IST: Cincinnati Reds (37-37) at Chicago Cubs (31-42)

How many games do the Cubs win?

• 3...This is the year

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • 2...It could happen

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • 1...The Cubs are shitty

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • 0...Tailspin time

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
Cubs better not trade Arrieta

The key for me as a fan heading into this season since I knew we wouldn't contend this year was the development of Castro, Rizzo, Arrieta, and the bullpen. A's around the board on all those. Now just got to fill the other 5 holes in the lineup. (Castillo is a decent C). Can't wait to get a real bat at 3B and 2B. OF is also atrocious to right now. Baby steps

Crazy that Castro is in his 5th season and still younger than the average rookie. Going to have 800 career hits before most guys make it into the league

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
I hate Hamilton. I hate all the Reds. They are the Cardinals 2.0 for me.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
At some point their going to need to send Olt down and let him get consistent ABs to work on everything in the minors...
Problem is where do they send him AAA has bryant and AA has Villanueva..
I know all you super 2 freaks will disagree but I think their just gonna have to bite the bullet with bryant and bring him up after the break... worry about his contract etc when the time comes in 2019, not now...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Tapatalk

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
At some point their going to need to send Olt down and let him get consistent ABs to work on everything in the minors...
Problem is where do they send him AAA has bryant and AA has Villanueva..
I know all you super 2 freaks will disagree but I think their just gonna have to bite the bullet with bryant and bring him up after the break... worry about his contract etc when the time comes in 2019, not now...

After the break would be after super 2 most likely. I'm not sure the exact date of the all-star game but Trout was called up originally july 8th and then back down for 2 or so weeks and then started in AAA for April. So, realistically you could probably call him up after the trade deadline without much if any worry. That being said, if they just want AAA at bats for Olt all they have to do is play him at 1B in AAA. There's no blockage there.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
After the break would be after super 2 most likely. I'm not sure the exact date of the all-star game but Trout was called up originally july 8th and then back down for 2 or so weeks and then started in AAA for April. So, realistically you could probably call him up after the trade deadline without much if any worry. That being said, if they just want AAA at bats for Olt all they have to do is play him at 1B in AAA. There's no blockage there.
ASG is july 15, so if they can get bryant to 100+ PA in Iowa and he hitting still that would be a good time to get him up and going.

your right with Olt, they could get him AB playing first in Iowa..
you got 3 weeks til the break, I think at that time they need to adjust their roster for 2nd half..

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Low how Lake fouls off ball 4 to ground out to 2B. He must have walk phobia.

theberserkfury

Liked Posts:
I'm not totally sure how it makes sense to have a guy with a .272 OBP leading off...

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm not totally sure how it makes sense to have a guy with a .272 OBP leading off...

Just for fun...

The Cubs' "best" lineup they could put out there would be

Valbuena 2B
Rizzo 1B
Castro SS
Lake LF
Ruggiano CF
Castillo C
Coghlan RF
Olt 3B
Pitcher

Unless Travis Wood is pitching, then you put him in at clean up and slide everyone else down one lol.

I could get into the splits because I am sure that Olt would play vs. LHP, but not RHP, but that's too much for me right now.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Just for fun...

The Cubs' "best" lineup they could put out there would be

Valbuena 2B
Rizzo 1B
Castro SS
Lake LF
Ruggiano CF
Castillo C
Coghlan RF
Olt 3B
Pitcher

Unless Travis Wood is pitching, then you put him in at clean up and slide everyone else down one lol.

I could get into the splits because I am sure that Olt would play vs. LHP, but not RHP, but that's too much for me right now.

Barney has been a better hitter than Olt. Olt has no business on a major league team.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Just as Len says Jackson has done pretty well (in mid game), he implodes.

Good grief this guy is worthless. How many more years? 10? (It will seem like it.)

CSF77

Liked Posts:
How do you figure?

Barney has a lower OPS and wOBA vs. RHP and vs. LHP.

Last 30 days:

Olt .075/.159/.175
Barney: .210/.222/.323

Olt has been non existent for the past month.

The league adjusted to Olt and now he is avg 1 hit every 10 AB's.

The numbers over the last month:

40 AB, 3 hits. 4 BB, 23 SO's.

I'm not saying Barney is special at all. But Olt needs to be demoted.

50% SO rate has no business in the major leagues. Faster they ship him out the better the Cubs are.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Not to mention Barney has gone 13 for 62 over the last month. 7 of those hits for 2B. What has hurt him 0 BB but only 5 SO's. 8% SO rate. That alone should push him to full time 2B right now and Valbuena full time 3B. Kick Olt to the curb. Rather bring up Valakia at this point.