Kris Bryant and the Future (part 2)

CSF77

Liked Posts:
MIAMI -- Kris Bryant moved one step closer to the big leagues on Wednesday.

The Cubs' second overall pick in last June's First-Year Player Draft, Bryant was promoted from Double-A Tennessee and will join Triple-A Iowa on Thursday in Des Moines. Bryant, who won the Home Run Derby at the Southern League All-Star Game on Monday, was leading the league in the Triple Crown categories with a .355 batting average, 22 home runs and 58 RBIs in 68 games with Tennessee.

During a radio interview in Chicago on Tuesday, Cubs president of baseball operations Theo Epstein was asked about Bryant's progress.

"Is he dominating Double-A right now? Of course he is," Epstein said. "Does that mean his development is complete? No."

If you're looking for weaknesses, there aren't many. The third baseman has struck out 77 times in 248 at-bats, and has made 14 errors. But he's on the fast track.

"To come out after winning all of that last year and having a lot of hype and all the pressure of being the second overall pick, he's done a great job, and it's a promotion well deserved," Chicago's Anthony Rizzo said of Bryant, who won the Golden Spikes Award as the top college player of the year in 2013.

Bryant didn't dazzle the Cubs in Spring Training -- he was 2-for-18, although both hits were home runs -- but he made up for that at Tennessee, and he definitely left a good first impression on Chicago manager Rick Renteria.

"He's a pretty mature young man," Renteria said. "He's very well spoken, doesn't seem to be phased by a whole lot. I think he's focused on his game. It does seem like he's a well-balanced individual. I think those things play well for him. Hopefully, he continues to have the success he's been having and moves forward."

Bryant, 22, also had 20 doubles, a .458 on-base percentage and .702 slugging percentage. He was named the Cubs' Minor League Player of the Month in May when he batted .407 with seven doubles, 12 homers, 34 RBIs and 17 walks. He had a pair of four-hit games, and a six RBI game as well.

The Cubs players get updates on Bryant and other top prospects, such as Javier Baez, on the daily Minor League reports.

"We're aware," pitcher Jake Arrieta said of the potential Cubs of the future. "We saw those guys in spring and we keep track of them. We're well aware of the things Bryant has been doing in Double-A. I'm sure he'll continue to swing the bat well. [Bryant and Baez] are two plus-plus bats with the ability to come up here and have an impact right away. Whenever the time is right, we look forward to seeing them."

What can Bryant expect?

"I think he's going to really dominate Triple-A more than Double-A," Rizzo said. "I thought Double-A was the hardest level for myself personally, and he's way more polished than I was in the Minor Leagues. He'll see more advanced pitching now. With the bases loaded, guys would rather walk him and give up one run than four. He'll put the finishing touches on his approach and hopefully takes off."

Rizzo and Starlin Castro both signed long-term deals with the Cubs and are considered the cornerstones. The future includes Bryant, Baez, Albert Almora, and this year's first-round pick, Kyle Schwarber, who was promoted from short-season Boise to Class A Kane County.

"There's a lot of work to do," Rizzo said. "You can't put all your eggs in one basket on two guys [Bryant and Baez]. It's just about whoever is here being a good team and getting along well."

Still, Bryant impressed his future teammates.

"That kind of guy, that kind of prospect is really good, and as soon as we need him here, we have to bring him," Castro said.

When?

"He's coming here soon," Castro said.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp...tebook_id=80382122&vkey=notebook_chc&c_id=chc

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
If he keeps hitting he will be on our roster the day of the 40 man expansion

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
Not gonna lie definitely the best day of the season I think as a fan.

Bryant and Vizcaino getting called up could result in big things. But on the ML roster guys that have been pegged as "The Future" (Rizzo, Castro, Arrieta??) have been on a tear lately and the Cubs are 17-13 in their last 30 I believe. Progress

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Not gonna lie definitely the best day of the season I think as a fan.

Bryant and Vizcaino getting called up could result in big things. But on the ML roster guys that have been pegged as "The Future" (Rizzo, Castro, Arrieta??) have been on a tear lately and the Cubs are 17-13 in their last 30 I believe. Progress

Very good news indeed.

