Hey Sheep:

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Just so I'm clear. The issue is the Ricketts. Theos not perfect but he's not the problem. I thought I suggested as much in a previous comment when i referenced Theo promising building the farm system AND trying to win now. He was probably under that impression himself based on what he was told by the Ricketts.

That's fine. I just get tired of people bashing Theo for not spending when if you look objectively it is clear ownership has limited his payroll to the $105-110 mil point. As I've said, I have no issue with people blaming the Ricketts. There are arguments to defend them but it's much much harder. There's the issue of the leveraged partnership with Zell. They really shouldn't have agreed to that and should have found some way around it. The deal with the stadium signs and stuff has dragged on way to long.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Yu Darvish > Tanaka. Theoretically could have landed them both

Darvish was a bit different. He was still part of the old posting process. IIRC, the cubs were second in bidding around $25 mil posting fee with everyone else close to that. The Rangers were at $50 mil. It's just a vast difference of opinion. The Rangers also had just gotten a new TV contract so they were flush with money which is probably why they were more willing to go out that far. Overall, had the new posting procedure been in place, the cubs might have been closer. Maybe not so much on Darvish as they were $25 mill apart but almost assuredly they would have came in over the top of the dodgers on Ryu.

And in fairness, the cubs pitching save for 2012 has been pretty good. If there's stuff were lamenting it should be the fact they didn't also sign Puig when they signed Soler. I'm not going to whine and moan over it but he was a young player that fits the mold of their rebuild.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Ummm! I believe the first three I mentioned were definitely in their prime years.

your argument was for the future FAs

And yes, I have noticed the trend of signing players to long term deals from home grown talent, but there are many, many teams who have not only extended their own, but went out and still signed Mega deals.

right, teams who were a player or two of that magnitude away from competeing..

Hell, the Tigers for instance, have inked Ordonez, V-Mart, Sanchez, Miggy, and Fielder while still locking up Verlander. Do I need to also explain the Dodgers, Angels, Phillies, Red Sox, and Yankees, who continue to not only lock up their own players, but delve into the free agent market? How many of those teams intentionally tanked seasons
?

tigers were able to do so cause they got that big TV deal along with those other teams who were also in position to win now...
Phillies ?????

And lastly, please stop with the pity party that the Cubs have to wait for a TV deal to ink anyone. You don't drop payroll nearly in half from four years ago, and supplement it with trash. That is by design whether you like it or not.

no shit that it was by design.. what ya think most been trying to say when you all keep bashing Epstein, that it was rickett who went the route of lowering payroll mostly because of the deal that was made with Zell..

If you are waiting for the TV deal to come along before they start spending, brace yourself because this sustained success stuff is going to hit about year 7 of Theo's 5 year contract. Now do the math with that one.

TV deal, signage, yep that what they've been saying all along as to when they could start paying the big bucks for the big FAs.. not a secret
that pretty much why they've spent the last 3 yrs stock piling their system with pretty good prospects, to lighten that load down the road..
and if you think the ricketts aren't going to extend Epstein after basically doing what he been told to do, well your walking around with binders on..
this has been their plan together all along..

Their is a reason the MLBPA is breathing down the Cubs necks to understand why they are not spending to their capabilities.

no one breathing down their neck, a statement was made and its gone away.. if anything it may have helped push this renovation deal along..

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
your argument was for the future FAs

right, teams who were a player or two of that magnitude away from competeing..

?

tigers were able to do so cause they got that big TV deal along with those other teams who were also in position to win now...
Phillies ?????

no shit that it was by design.. what ya think most been trying to say when you all keep bashing Epstein, that it was rickett who went the route of lowering payroll mostly because of the deal that was made with Zell..

TV deal, signage, yep that what they've been saying all along as to when they could start paying the big bucks for the big FAs.. not a secret
that pretty much why they've spent the last 3 yrs stock piling their system with pretty good prospects, to lighten that load down the road..
and if you think the ricketts aren't going to extend Epstein after basically doing what he been told to do, well your walking around with binders on..
this has been their plan together all along..

no one breathing down their neck, a statement was made and its gone away.. if anything it may have helped push this renovation deal along..

