DirecTV

Culpfiction

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This year is the first in many I have felt that there wasn't enough value in the Sunday Ticket for me to pay their outrageous rates. So, I called to completely cancel my service.

I told them that I couldn't justify keeping my service for 12 months only for Sunday Ticket, that which of I was only going to need for 8 games out of 16.

The chick gave me free Sunday Ticket, and a $200 Visa gift card with a 12 month commitment. I was blown away. At the end of the call she asked if there were any other promotions or features that I was interested in and I asked about MLB Extra inning, and she threw it right in there, no questions asked.

I have called multiple times before, trying to get a discount or free Sunday Ticket with no luck; however, this was the first time I called with the intentions of actually cancelling my service.

The girl on the line said if I ever call again and I don't get what I want from the regular people to ask to be transferred to the loyalty department. I've never heard of this department before, but she said she had privileges to award special offers that others didn't.

Just thought I'd share a bit of my good fortune, in hopes some of you might be in the same situation as I was.

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
Dang it. All I got was Sunday ticket free. Good job on the $200 gift card.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Yeah, I got Sunday Ticket, $20 off for 12 months ($10 off the following 12 months), a free receiver/dvr upgrade in up to 3 rooms last time...but that's the biggest haul I've ever gotten.

I was trying for cheaper Sunday Ticket...and when the dude on the line said something REMOTELY smart-alec (after much prodding on my part), I jumped all over him...told him I needed to talk to his supervisor after he gave me his name...he sent me to 'retention'. lel

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
Those fuckers cave faster than an Oxy snitch.

Rawky

Liked Posts:
This year is the first in many I have felt that there wasn't enough value in the Sunday Ticket for me to pay their outrageous rates. So, I called to completely cancel my service.

I told them that I couldn't justify keeping my service for 12 months only for Sunday Ticket, that which of I was only going to need for 8 games out of 16.

The chick gave me free Sunday Ticket, and a $200 Visa gift card with a 12 month commitment. I was blown away. At the end of the call she asked if there were any other promotions or features that I was interested in and I asked about MLB Extra inning, and she threw it right in there, no questions asked.

I have called multiple times before, trying to get a discount or free Sunday Ticket with no luck; however, this was the first time I called with the intentions of actually cancelling my service.

The girl on the line said if I ever call again and I don't get what I want from the regular people to ask to be transferred to the loyalty department. I've never heard of this department before, but she said she had privileges to award special offers that others didn't.

Just thought I'd share a bit of my good fortune, in hopes some of you might be in the same situation as I was.

I worked in a directv call center for a while in the "CRG" group. That's who you were talking to (they might have changed their name but same thing). It stands for customer retention group. Basically each customer had a rating. 1-5 stars and an additional a+ rating for people who have been with directv for over 2 years, spend 100+ a month and pay on time. If you're one of these members I was authorized to give you almost anything. If you want to maximize you're "haul" be polite. Just tell them the local cable company offered you free hd, free DVD service and 3 hddvr recievers. Free hbo/starz/Cinemax/Showtime, premium package and a great price and they'll give you tons of offers. This time of year is a great time to do so because they throw the Sunday ticket package around like crazy. If you're under contract tell them the cable company is going to buy out your contract.

If you're polite and to the point they'll hook you up like crazy.

SERE Bear

Drinking da Bears better
Donator
Liked Posts:
Rawky, that has been my experience for the last 4 years. I have had them comp me the NFL each year. Im always nice but say Im quitting because its too expensive with the NFL ticket and the NFL ticket is the only reason I have stayed with DTV.

NEVER BEEN OFFERED A 200 GIFT CARD THO! Wtf!

Reactions: DC

Angry Boomer

President Mayhem
Donator
Liked Posts:
Last year I got Sunday Ticket for free after 12 years of service..This year they wanted to charge me $300.00.... I told em I wanted to cancel and got it for $200.00. I figured they had to make at least some money so I quit arguing at the $200.00 level. Maybe I will call em back and tell em I thought about it and the $200.00 is still too much..Thanks to the OP

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:

Dude, thank you for this. Last year was the first year I was able to have Sunday ticket and I love it. But that price? Not so much. I know a thread comes up every year about how to get it cheaper and I had no idea we could pull strings already.

