Emery Press Conference Shocker

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I watched Emery's complete press conference last night and noticed one shocking detail.

Early on, he mentions that right after the Giants picked, everyone was very happy because 3 of their 6 targeted players where still available and they were going to get a very good football player.

Later on, he clearly states more than once that when they were up to draft (in fact, Brad Biggs asks him several times at one point), actually on the clock, they had 3 of their targeted players still available.

So, if the Bears had 3 of their targeted player available after the Giants picked and 3 of their targeted players available when they were on the clock at 14, the person picked at 13 by the Rams was not on their list of 6 targeted players.

It seems that Donald wasn't going to be a Bear even if he were there at 14.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
It does seem like Fuller was their guy.

In a way I'm kind of glad Donald was gone, because if he was on the board and Emery passed on him I'd be fucking pissed.

I'm liking the Fuller pick more and more, my only concern is that we are incredibly lacking at the most important position in a 1-gap scheme(3-tech), so.. hopefully we can land a quality 3-tech tomorrow. I'd love Hageman in the second.

Trantor

Liked Posts:
You heard something wrong there. He said that after the Giants had made their pick, they knew they were going to be getting a really good football player. And later said that when they were on the clock at 14, that three of their six players were still there. He never said that three were left on the board after the Giant's pick. That statement was specifically in relation to when they were picking at 14.

The insinuation here is that two of their most coveted players were still on the board after the Giants picked, and that the others in the six behind them weren't as highly regarded. That Fuller was one of those two. And it's probably a pretty safe bet that Donald was the other.

Menchifus

Liked Posts:
Somehow in the back of my mind I didn't think he wanted Donald either. He has mentioned before that he wants to clog up the line of scrimmage with a run-stuffing DT. He also knows that this is Tillman's last year. I'm sure they have a draft board already for next offseason and he probably didn't like the CB prospects next year.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
Somehow in the back of my mind I didn't think he wanted Donald either. He has mentioned before that he wants to clog up the line of scrimmage with a run-stuffing DT. He also knows that this is Tillman's last year. I'm sure they have a draft board already for next offseason and he probably didn't like the CB prospects next year.

I hope this bs I keep hearing spewed around he is false, because clogging up the line with run stuffers in a 1-gap 4-3 equals a shit D. A penetrating 3-tech is the most important piece, yet time and time again people around here act like we run a fucking 2-gap 3-4.

dabearsjjk

Liked Posts:
Like stated before you have to draft how the draft is going. Being the first pick isnt always the best.

No DTs have been picked (to amount to anything)
But CBs are being picked.
Get a CB while you can
PLenty of DT still in the second round.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I watched Emery's complete press conference last night and noticed one shocking detail.

Early on, he mentions that right after the Giants picked, everyone was very happy because 3 of their 6 targeted players where still available and they were going to get a very good football player.

Later on, he clearly states more than once that when they were up to draft (in fact, Brad Biggs asks him several times at one point), actually on the clock, they had 3 of their targeted players still available.

So, if the Bears had 3 of their targeted player available after the Giants picked and 3 of their targeted players available when they were on the clock at 14, the person picked at 13 by the Rams was not on their list of 6 targeted players.

Why is that shocking?? Because all of us GUESSED that Donald would be on top of hid list?? What do we know?? Nothing.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nothing is shocking. Everyone thought they were gong to draft a safety, CB, or DT in the first. They did that and if anyone is surprised then they haven't been paying attention.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

Maybe Phil - unlike many here - feels Houston can play DT. Maybe he bases this on the fact that Houston already HAS.

Or Maybe Phil sees big, run stuffing DT's available after Round 1, and didn't feel the need to draft an undersized DT that will get pushed around by big guards.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I hope this bs I keep hearing spewed around he is false, because clogging up the line with run stuffers in a 1-gap 4-3 equals a shit D. A penetrating 3-tech is the most important piece, yet time and time again people around here act like we run a fucking 2-gap 3-4.

People "act" like the guy you love is undersized and not our primary need.

People "act" like there are other DT's that will fit for the Bears.

Apparently Phil agrees with us, and not with you. So naturally, that makes HIM wrong.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
You heard something wrong there. He said that after the Giants had made their pick, they knew they were going to be getting a really good football player. And later said that when they were on the clock at 14, that three of their six players were still there. He never said that three were left on the board after the Giant's pick. That statement was specifically in relation to when they were picking at 14.

The insinuation here is that two of their most coveted players were still on the board after the Giants picked, and that the others in the six behind them weren't as highly regarded. That Fuller was one of those two. And it's probably a pretty safe bet that Donald was the other.

You are just completely pulling that last part out of thin air.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:

The Bears never brought Donald in for a private visit or workout, unlike the Rams. There was never any evidence of concrete interest in him unlike the interest they showed in Sutton, Easley, Hageman, etc. So I wouldn't be surprised at all if he simply wasn't on their board--for whatever reason. I said this weeks ago: based on who the Bears were bringing in for workouts, they were focusing on DBs in the 1st round and DTs in the 2nd/3rd.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
People "act" like the guy you love is undersized and not our primary need.

People "act" like there are other DT's that will fit for the Bears.

Apparently Phil agrees with us, and not with you. So naturally, that makes HIM wrong.

WTF are you talking about? I'm talking scheme not individual players.

Only those who are football ignorant fail to realize the importance of a 3-tech in a 1-gap scheme. Just because Emery wasn't a fan of an individual 3-tech(though who is to say he wasn't?) that doesn't mean he's simply thrown the very basics of the game out the fucking window.

Without an efficient 3-tech what you'll get is the D Tucker had down in Jacksonville, have fun with that.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I'm glad Donald wasn't there cause I think he is going to suck. Our run defense was horrible so I don't think an undersized DT was going to help us

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If we move up in the 2nd and grab Hageman or Nix and grab a Big CB in the 3rd to play safety I'd be a happy camper.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'd be ok with Hageman in the second. I was part of the Donald consensus but it is what it is.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It does seem like Fuller was their guy.

In a way I'm kind of glad Donald was gone, because if he was on the board and Emery passed on him I'd be fucking pissed.

I'm liking the Fuller pick more and more, my only concern is that we are incredibly lacking at the most important position in a 1-gap scheme(3-tech), so.. hopefully we can land a quality 3-tech tomorrow. I'd love Hageman in the second.

I really think that they want to use Ratliff at 3 technique early and then Houston on 3rd downs.

They have made a limited effort to get that 3 technique player.

My guess today is we will add a NT so that we can rotate Houston, Ratliff and Paea at the 3 technique.

Hageman would be awesome.

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
People need to realize Ratliff played very well last season basically out of shape. He will be full strength this year. We also get back a healthy Paea and Collins. Houston may be kicked inside at times on passing downs....this makes the Fuller pick a damn good pick, several DTs available in second round....dont be surprised if he passes on DT in the second he may have a guy he loves in the third or fourth.

Hell at least wait til the draft is over. People wanting to hang themselves on every pick.....no need to stress fellas.