Apparently Rizzo worked out with Votto last off season

BearDownZZ

Liked Posts:
It looks like Rizzo crowds the plate hard against lefties this year. This way he can reach out and foul off the outside slider when he's fooled and the sharp slider will be way off the plate and easier to let up. The outside fastballs are easier to hit and the mistakes down the middle get nailed.

He's susceptible to that inside fastball right on the inside corner. He won't be able to do much but try to fight those off and stay alive. But those are sometimes hard pitches to make for a lot of lefties. So it makes sense his batting average would climb.

But to do that, you have to be comfortable with crowing the plate. Some guys try that and will just get killed on inside fastballs and never get comfortable. It's not always an easy fix and probably took a lot of pitches to see if he could do it.

This video below has him from 2011 to 2014. Freeze at 0:39 and 2:58. You can clearly see by looking at his leg kick that he's quite a ways from the plate early on and in 2014, his right knee is right over the outside edge of the plate. He's also more open this year.

[video=youtube;WlhNrzCynNA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlhNrzCynNA[/video]

Not sure if that came from Votto as he does not open his stance or does he crowd the plate.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Dabs...can you add spoiler tags or delete the post. I don't want trouble at work

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk