Could the Cubs Call Up Javier Baez Before the End of 2014?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I wouldn't be surprised if they have a time chart with pending arb clock starters and they go off of that and current production.

I didn't mind Valikia being promoted. I believe he is a perfect util player for the team. Can cover every IF spot.

That said if they delay Bryant, Soler and Baez past the cut off next year then add Schwarber later that year the team comes together at the same point.

This is what I would like to see:

They over bit for Kenta from Japan. Say 140 mil. Win that and eat Jackson's 22 mil.

Season starts status que then add Soler, Bryant and Baez after their clocks go off. Demote/cut the filler. I believe this happens around May if they don't take on service time this year.

Later season they look to add a starter and now have Almora, Schwarber and Russell in Iowa with Edwards. As we saw with Price it is not going to take 2 top 10 prospect to buy.

Regardless by the the market should open up and the Cubs IMO should be adding a arm.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
He will get called up this month, IMHO.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
I wouldn't be surprised if they have a time chart with pending arb clock starters and they go off of that and current production.

I didn't mind Valikia being promoted. I believe he is a perfect util player for the team. Can cover every IF spot.

That said if they delay Bryant, Soler and Baez past the cut off next year then add Schwarber later that year the team comes together at the same point.

This is what I would like to see:

They over bit for Kenta from Japan. Say 140 mil. Win that and eat Jackson's 22 mil.

Season starts status que then add Soler, Bryant and Baez after their clocks go off. Demote/cut the filler. I believe this happens around May if they don't take on service time this year.

Later season they look to add a starter and now have Almora, Schwarber and Russell in Iowa with Edwards. As we saw with Price it is not going to take 2 top 10 prospect to buy.

Regardless by the the market should open up and the Cubs IMO should be adding a arm.

Schwarber has a lot of ground to make up and growing pains to go through. He is just now experiencing the long baseball season and has to condition himself for that. The first wave will be the big four, followed by the next wave which will be Russell, Almora, and hopefully McKinney and Schwarber. Not all will make it, and more than likely, some will be used to trade out for players in the future.

You need inventory.

I would like to see the big four playing in September even for a month to get a little of the "new car smell" out of the air, hopefully after they have played in the playoffs in AAA and had that experience together.

Liked Posts:
Schwarber has a lot of ground to make up and growing pains to go through. He is just now experiencing the long baseball season and has to condition himself for that. The first wave will be the big four, followed by the next wave which will be Russell, Almora, and hopefully McKinney and Schwarber. Not all will make it, and more than likely, some will be used to trade out for players in the future.

You need inventory.

I would like to see the big four playing in September even for a month to get a little of the "new car smell" out of the air, hopefully after they have played in the playoffs in AAA and had that experience together.

I've wondered if being part of the first or second wave makes someone more likely to succeed than if they go at it alone. I wonder if there's something psychological about seeing your contemporaries/teammates from the minors succeed that raises the performance level of others in that group.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
I've wondered if being part of the first or second wave makes someone more likely to succeed than if they go at it alone. I wonder if there's something psychological about seeing your contemporaries/teammates from the minors succeed that raises the performance level of others in that group.

If I am reading this right, I believe it can't hurt to have cohorts performing together. It could be coincidence, but Baez has played much better since Bryant got there, and they are playing much better as a team since the arrival of Soler. But to put it plainly, if you are a stud, you are a stud.

I can only imagine that it would have an effect on Rizzo and Castro if the kids were called up as the protection would be all over the place. Up until this year, the pressure (if you wan to call it that) was on Rizzo and Castro at the Major league level, Baez and Alcantara at AAA, and Bryant and Soler at AA. Now they all seem to moving simultaneously which is good.

The way they have moved and when the big four are up, and then Russell and Almora probably move to AAA, there will probably be a gap since Schwarber and McKinney will be the next to move but that remains to be seen. Of course, there is pitching prospects like Johnson, Tseng, Blackburn, Black and whomever else I have not noted.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I agree with the 3 being brought up by Sept.
I think it would do them good to get 50-100 ABs and gain MLB experience . Then in off season they could work on some adjustments they need to be ready for 2015..

They could be mentally and physically prepared going into ST knowing their going north to chicago and not IOWA

czman

Liked Posts:
I agree with the 4 being brought up by Sept.
I think it would do them good to get 50-100 ABs and gain MLB experience . Then in off season they could work on some adjustments they need to be ready for 2015..

They could be mentally and physically prepared going into ST knowing their going north to chicago and not IOWA

Are they are all on the 40 man roster?

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
I'd be surprised if he was brought up before the Iowa season ended

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Are they are all on the 40 man roster?
Soler is... Baez and Bryant could be added on after they decide who their gonna put on waivers to try and trade or let go

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think Baez gets called up before September. Soler is definitely getting called up in September. Bryant, eh, he's a maybe. He still has some work to do with his contact rate and his K rate.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

You need inventory.

Super Two

Normally, players must have accrued at least three years of MLB service time before they can be eligible for salary arbitration — or in other words, until they can negotiate their salary and not have it automatically set by their club. But certain players with less than three years of service time can also become eligible for arbitration, if they meet the following criteria:

● If they have less than three years of service time, but more than two.

● If they rank within the top 22% of all 2-year players in terms of service time.

So if a player finishes a season and is just shy of three years of service time (say, 2 years and 171 days) then MLB will award them Super Two status and they’ll be eligible for arbitration. Since these players are still under team control for another three seasons, that means Super Two players get four year of salary arbitration instead of the typical three.

The Super Two cutoff used to stand at 17%, but got changed to 22% in the new CBA negotiations. This means that if a team wants to keep a player in the minors until after the Super Two cutoff, they will have to keep that player in the minors for even longer than before. Considering that the cutoff used to fall sometime in June — it varied from year to year, as the 17% cutoff isn’t tied to a specific date — it will likely end up being in July going forward.

Business of Baseball Glossary
Written by Jeff Euston
Tuesday, 30 January 2007 16:46
A player with almost 3 years of Major League service time may become eligible for arbitration.

To qualify, a player must:
have at least 2 years of service, but less than 3, and;
have accumulated at least 86 days of service in the previous year, and;
rank in the top 17% of all 2-year players in service time.

The cutoff point generally falls between 2 years, 128 days of service and 2 years, 140 days.

They go by physical days vs game days so a season normally runs around 181 days. It varies year by year.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
What I believe is they have a set date to start their clocks. If a sept call up doesn't count towards their service time than that would be the starting point. If it does than I believe the starting point will be after their super 2 timer goes off.

Now Soler has a clause where he can opt out when he hits arb so if he hits super 2 than his clause clicks in. He does fall under these rules as far as control is concerned.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
What I believe is they have a set date to start their clocks. If a sept call up doesn't count towards their service time than that would be the starting point. If it does than I believe the starting point will be after their super 2 timer goes off.

Now Soler has a clause where he can opt out when he hits arb so if he hits super 2 than his clause clicks in. He does fall under these rules as far as control is concerned.

They aren't going to go for super 2 with all of them. They are will be to ready. Now, I can see them keep them down for the first 3 weeks of the season and then they gain a full year of control on all of them

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Soler has to be on the team at some point next year or they lose him and they aren't going to let that happen

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
Looks like the time is NOW!