Should the Cubs Chase a Top Pitcher this off-season

Derek Nichol

Liked Posts:
What do you think the Cubs will do this coming off-season in starting pitching? Will they bring in a Big Name Free Agent or keep going on the path of Prospects?
I would like to see them go out and get a big name instead of having another horrible contract on the team like they got with Edwin Jackson!:shot:

:cubs:

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I'd estimate they could add $50 mil in yearly salary next year. Right now they have right around $30 mil in committed money as well as having around another $30 mil likely to be used on arbitration cases. They've typically spent between $105-110 mil the past three seasons so $110 minus 60 gets you to around $50 mil. That's before you consider a likely increase in per game money from the WGN tv contract or the money they might roll into next year's budget as they didn't spend the money they allotted for Tanaka.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
What do you think the Cubs will do this coming off-season in starting pitching? Will they bring in a Big Name Free Agent or keep going on the path of Prospects?
I would like to see them go out and get a big name instead of having another horrible contract on the team like they got with Edwin Jackson!:shot:

:cubs:

Yes. Lester should have no draft pick ties. Same with Justin Masterson . I seel the Tigers locking up Price so that should put Max Scherzer on the market but he should get a Q-offer.

If I had to guess Lester goes back to the R. Sox. Yanks go after James Shields and is in the Max Scherzer bid.

Cubs I see going under the radar.

I believe they will make Arrieta the opening day starter. Hendricks will also be there. Wada not sure yet. Give him 5 starts and I'll gage it better. Wood should be in the mix.

If I had to make a prediction: Opening day rotation:
Arrieta, Wada, Hendricks, Wood, Jackson

I do not see them eating 22 mil and I'm guessing Wada proves himself this year to be the top lefty in the rotation. He has been solid all year even in Iowa as their ace. The only knock on him is his age but at 34 next year it really is not a concern. Durmont who knows. Unless he is dominating AAA hitters I wouldn't count on him.

Now going into the following year I could see them going after Price if he is not locked up.

At best this offseason they could go after Masterson on a 1 year flip to fix and up his value.

If Lester didn't say he would re-up with the Sox I would have been all on with him. Right now I see the Cubs forcing the Sox to pay more.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Only big name would be lester otherwise I see them getting 1 or 2 mid rotation type starter

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Only big name would be lester otherwise I see them getting 1 or 2 mid rotation type starter

That is fair.

They may toss a curve this offseason. Deal out Wood's Arb2/3 and back fill with Felix as a #4 SP with Wada as the #2.

Just looking at the arms:
LH:

Jon Lester (31)
Francisco Liriano (31)

RH:
Max Scherzer (30)
James Shields (33)
Justin Masterson (30).
Kyle Kendrick (30)

Going any further down the list is questionable in age or talent. Makes me wonder if they are better status que at that point. I would rather have them become buyers for SP with a new market developing next year. They should have plenty of payroll to take on a large contract and prospects to buy it.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
The Cubs certainly will try and if they don't well...forget it.

If they can't in FA, they should give serious thoughts on trading some of the prospects. What mix depends on the quality of the guy, but you can't wait to see if they succeed or not in the bigs. If they bust in 2015 the value of a spec drops astronomically.

Liked Posts:
The Cubs could go after a big name, top of the rotation guy, or, alternatively, they could really go after bullpen arms. This doesn't always work, however. It depends on how you value a bull pen. In a typical 5 man rotation, a good bull pen could be the equivalent of a #3 starter.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I want us to get Lester, but I also don't. I feel like we will have to overpay for him. He's having a career year and he is going to turn that into a huge pay day. Scherzer is going to command stupid amounts of money, so he's out. I think James Shields, albeit older than the others, is going to be our best option. He's durable and would be a nice 2 behind Arrieta.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
2015 Free Agent Power Rankings Rumors

2015 Free Agent Power Rankings
By Tim Dierkes [July 22, 2014 at 1:17pm CDT]
The trade deadline will be upon us next week, but the 2014-15 free agent class still warrants an early look. My June edition of the 2015 Free Agent Power Rankings can be found here, and the full list of 2015 free agents is here.

1. Max Scherzer. Scherzer overcame a midseason hiccup by posting a 1.87 ERA over his last five starts, bringing him back down to 3.34 on the season. He even picked up the win for the American League in the All-Star Game. It’s been a long time since agent Scott Boras has had a starting pitcher of this caliber as a free agent.

2. Jon Lester. Lester isn’t far behind Scherzer, having allowed three earned runs in 38 2/3 innings since our last set of rankings. Lester owns a 2.50 ERA as well as superb timing, and he’s been better than Scherzer this year. Lester hasn’t whiffed this many batters since 2010, and he’s never shown this level of control. Accounting for performance prior to this year, I still give Scherzer the overall edge. Around late June the Red Sox looked to reignite extension talks with Lester, but the pitcher did not receive a new offer and continues to prefer to table discussions until after the season. With the Red Sox slipping in the standings of late, Lester could be traded by the July 31st deadline and freed of a qualifying offer.

3. Hanley Ramirez. Ramirez’s shoulder and calf have been bothering him, and he’s been hit by pitches three times this month. The 30-year-old avoided the DL and continues to hit well. On the other hand, he’s giving back some runs in the field, and defensive question marks are enough to push him down a few spots in the rankings.

4. James Shields. With a 4.39 ERA since May, Shields has failed to keep pace with Lester. Still, Shields’ 2014 peripheral stats are mostly better than last year’s, which led to a 3.15 ERA. The Royals also seem to be hanging around contention enough that they won’t give serious consideration to trading the big righty. With a new contract that will begin with his age-33 season, Shields will be difficult to price in free agency.

5. Pablo Sandoval. As of May 13th, Sandoval’s OPS was down to .554. He’s at .903 since then, with a .335/.370/.533 line in 230 plate appearances. Just 28 in August, Sandoval has age on his side relative to most free agents.

6. Nelson Cruz. Cruz has stumbled since our last set of rankings, hitting .229/.282/.422 in 117 plate appearances. He still ranks second in all of baseball in home runs and RBI, and could top his career-high of 33 longballs at some point in August. Cruz is another tough free agent to price, as teams will be buying into his age 34-36 seasons (and perhaps age 37, if things go well for the slugger).

7. Victor Martinez. V-Mart’s resurgent contract year has continued unabated. Though he’ll be 36 in December, Martinez’s goal might be a three-year pact. On June 29th, Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe wrote that while there have been no extension discussions, Martinez would love to remain in Detroit. One complication for the Tigers is that Miguel Cabrera is signed through 2023 and will probably need to move to DH at some point.

8. Yasmani Tomas. A new entrant to this list, Tomas is a different kind of potential free agent. As Ben Badler of Baseball America explained on June 20th, Tomas left Cuba to pursue an MLB contract but still has to clear the usual hurdles before he’s free to sign. A 23-year-old corner outfielder, Badler pegs Tomas’ raw power as a 70. It seems possible Tomas’ actual free agency will coincide with the MLB offseason. Jose Abreu‘s dazzling debut has made his $68MM contract look like a bargain, which should help Tomas score big. It’s worth noting that Tomas isn’t said to be as polished as Abreu and likely doesn’t have the same ceiling. He is younger, however, which helps his cause.

9. Melky Cabrera. Cabrera, 29, is hitting .305/.352/.463 on the season. His ties to Biogenesis cloud the picture, but his injury-shortened 2013 might end up being Cabrera’s only poor season in his last four.

10. Russell Martin. Perhaps Martin can’t maintain his .271 batting average, but he’s in the midst of another solid campaign and doesn’t turn 32 until February. Teams are also placing more and more emphasis on catching defense, and Martin has gunned down 37 percent of attempted base-stealers while ranking sixth in extra strikes added via pitch framing, per Baseball Prospectus.

This month’s Kenta Maeda watch: the 26-year-old Japanese righty is down to a 2.08 ERA in 15 starts. Ervin Santana has been decent of late. Jason Hammel was traded to Oakland and has seen his ERA rise from 2.98 to 3.35 after two starts. Josh Beckett returns from a DL stint for a hip injury tonight.

You likely won’t find a reliever cracking the top 10, but closers David Robertson, Francisco Rodriguez, Casey Janssen and Rafael Soriano have been excellent, while Luke Gregerson and Andrew Miller have been lights out in a setup capacity.

Among position players, Chase Headley, who earlier today was traded to the Yankees, is still not showing any power (though perhaps a move to the hitter-friendly parks of the AL East can change that). Colby Rasmus was placed in something of a platoon role earlier this month. Nick Markakis leads MLB in plate appearances and has been useful this year. Aramis Ramirez, who like Markakis has a mutual option on his deal, is having a nice year at the plate as well. Stephen Drew‘s bat has started to come alive this month after his late start to the season, while Kendrys Morales is hitting .295/.319/.432 over an 11-game hitting streak. Neither Boras client has very appealing overall numbers. Both Asdrubal Cabrera and Mike Morse have dropped off the list after sluggish performances since our last edition of the rankings. A strong finish could put either back onto the map.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I'd bet that Theo puts up the 20 mil posting fee for Kenta Maeda.

MAEDA VS. TANAKA IN NPB
PLAYER IP ERA K/9 BB/9 WHIP
Maeda 2013......175 2/3 2.10 8.1 2.0 0.962
Tanaka 2013......212 1.27 7.8 1.4 0.94
Maeda career....1,116 1/3 2.41 7.2 1.9 1.05
Tanaka career...1,315 2.30 8.5 1.9 1.11
Data courtesy of Baseball-Reference

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I want us to get Lester, but I also don't. I feel like we will have to overpay for him. He's having a career year and he is going to turn that into a huge pay day. Scherzer is going to command stupid amounts of money, so he's out. I think James Shields, albeit older than the others, is going to be our best option. He's durable and would be a nice 2 behind Arrieta.

arrieta is not an ace

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

:rofl: at you thinking Arrieta is an ace.

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
arrieta is not an ace

Only in CO's world.
laughpound.gif

Last edited:

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
Oh look, a good convo, and then the southside thankbangers show up... go figure.

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
when you say arrieta is an ace you invite trouble. just facts.

Just a couple things Mr smartypants ..... I never said that Arrieta was an Ace. The fuckin funny thing is, neither did CO! Here's the facts Jack....

He's durable and would be a nice 2 behind Arrieta.

Now tell me, how is that saying he's an Ace? We all know the Cubs don't have a great rotation, why would their #1 be an Ace? Come on man, show me some FACTS!

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just a couple things Mr smartypants ..... I never said that Arrieta was an Ace. The fuckin funny thing is, neither did CO! Here's the facts Jack....

Now tell me, how is that saying he's an Ace? We all know the Cubs don't have a great rotation, why would their #1 be an Ace? Come on man, show me some FACTS!

you do not know CO at all. years of experience with him and posts he has made since he has been off and on for years have be dismantled by many. he is the ccs cubs mascot. always has been, always will be.

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
you do not know CO at all. years of experience with him and posts he has made since he has been off and on for years have be dismantled by many. he is the ccs cubs mascot. always has been, always will be.

Now, is that the last 100 years of posting you're talking about? :thinking: I'll tell ya one thing, I don't need to talk to you very long at all to get TIRED of your parakeet ass!

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
He's pitched like one this year but he is not one