healthy smoothie recipes?

beardownboilerup85

Liked Posts:
hey, I just got my girlfriend a vitamix and was wondering if anyone has good healthy smoothie recipes?

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Always thought of getting one of those things or something like it but figured it take too much time and effort stocking up on fruits and what not constantly and who know which one of those things is best. But I believe they give you a list of of recipes to use with them.

vincentvega

Liked Posts:
hey, I just got my girlfriend a vitamix and was wondering if anyone has good healthy smoothie recipes?

I have the nutri-bullet and I love this one:

-Fill up 1/3 of the way with organic baby spinach
-1 organic carrot peeled and quartered
-1/2 cup cooked organic steel cut oatmeal
-handful raw organic almonds
-1/2 peeled apple or bartlett pear
-1/2 frozen organic bananna
-1/2 cup frozen organic mixed berries
-add water and blend for about 5 seconds..
-then add handful of ice cubes and blend for another 10 seconds...

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

vincentvega

Liked Posts:
Always thought of getting one of those things or something like it but figured it take too much time and effort stocking up on fruits and what not constantly and who know which one of those things is best. But I believe they give you a list of of recipes to use with them.

Check out nutri-bullet. Had the baby bullet and would make all of my sons baby food in that. Loved it and bought this thing. It is really impressive ans has good reviews... It does come with an extensive recipe book you can probably download online. You can throw almost anything in there...

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:

I use to buy bags of frozen fruits when ultra busy. That way you don't have to worry about waste.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:

To piggyback off of what Vega says below, you will LOVE what your vitamix will do. And lucky for me, I didn't have to pay for it as it was a gift.

My son has never had regular yellow eggs. Yesterday, for example, I put three eggs, splash of milk, 1/4 of a bell pepper and a whole stalk of bok choy-washed of course. Blended it for about 10 seconds and made scrambled eggs. Little scamp has no idea how incredibly healthy he is eating. To him, green eggs are normal. Works with ANY vegetable, including raw broccoli. Sometimes I have to doll it up with some BBQ sauce if the veggie stench is too overwhelming.

Jester

White Guy
Liked Posts:
I just bought the nutri-bullet and LOVE it. I had such a hard time deciding between the vitamix, especially since I am just starting this up. I was so happy I bought the nutribullet first, it's only 80$ with every accessory. The vitamix was 500$, which is fucking crazy for a blender. Anyway, that 80$ nutribullet chews up everything in seconds. I rarely need to blend huge volumes that requires the large motor on the vitamix.

The vitamix is about as top of the line as you can get but nothing beats the price, ease of cleanup, and efficiency of the nutribullet.

vincentvega

Liked Posts:
I just bought the nutri-bullet and LOVE it. I had such a hard time deciding between the vitamix, especially since I am just starting this up. I was so happy I bought the nutribullet first, it's only 80$ with every accessory. The vitamix was 500$, which is fucking crazy for a blender. Anyway, that 80$ nutribullet chews up everything in seconds. I rarely need to blend huge volumes that requires the large motor on the vitamix.

The vitamix is about as top of the line as you can get but nothing beats the price, ease of cleanup, and efficiency of the nutribullet.

Agreed. It is one of the best purchases I have made in a while. I use the thing literally every day. Very easy to use and clean and hard to beat for the price..

vincentvega

Liked Posts:
To piggyback off of what Vega says below, you will LOVE what your vitamix will do. And lucky for me, I didn't have to pay for it as it was a gift.

My son has never had regular yellow eggs. Yesterday, for example, I put three eggs, splash of milk, 1/4 of a bell pepper and a whole stalk of bok choy-washed of course. Blended it for about 10 seconds and made scrambled eggs. Little scamp has no idea how incredibly healthy he is eating. To him, green eggs are normal. Works with ANY vegetable, including raw broccoli. Sometimes I have to doll it up with some BBQ sauce if the veggie stench is too overwhelming.

Love the idea for the eggs. Going to steal that for my little ones. My son loves broccoli in his eggs but that is a good way to sneak in more veggies.

Jester

White Guy
Liked Posts:
Agreed. It is one of the best purchases I have made in a while. I use the thing literally every day. Very easy to use and clean and hard to beat for the price..