Sorry! But I don't believe everything that is told to me, especially from salesmen who tell me that the worst stretch in Cubs history is a good thing, that it will result in sustained success, and to be patient and trust them.

Good Lord! Who has the blinders on here?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
That's fine. I just get tired of people bashing Theo for not spending when if you look objectively it is clear ownership has limited his payroll to the $105-110 mil point. As I've said, I have no issue with people blaming the Ricketts. There are arguments to defend them but it's much much harder. There's the issue of the leveraged partnership with Zell. They really shouldn't have agreed to that and should have found some way around it. The deal with the stadium signs and stuff has dragged on way to long.

They would not have been able to buy then.

The signs are being held up by the Mayor again. Not really their fault.

Signs funs new construction. Logical to build income before debt.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Rizzo made comments on it. It seems the players are starting to not be to fond of ownership.

Liked Posts:
They needed to get younger but it should have been a natural filter in. They should not have tossed away seasons just to get better draft selection. Theo did fine in the past with worse picks.

Wrong ownership group was awarded the Cubs.

See the meeting now:

MLB: So what direction will you take the Cubs?

Cuban: Yanks mid west
Ricketts: Royals

Selig: Award Ricketts...Cubs need to suck.

There's something to this post. Again, the Ricketts weren't even the highest bidder. As this post suggests, you have to wonder why they were awarded the team in spite if having the 4th highest bid. And I'll also just say that this is borderline collusion.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
There's something to this post. Again, the Ricketts weren't even the highest bidder. As this post suggests, you have to wonder why they were awarded the team in spite if having the 4th highest bid. And I'll also just say that this is borderline collusion.

Its called the good old boys in MLB.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
They would not have been able to buy then.

The signs are being held up by the Mayor again. Not really their fault.

Signs funs new construction. Logical to build income before debt.

Like I said, you can make an argument for the spending habits of the Ricketts but it's harder.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Not making a strawman, just saying even the architect of the Chicago Cubs has to believe in some sort of FA signing.

So all of the people that make lineups full of prospects are wasting their time and frankly are going against the idea of realistically building a MLB team.

Who is making the case that the entire team will be made up of prospects? Everyone I talk to here know that FA's will happen, just not until we have something here to pair up with those signings.

diavolos

Liked Posts:
Who is making the case that the entire team will be made up of prospects? Everyone I talk to here know that FA's will happen, just not until we have something here to pair up with those signings.

everyone you talk to here on this site is in agreement? lol. and, how do they know fa's signings will happen?

what about what's already happened? a payroll that's going down, not up. the ricketts can't even beat the rooftop owners, and they can't even get a meeting with the landmarks commission in chicago.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
everyone you talk to here on this site is in agreement?
I never said that.
and, how do they know fa's signings will happen?
Technically speaking they already have tried with Tanaka. And I do believe the GM when they say they are waiting for the right time.
what about what's already happened? a payroll that's going down, not up.
That was expected, wsince that is exactly what we were told would happen

the ricketts can't even beat the rooftop owners, and they can't even get a meeting with the landmarks commission in chicago.
None of this is actually accurate.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Let's not sugar coat it. Ricketts is a huge problem. It's why the player association is looking into it and why Rizzo made comments. They aren't saving money to spend. Ricketts is pocketing that. He is hoping theo can build a team for as little money as possible. You can see this. People disagreeing with it is just being blind to that. Now the theo and Jed hate is overboard. There is one problem with the team and that's ownership whether people like to admit it or not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

diavolos

Liked Posts:
Technically speaking they already have tried with Tanaka. And I do believe the GM when they say they are waiting for the right time.

the bid for tanaka was a farce. the cubs were not trying. i work in the trading industry. bidding low means nothing. if you want to play, you gotta pay.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
the bid for tanaka was a farce. the cubs were not trying. i work in the trading industry. bidding low means nothing. if you want to play, you gotta pay.

We have no idea how low it was. It could have been the same for all we know.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
The cubs bid was around 120 million from reports

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk