Straight baseball talk

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Not trying to kill the thread, but if they raise zone from top of the head to the top of the toe, and widen the zone by one foot both ways, the Cubs would have a really good staff. :lol:

They do have a good starting staff already.

Chris Bosio is boss

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Brett05 - look at the important words before "top of the shoulders". It says "the upper limit of which is a horizontal line at the midpoint between the..." Midpoint def.- "a point at or near the middle of, or equidistant from, both ends, as of a line". IOW, what's the middle point if you drew a line between the top of the shoulders and top of the pants (belt)? That's somwhere around the bottom of the ribcage. It isn't at the armpits.

That's exactly what I did. I took the top of my shoulder to the top of my pants. Divided in half and for me it's the pits. I also did some looks when searching for the rule that you nailed and they had a picture showing the mid point being the pits as well. :shrug: the bottom of my rib cage is only three inches from my best and 15+ inches from the top of my shoulder.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
That's exactly what I did. I took the top of my shoulder to the top of my pants. Divided in half and for me it's the pits. I also did some looks when searching for the rule that you nailed and they had a picture showing the mid point being the pits as well. :shrug: the bottom of my rib cage is only three inches from my best and 15+ inches from the top of my shoulder.
Do you wear your pants like Erkel? :D
Seriously, I think we're losing something in the translation over the internet that would take about 20 seconds in person to be in complete agreement. :shrug:

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Do you wear your pants like Erkel? :D
Seriously, I think we're losing something in the translation over the internet that would take about 20 seconds in person to be in complete agreement. :shrug:

No, I might have eaten him, but I am not that thin. :)

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
I get it. but why ignore all the other variables that make up a team and whether they win or lose? there is much more to this franchise good and bad besides shark and castro. just sayin....

Sent from my Rotary Phone using Tapatalk

There are a lot of other threads for that. I just want to talk the game here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
Jose Quintana's sequencing is ridiculous. Travis Wood and he are cut from that Mark Buehrle mold. Really fun to watch if you're paying attention.

theberserkfury

Liked Posts:
Jose Quintana's sequencing is ridiculous. Travis Wood and he are cut from that Mark Buehrle mold. Really fun to watch if you're paying attention.

I'm not paying attention... what's ridiculous about it?

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
I'm not paying attention... what's ridiculous about it?

He uses a cutter, FB and a change along with location to keep hitters off balance. Opening AB was a FB on the outer black at 91, two junk Changeups (one that induced a whiff) and then a cutter on the inner black that produced a backwards k. Everything located well, and he does that stuff a lot.

Changes eye levels and hits all quadrants of the zone. He's fuuuuuuun

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
They do have a good starting staff already.

Chris Bosio is boss

E-Jax and Villanueva? Yeap.......nuff said! Veras in relief? nuff said!

And BTW, if you have a good staff, they generally all shouldn't be rumored to be on the trading block either.

As a rule, you usually keep a good staff together. :yep:

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
E-Jax and Villanueva? Yeap.......nuff said! Veras in relief? nuff said!

And BTW, if you have a good staff, they generally all shouldn't be rumored to be on the trading block either.

As a rule, you usually keep a good staff together. :yep:

Oh, so the definition of a good staff means you have all top notch pitching? Seriously? I mean I am a Cub Hater and I am sorry, props are due.

Now as to trading folks away, that's completely off topic

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:

Quintana and Wood being more than 4's is still a shock to me. Interestingly both outpitched their peripherals by a far margin last year (Quintana two years in a row), but both are underperforming them right now. Both of which indicate potential career years if the performance starts to match much less if they begin to follow what they've shown a knack for doing, e.g. generating a lot of IFFB which depresses BABIP.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

Which is why I'm really excited about the potential of seeing Kyle Hendricks sometime at Wrigley this year. I've watched some extended vids of last year and he just seems really savvy with where his sequencing goes. Does a good job changing speeds and moving the ball around the plate.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
I think my favorite pitch in baseball right now is Jake Peavy's FB. It's not great, but I just like watching it.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I think my favorite pitch in baseball right now is Jake Peavy's FB. It's not great, but I just like watching it.

Wainwright's curve on a 1-2 count is kind of like climbing Cristo Redentor to watch the sunrise. That's my fav. Up there with Jose F's slider, Craig Kimbrel doing anything in a one-run game and Kenley Jansen's off speed stuff.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Oh, so the definition of a good staff means you have all top notch pitching? Seriously? I mean I am a Cub Hater and I am sorry, props are due.

Now as to trading folks away, that's completely off topic

#4 and #5 suck for the Cubs. Wood is not going to get better, and in fact, probably will regress. Hammel? The jury is still out as to I would like to see how he pitches in warmer weather, and when the wind is blowing in Wrigley. Shark? I believe you had stated that he was overvalued by Cubs fans. I was just playing into your analysis, and he is playing for a contract extension or showing off for future teams, however you want to spin it.

If they are doing this in July, I will gladly take back what I said.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
Wainwright's curve on a 1-2 count is kind of like climbing Cristo Redentor to watch the sunrise. That's my fav. Up there with Jose F's slider, Craig Kimbrel doing anything in a one-run game and Kenley Jansen's off speed stuff.

Those are all solid. I'd add in Verlander's change when it was great as well.

Love me some changeup. Koji has a great split change as well.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Those are all solid. I'd add in Verlander's change when it was great as well.

Love me some changeup. Koji has a great split change as well.

Verlander's repertoire during his MVP season was like when you played MVP Baseball 2004 and jacked up your created pitcher's stats to 99. So tasty.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
#4 and #5 suck for the Cubs. Wood is not going to get better, and in fact, probably will regress. Hammel? The jury is still out as to I would like to see how he pitches in warmer weather, and when the wind is blowing in Wrigley. Shark? I believe you had stated that he was overvalued by Cubs fans. I was just playing into your analysis, and he is playing for a contract extension or showing off for future teams, however you want to spin it.

If they are doing this in July, I will gladly take back what I said.

Wood and Hammel probably do regress, but still could settle very much above average. And Shark isn't in a contract year. And after regressing last year he's really put it together. My analysis is Cub fans do have him rated too high. He was a 75-100 guy, now off the top of my head he's a top 50 or maybe even a top 25-30 type from most desired.

Finally back to Shark, aren't we all playing for Contracts/Teams? Give me those types.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Yeesh, can we plz talk about the Orioles defense? Metrics really like this squad. And watching these guys perform routine plays is really enjoyable. Weiters, Adam Jones, Machado, Hardy... all supreme defenders.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
Read an article from BR complaining about the infield and how they shouldn't have let Cano go. Got a kick out of how many times he stated that the boss never would've let him walk.

sent from Jimmer range using Tapatalk