How much do you normally spend on groceries?

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
/noderail

But who else makes home-made cleaning supplies and soaps to save a buck? I'll spend a weekend a year just making cleaning supplies. Also, a steamer is an awesome investment as well. Maybe this deserves it's own thread. But I find this to be a big money saver(as well as long term time-saver).
Either make own thread of give us examples! :hitler: lol... please?

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
I spent $42 last night on groceries and had a coupon for a free package of bacon, one for free salsa, and one for a free bag of tortilla chips. #winning

-Cago34-

CCS Mock Draft Champion
Donator
Liked Posts:
I cheat. I eat dinner at my parents once a week and lunch at my parents once a week (That part will end as soon as I'll hopefully have a new job that will likely be no where near my parents house). I also go out once or twice on weekends. So food doesn't go as quickly in my house. I also don't really buy much beyond produce, meat (bulk of the expense), eggs, and Greek yogurt. And things like pancake mix will last me a long time. So there's that. I somehow haven't lost weight. Probably has something to do that I have a roommate who buys a ton of shit, offers me it, and probably takes up 75% of the food storage space in my house.

Well shit, nothing wrong with that bro, free food is always scrumptious.

-Cago34-

CCS Mock Draft Champion
Donator
Liked Posts:
/noderail

But who else makes home-made cleaning supplies and soaps to save a buck? I'll spend a weekend a year just making cleaning supplies. Also, a steamer is an awesome investment as well. Maybe this deserves it's own thread. But I find this to be a big money saver(as well as long term time-saver).

I buy one of those big ass 64 oz Pine-sol and mix it with water in a sprayer to use on countertops and stuff like that, instead of buying $3 bottles of cleaner. That's about all I do though.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Either make own thread of give us examples! :hitler: lol... please?

I started a thread in the Bar. If I think of other things, I'll add.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Just stuff I buy at the grocery store. But that total does include beer :)
A lot? Honest question because my family only spends like half as much on groceries per month and we have 4 people as well. It could also be that my family is super frugal.

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
around 750 a month give or take 300. depends on how drunk I am when we shop. for some reason I like to spend hundreds on steaks when im drunk

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
A lot? Honest question because my family only spends like half as much on groceries per month and we have 4 people as well. It could also be that my family is super frugal.

Define "a lot", lol.

Also - I drink good beer for the most part.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
too much considering i get beef for free, but i like pork and tend to buy from a farm that raises them properly. the garden will change that once i ferment a lot of it. I'm also considering buying a table top still for making shine so that will cut down a lot on the budget. I feed my family extremely well though so my budget doesn't bother me. About 700 a month for a family of four. includes alcohol.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Up here I do most my groceries at Costco and try to buy seasonal stuff as well. For myself, my wife and my 4 1/2 year old, I spend about 600$ a month at a rate of 150$ a week. I eat pretty healthy too and hardly ever will I buy junk.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
Coupons, and mostly fresh meat and vegetables. Not a lot of the super processed stuff. We drink water, tea or coffee to keep from buying soda's constantly. We do have a garden but haven't gotten a ton of produce out of it, it has helped. I hate buying fruit because 1. it's expensive and 2. it almost always goes bad before I eat it. I bought a $6 little thing of raspberries to put in my morning shakes and they were molded in like 2 days.

We do envelope budgeting. I was completely against it for a long time cause it just seemed like to much of a hassle. But when you have cash and you know that's what you have to spend, you start really thinking "do I really need this giant bag of cookies?"

http://www.passionforsavings.com/freebie/2012/06/how-to-make-berries-last-longer/

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
Used to spend hardly anything on groceries before we had kids because we ate out all the time. We haven't been to a restaurant in two months.

Roughly 1K/month if you add in formula and diapers.

Killing me.

R_Mac_1

Liked Posts:
Probably 7-800 per month for a family of 5. Even quick runs to the store to grab "a few things" turn into $100 trips.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Define "a lot", lol.

Also - I drink good beer for the most part.
lol I have no idea what constitutes a lot. Price of the beer does matter too, so if it's expensive stuff it could be not that much relatively speaking. I doubt you'd be spending like $100 per trip though...though what do I know

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Probably 7-800 per month for a family of 5. Even quick runs to the store to grab "a few things" turn into $100 trips.

Exactly. I pretty much have a $50 minimum every time I walk through the door. Shit adds up quick.

Unannounced Fart

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Southern California Trojans
We spend at least $1,000/mo for a family of 5. And I have 3 daughters. I'd imagine it would be much higher if we had boys.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We spend at least $1,000/mo for a family of 5. And I have 3 daughters. I'd imagine it would be much higher if we had boys.
Damn that must be a whole lot of drama going on with all those women under the same roof, haha!

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
By budgeting with all the might that I have in my body, I've been able to do like $100 or less a week for a family of 3.

How do you pull that off? I just bought some stuff for myself today, pretty much all snacks (cheese sticks, veggies, fruit, etc.), and it cost me $60. It's not like I buy bullshit either, like cookies and junk. At the end I'm looking at my cart trying to figure out how so little costs so much.