3.0 is going to get more than a pitcher for a pitcher. And to add to the laughs, you're talking about throwing in boot.

What you're saying is so ridiculous, it's obvious you're just trying to tweak Cubs fans. GTF out!

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
If that's the best you can do, maybe you should stop thinking. You're. Most definitely wrong. Just stop while you're behind. A guy with no history of injury and an era under 3.5, never mind under 3.0 is going to get more than a pitcher for a pitcher. And to add to the laughs, you're talking about throwing in boot.

What you're saying is so ridiculous, it's obvious you're just trying to tweak Cubs fans. GTF out!

I dont think he is trying to start an uproar. He just always undervalue Cubs players and prospects because he doesnt like the Cubs and he thinks the AL is superior. All fans can overvalue their players, but I am being level headed here and I would go ape shit if any kind of trade like that happened.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I dont think he is trying to start an uproar. He just always undervalue Cubs players and prospects because he doesnt like the Cubs and he thinks the AL is superior. All fans can overvalue their players, but I am being level headed here

Well at least someone who dissents with me can be an intellectual about this.

back to the peaceful discussion....

You are right, I am not trying to start an uproar. SilenceS and others know when I am doing that. In fact I will do that next week by bumping an old thread.
I feel you and others severely over value the Cubs players and factually it seems major league baseball agrees with me by not giving up the quality the Cubs want.
You are right that I don't like the Cubs. Well, they are my 30th favorite team pending expansion :)
I do think the AL is the better league and I think IL play has shown that, but it is also cyclical.
I hear ya about hating the trade, but I think TOR fans would as well if it were those two guys for Shark. I know if I had those pitchers for a guy like Shark (see, I am avoiding the bias) I would be upset.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I disliked 2323 for his personal attack post. I am sure he'll respond in kind. Typical.