Thank you.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Isn't this their last year of having Sunday ticket? Probably extra desperate to get people signed up for longer before it's over.

BP348

Liked Posts:
I'll have to call and see what I can get. If I still lived in the Chicago area it wouldn't be worth the $$ but being in Texas and being able to see & record every Bears game is worth it. I absolutely love getting every game every weekend and normally record multiple games and watch them through out the week.

Rawky

Liked Posts:
You guys should check out a program called XBMC.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:

Direct TV has been giving away free Sunday NFL Ticket for,going on probably five years now. So,what you were given has been their standard for quite sometime not some sort of special good fortune or even a promotional give away. Direct TV is a dying company that has been losing subscribers at a much higher rate than they ever have before.

It's why AT&T. Uverse has been in talks to buy Direct TV. With any luck Google/YouTube will win the bidding on Direct TV this time around and more people will be able to cancel their cable/TV service and we can end this monopoly and lack of free market competition that exists in the cable TV/satellite TV market.

Rawky

Liked Posts:
Direct TV has been giving away free Sunday NFL Ticket for,going on probably five years now. So,what you were given has been their standard for quite sometime not some sort of special good fortune or even a promotional give away. Direct TV is a dying company that has been losing subscribers at a much higher rate than they ever have before.

It's why AT&T. Uverse has been in talks to buy Direct TV. With any luck Google/YouTube will win the bidding on Direct TV this time around and more people will be able to cancel their cable/TV service and we can end this monopoly and lack of free market competition that exists in the cable TV/satellite TV market.

The monopoly is going NOWHERE. Even if directv gets bought by Google it's not like prices are going down. Service might get better, might be a better tv experience but it's not going to get any cheaper no matter who buys in.

Seriously guys, XBMC. You'll thank me

norse400

Liked Posts:
All,

Tried cancelling my service this morning 06/21 (10 yr customer), and the only current offer they were "handing out" was the $200 gift card and $5 per month off service. Actually said they couldn't give any Sunday Ticket deals yet. I'll just call back another time and work another phone rep.

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up that it does depend on the rep you talk to.

Reactions: DC

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
I pretty much get DirecTV free every year but I have been with them since 1997. They give me discounts every year. Question for Rawky, what is the best day to call on to DirecTV for discounts?

NckllChicago

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Rawky, are you specifically talking about sports devil on xbmc, or is there something else?

Brownie

Liked Posts:
I call these fools every year and they are REAL hesitant to give me anything but "base package discounts" of like $20- 30 a month. I been w these asshoes for 8 years!

Brownie

Liked Posts:
I call these fools every year and they are REAL hesitant to give me anything but "base package discounts" of like $20- 30 a month. I been w these asshoes for 8 years!

...so I just got off the phone w them and this bitch WOULD NOT BUDGE. I told the chick that I've researched local cable, and that it is just cheaper. .. and that the only reason I have DTV is for the Ticket.. I went through with the cancelation request, but we'll call back before the date (July 12) and ultimately keep DTV. Hoping at that point, they'll at least offer me the ticket for free.

Question to the folks that get it for "free":
Do they straight up say "we're giving you the Ticket for free" or do they give you "discounts"to offset the cost? ?

jcrab66

Liked Posts:
I just want Redzone, don't care about the rest of the ticket, I go to all the home games and the away games are already on. If the bears aren't on I watch Redzone all day. Need to start thinking about my call strategy this year...

Sent from the media deck using Tapatalk

Rawky

Liked Posts:
Rawky, are you specifically talking about sports devil on xbmc, or is there something else?

There's a ton of repos. Sports devil is usually hard to find a stream and bad quality. I like the mashup addon a whole lot. Good quality and dependable.