IST: Washington Nationals (41-36) at Chicago Cubs (32-44) (June 26-28)

How many games do the Cubs win?

• 4...This is the year

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3...It is the NL East

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • 2...They are at home

• 1...Cubs suck

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • 0....Cubs are shitty

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Jeff Samardzija is sitting there thinking "Welcome to the Cubs, Dallas Beeler."

Beeler pitched 6 innings, allowed one run, and added a hit, as the Cubs fall 3-0. We're not to the All Star break yet, but the Cubs have already been shut out 100 times.

One starting position player got a hit. A second by Beeler and a third by a PH.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Great start from Beeler out there today. Will be interesting to see if he does get the call again once trades happen. If I had to wager I would say that Wada is the first call up with a Hammel trade coming within a couple of weeks, and I think Beeler is getting Shark's spot once he is dealt. A start like today makes you wonder how he is going to fare facing a team for the second or third time.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Great start from Beeler out there today. Will be interesting to see if he does get the call again once trades happen. If I had to wager I would say that Wada is the first call up with a Hammel trade coming within a couple of weeks, and I think Beeler is getting Shark's spot once he is dealt. A start like today makes you wonder how he is going to fare facing a team for the second or third time.

I dont think he is anything more then a swing guy, but I have been wrong before.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I dont think he is anything more then a swing guy, but I have been wrong before.

I'm not sure either, but the FO thought enough of him to protect him from rule 5 last offseason. They also could have easily moved things around to make Wada or Rusin able to pitch today. So clearly they like him some, and after 40% of the rotation is dealt would be the time to see if he might be more than that.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I'm not sure either, but the FO thought enough of him to protect him from rule 5 last offseason. They also could have easily moved things around to make Wada or Rusin able to pitch today. So clearly they like him some, and after 40% of the rotation is dealt would be the time to see if he might be more than that.

I read he only got the call today based only on the fact that it was his turn in the rotation, so it could've very easily been any of the other 4 ..

so, I think wada and Hendricks are still the top 2 choices to promote when and if deals are made for samardzija and hammell

I think beeler just opened some eyes today and put his name on the radar for future consideration, maybe he gets another start or two in Sept. and / or he gets a shot out of ST.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I read he only got the call today based only on the fact that it was his turn in the rotation, so it could've very easily been any of the other 4 ..

so, I think wada and Hendricks are still the top 2 choices to promote when and if deals are made for samardzija and hammell

I think beeler just opened some eyes today and put his name on the radar for future consideration, maybe he gets another start or two in Sept. and / or he gets a shot out of ST.

The Cubs have had this double header scheduled since February. I think if they wanted to give the start to Wada or Hendricks they could have easily juggled the I-Cubs rotation to set this up.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Finally, the offense shows some life. Castro with the IF hit and Valbuena gets a cookie fastball on inner half and absolutely crushed it. I dont understand how opposing teams still throw him fastballs. He loves fastballs. Hear comes the rain.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
The Cubs have had this double header scheduled since February. I think if they wanted to give the start to Wada or Hendricks they could have easily juggled the I-Cubs rotation to set this up.
I think that the point.. they didnt care who got the start today amongst them, they just went with who was in rotation to start today knowing whomever it was was just going back to Iowa after today.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think that the point.. they didnt care who got the start today amongst them, they just went with who was in rotation to start today knowing whomever it was was just going back to Iowa after today.

We will see, but like I said I wouldn't be shocked if Hendricks doesn't see the majors until 2015.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
We will see, but like I said I wouldn't be shocked if Hendricks doesn't see the majors until 2015.
For me id rather get a look at hendricks , beeler, or even jokisch this year to see if they could be an option for 2015 and beyond before a 34 YO wada

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
For me id rather get a look at hendricks , beeler, or even jokisch this year to see if they could be an option for 2015 and beyond before a 34 YO wada

Agree to disagree because honestly think the ceiling is higher on Wada than Hendricks. Granted he is only going to give a couple of years even he if gets back to what he was, but ultimately the one thing I am sure of is that Wada will get the first look in the rotation. The question is who is the second guy.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Kinda hoping that if they do intend on trading samardzija, they do it soon before teams feel he not worth giving up top prospects for.
After going 50 Innings in his first 7 starts, he only gone 58 innings the next 10 , and only going 6 or less the last 4 including tonight assuming he done after the 5th.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Agree to disagree because honestly think the ceiling is higher on Wada than Hendricks. Granted he is only going to give a couple of years even he if gets back to what he was, but ultimately the one thing I am sure of is that Wada will get the first look in the rotation. The question is who is the second guy.
Im not disagreeing that wada gonna be called up this year when one or both those guys are traded.. im just saying if it me id rather see the younger guys over him getting those starts..

As far as the 2nd guy, I think hendricks has the edge but beeler opened some eyes and got their attention today...

It just may be at decision time, it could come down to who earned it in last 3-5 starts between them.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Ha, just showed epstein on phone.. maybe he calling a team now to make a deal for samardzija. Lol

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
East coast bias... seen too many close calls favor teams from the east coast even in games not involving the cubs.

Sure the joe schmos they hire to sit in the room and watch games are all east coast teams fan...

I would hardly call Justin Klemm a Joe Schmo. His umpiring track record is pretty impressive. The fact that you think any umpire gives a shit who wins is funny. Umpires just want to do a good job and get more promotions/accolades.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I would hardly call Justin Klemm a Joe Schmo. His umpiring track record is pretty impressive. The fact that you think any umpire gives a shit who wins is funny. Umpires just want to do a good job and get more promotions/accolades.
He the director of IR not the guy watching and making the decisions on a replay...

Maybe whoever actually watching and making the decisions arent joe schmos off the street but dont tell me there no NY/ East Coast bias when they make their decision on a close call that could go either way..

Saw one today, Redsox/ Yankees... guy on Redsox dives into 2nd ump calls him safe, replay shows it was close and couldn't tell if hand was on bag before tag.. Replay called him out..
Guaretee if it was a yankee player called safe, replay would of said inconclusive call stands..

Just seen too many questionable calls to think otherwise,
Be interesting to see at end of year if they break it down..

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Tonight was tough. The rain delay hurts pitchers when its hard for them to stay warm. Shark hasnt been as good, but we have seen stuff like this before. Even if he has a couple of non stellar months its keeping them within reason. Trust me, no team is backing off because of tonights start.