Rumor: Jon Lester’s Former Teammates Believe He Will Sign With the Chicago Cubs

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Unfortunately I believe we been here before where there been players with supposed interest to joining the cubs..
I dont believe anything anymore til it actually done..

But yea supposedly lester is interested and also the cubs have scherzer on their wish list.

Be kinda cool if cubs could do kind of a dream team and get lester scherzer and a 3rd guy like Gallardo if he becomes available to sign reasonable deals to pitch the cubs to a championship. Lol

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Unfortunately I believe we been here before where there been players with supposed interest to joining the cubs..

But yea supposedly lester is interested and also the cubs have scherzer on their wish list.

Be kinda cool if cubs could do kind of a dream team and get lester scherzer and a 3rd guy like Gallardo if he becomes available to sign reasonable deals to pitch the cubs to a championship. Lol

Let's trade for Kershaw too.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Let's trade for Kershaw too.
I was kidding before everyone goes crazy over it..

Its not going to happen but they could legitimately give all 3 of those guys a deal like 22 mil per for 5 yrs and still probably have a payroll under 110 mil next year.

Their offense would be cheap and talented, but they would be very young and inconsistence all year.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
No need for Gallardo. They can fill out the rest of the rotation in this scenario with Arrieta +Hendricks/ Turner/Dubront/Jackson/ Ramirez

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I believe they need to add 1 and trade out Wood for next year. Over all Wood has been in decline. Jackson would be a 22 mil contract eat. I see them being stuck with that one until it is a lesser deal to absorb.

They could just go after Maeda and trade out Wood.

I agree it would come down to Boston not offering Lester his market value. I believe it will take a 130 mil offer to sign him.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I read this days ago. I didnt post it because it is not that credible. It just seems like random talk. I do think the cubs will go after Lester over anyone, but I dont put much importance on a couple of ex teammates, who they dont name, to have some sort of insider knowledge. Lester doesnt have an idea where he will go.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I read this days ago. I didnt post it because it is not that credible. It just seems like random talk. I do think the cubs will go after Lester over anyone, but I dont put much importance on a couple of ex teammates, who they dont name, to have some sort of insider knowledge. Lester doesnt have an idea where he will go.

I figured some might not have caught it and some would want to read it whether or not it was "credible." In all honesty, my personal feeling is they are going to try and trade for a young type tier starter. I'm not going to shove the idea down people's throats because I've already mentioned concerns about Baez. Perhaps I've done that with some things(Baez at 3B, Alcantara in general) but I'm trying not to go over zealous on stuff though I admit I can go hard on issues I feel strongly about.

Overall though, they have so much talent in the minors hitting wise that eventually some of it's going to have to be moved. Rizzo's easily made Vogelbach expendable at this point given he's 3 years older and on pace for likely a 5 fWAR season. If we presume Alcantara stays in the OF then you're talking about multiple redundancies there with Soler, Almora, Schwarber and McKinney and that's before consideration for Eloy Jimenez and others who may be surprisingly good(Dunston for example). And while I get the idea of keeping talent and seeing what pans out, other than Schwarber, McKinney and Vogelbach most of the top 10 guys are at AA or higher so you're going to have to make some decisions in the next year or so anyways.

That's not to say they couldn't still sign another arm in FA but if we hypothetically suggest they some how manage to offload Jackson on someone you could add someone like Lester/Scherzer, a younger stud with talent similar to Reds trading for Latos, have Arrieta as a #3 and then have Hendricks, Straily, Jokish, Beeler, Wood, and Ramirez(?) duke it out for 4th/5th starter. You put that together with the bigger bats coming up and suddenly the team looks pretty decent even if a Latos type trade costs you two of the top 75 prospects.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I figured some might not have caught it and some would want to read it whether or not it was "credible." In all honesty, my personal feeling is they are going to try and trade for a young type tier starter. I'm not going to shove the idea down people's throats because I've already mentioned concerns about Baez. Perhaps I've done that with some things(Baez at 3B, Alcantara in general) but I'm trying not to go over zealous on stuff though I admit I can go hard on issues I feel strongly about.
I'd rather you keep reinforcing your opinion. I'd like to know why you think the Cubs will trade for a "young top tier starter"...I am assuming that is opposed to signing one like Lester?

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:

Lester and Scherzer might help a little. :yep:

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Surely the Yankees have to be in on the bidding.

True. A pitcher could be dead, but if he is a free agent, the Yankees will be in on the bidding and they will have no reasonable limit.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I dont know. This isnt the old man bidding Yankees. They have Sabathia and they have Tanaka on the books. Jeter comes off and Im sure they will be strong players but I dont see them as the unstoppable force they were before. If they do decide that, I think Scherzer would be there target.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

like when oswalt made comments about peavy and peavy being heard singing go cubs go.

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lester be stupid to go to a shitty team.

He should take a short term deal & stay in Oakland.