WC Jerome

King of the 'Universe'!!!
Liked Posts:
NW Indiana (just outside my hometown of Chicago)
The future is definitely bright right now. I keep trying to tell all the doubters out there that the talent is very good in the minors and will be in the Bigs within the next couple of years.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
And don't forget Schwarber to Kane County (gonna have to go see him) and Vizcaino and Rivero both up to Iowa as well.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
He won't be up this year, or at least I wouldn't put my eggs into that basket as the organization is taking its time with the kids. But the team is definitely showing progress this season compared to last year. The wheels are starting to turn now. Hopefully there isn't to big of a sell off this year.

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
And don't forget Schwarber to Kane County (gonna have to go see him) and Vizcaino and Rivero both up to Iowa as well.
As a Cubs fan ya gotta love what the future holds. Hopefully the future will bring some good pitching too. But for now I'm really excited about the young talent we have Bryant, Schwarber, Baez and Almora. Can't wait until these guys fully develope!

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
It will be even more exciting when Manny Ramirez joins Iowa next week. Why? Kris Bryant and Javier Baez will benefit because you have a 9x Silver Slugger Award winner as your hitting coach to mentor and help them to develop their bats to a higher level this season.

If they still had Rudy Jaramillo as the Cubs hitting coach, their bats would be golden.

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
Bryant needs to stay at Triple AAA for the rest of the year. Why?

Developmental is crucial for Bryant at AAA especially his defense as it is currently below-average. Manny Ramirez as a coach will help as well. By late April, Bryant will have a polished bat and above-average defense which is a

If Bryant stays at AAA until late April next year – just a few weeks next year – the Cubs get team control over him for an entire extra season in 2021. That may not sound like much, but consider that Bryant will be 29 that year, and very much still in his prime. Not only is that a valuable, valuable year of control, but it ensures that the Cubs won’t have to battle with the rest of baseball for Bryant’s services. Having netted a huge signing bonus already, and having Scott Boras as his agent, Bryant is not a particularly good candidate to lock down with a long-term extension.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Bryant needs to stay at Triple AAA for the rest of the year. Why?

Developmental is crucial for Bryant at AAA especially his defense as it is currently below-average. Manny Ramirez as a coach will help as well. By late April, Bryant will have a polished bat and above-average defense which is a

If Bryant stays at AAA until late April next year – just a few weeks next year – the Cubs get team control over him for an entire extra season in 2021. That may not sound like much, but consider that Bryant will be 29 that year, and very much still in his prime. Not only is that a valuable, valuable year of control, but it ensures that the Cubs won’t have to battle with the rest of baseball for Bryant’s services. Having netted a huge signing bonus already, and having Scott Boras as his agent, Bryant is not a particularly good candidate to lock down with a long-term extension.

I am fully aware of, and on board with, the notion of bringing a guy up only after his partial year won't cost a full year of control.

But then again, enough is enough.

If they feel it won't be a good idea to bring him up late 2014, that's one thing. (I disagree.)

But for God's sake, let's not already plan on leaving him in the minors for much of 2015 in order to keep the cost low. Hell, call him up in 2017, and we'll control him until 2023!

He played college ball. He played much of 2013 in the minors. He is destroying minor league pitching in 2014. He doesn't need more time in the minors.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
If Bryant mashes AAA, and solidifies his glove at 3B, there's no reason for him not to be on the opening day roster next spring.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I understand waiting til may 2015 to gain an extra year of control but seriously what the difference if your addressing a contract extension after 2020 or 2021 ? If he that good of a player im sure they will be working on an extension for him probably 2017 or 2018 anyways...
I think if he hitting .300 and smacking homers in Iowa come Aug., they need to bring him up and allow him to get some ML ABs and get ready for opening day 2015..

Be kinda crappy for the guy who starts at 3B on opening day knowing no matter how he does bryant going to replace him come May.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Tapatalk

justaChifan

Liked Posts:
I understand waiting til may 2015 to gain an extra year of control but seriously what the difference if your addressing a contract extension after 2020 or 2021 ? If he that good of a player im sure they will be working on an extension for him probably 2017 or 2018 anyways...
I think if he hitting .300 and smacking homers in Iowa come Aug., they need to bring him up and allow him to get some ML ABs and get ready for opening day 2015..

Be kinda crappy for the guy who starts at 3B on opening day knowing no matter how he does bryant going to replace him come May.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Tapatalk

I think if he that good and he not willing to sign team friendly long term contract he gone.