Yep, I did see infomercials on it and it made me suspicious for sure. However, a friend of mine bought it and swore by it and it's perfect. I'm sure the quality isn't as good as the vitamix but it's much easier to clean and does everything I need it to. Now I will just have to see how long it lasts. I use it 3 times a day at least so it will be interesting to see how long it lasts.

vincentvega

Liked Posts:
Yep, I did see infomercials on it and it made me suspicious for sure. However, a friend of mine bought it and swore by it and it's perfect. I'm sure the quality isn't as good as the vitamix but it's much easier to clean and does everything I need it to. Now I will just have to see how long it lasts. I use it 3 times a day at least so it will be interesting to see how long it lasts.

I use it 7 days a week since christmas. It is working perfectly (guarantee it jams up now that I wrote that)

Its funny, drinking a veggie shake im the morning has made me an all around healthier guy. I am very health concious anyways but this kicked it up a notch. I am down 16 lbs since x-mas and not a quick weight drop but very consistent loss from week to week..and i am relatively good shape any way so this was impressive...

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I put kale in all my shakes. But I don't use it all before it starts to stink up the house. So I started stripping it from the stalk into small pieces and putting it in the freezer. It works great for me. And seem like the kale gets a little brittle when frozen and blends up easier.

vincentvega

Liked Posts:
I put kale in all my shakes. But I don't use it all before it starts to stink up the house. So I started stripping it from the stalk into small pieces and putting it in the freezer. It works great for me. And seem like the kale gets a little brittle when frozen and blends up easier.

I didnt know you could do that although it makes sense being that kale is probably 60-75% water. I am going to try that with my organic baby spinach.

Angry Boomer

President Mayhem
Donator
Liked Posts:
When I lived in Chicago, I would go to Al's Creamery out in Geneva...I would feel guilty about having one of his malts,,,So to feel better, I would give him a multi-vitamin pill and ask em to drop it in the malt before blending it

I think that qualifies as healthy.

:smug:

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I didnt know you could do that although it makes sense being that kale is probably 60-75% water. I am going to try that with my organic baby spinach.

Kale is so hardy though. Might fuck the spinach up.

vincentvega

Liked Posts:
Kale is so hardy though. Might fuck the spinach up.

Interesting..you might have a point..out of curiosity why do you use kale? Do you prefer the taste?I read somewhere that spinach is more vitamin and nutrient rich than kale (and tastes better imo) one of the only leafy greens thats better than spinach (healthier) is watercress...never had that

vincentvega

Liked Posts:
When I lived in Chicago, I would go to Al's Creamery out in Geneva...I would feel guilty about having one of his malts,,,So to feel better, I would give him a multi-vitamin pill and ask em to drop it in the malt before blending it

I think that qualifies as healthy.

:smug:

If it was a whole pill then you are all set for 2014 and at least the first half 2015...

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls

Agreed with the stripping part x1000
Do you blend the stalk and veins too?

I started stripping the stalks and using them for soups, because those suckers are stubborn. But just the leaf hasn't been an issue, especially when you mix it with something acidic, like lemon, kiwi, pineapple.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I just use the leaves. And I only freeze em cause I can't use it before it starts going bad and stinking up the house.

And V.V. I use Kale for the fiber mostly, but I think it is high in vitamins and shit.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
I was over-doing the kale for a while. I guess that's just how trends go(and along with certain trends, kale is also super cheap). But yeah, packed with nutrients, but it also blocks mineral absorption if you don't combine it with necessary fats. Kale is loaded with Vitamin K1, and only 5-10% of that gets converted into K2(which is often a deficiency for many, while K1 is rarely a deficiency.)
So I try to use ghee butter and some milk(to prevent the butter from simply rising to the top) with any shake/smoothie.

No real recipe, just a base. YMMV
An acid(orange/lemon/kiwi/pineapple), a green for fiber K1 As (Kale/Spinach), a calcium rich fat(Ghee & Milk),a good vitamin A stack(Carrots are my goto), sunflower seeds(cheap) for the simple B stack and Vitamin E boost, apples for sweetness and added fiber, and water pretty much makes up the base of anything I make. But I don't run around suggesting this recipe base to anyone, because it's not a great tasting smoothie, but it's nowhere near being bad either like some of these crazy health shakes.

I mainly stick to that platform, because everything else depends on the season. Like cherries were SUPER cheap this year, one of the best Cherry seasons in a LONG time IMO. So of course I tried a few smoothies with cherries. A few smoothies with jackfruit. Papayas have also been better than past years, price-wise. Last year durians were cheaper than usual, and so were pomegranates. To me, that's the fun part of the juicing/smoothie habit. You can mess around and come up with some awesome concoctions. Every week can vary a great deal because of produce trends, making it hard to get sick of drinking the same thing all the time.