Rumor: Jon Lester’s Former Teammates Believe He Will Sign With the Chicago Cubs

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
S you said the same thing with Wood last year. It couldn't hold. Lester is having a career year right now and is going to get paid off of it. Now he is a legit #2 in the league. At max he should get 130 mil due to his play off track record.

I'm expecting him to want a deal like Cliff Lee got from Philly.

5 years/$120M (2011-15), plus 2016 option

signed by Philadelphia as a free agent 12/14/10
11:$11M, 12:$21.5M, 13:$25M, 14:$25M, 15:$25M, 16:$27.5M club option ($12.5M buyout)
option becomes guaranteed if Lee 1) is not on the disabled list at end of 2015 season with injury to left elbow or left shoulder, and 2) has 200 IP in 2015 or 400 IP in 2014-15
award bonuses: $50,000 each for Gold Glove, Silver Slugger, All-Star, LCS MVP. $0.1M for WS MVP. $0.1M for Cy Young ($75,000 for 2nd in vote, $50,000 for 3rd)
limited no-trade protection (may block trades to 20 clubs, including all clubs except Atlanta, Cleveland, Houston, Miami, Minnesota, NY Mets, San Diego, Tampa Bay and Washington)

That is honestly a legit ballpark figure for him.

If you want the Cubs to win, you sign someone like Lester. If you want to sit on the thumbs again, you do nothing. Lester, or someone like him puts this ball club throttling forward. If I can have a Lester type, followed by Arrieta, Hendricks, Wood, and a filler, then I do it. Simple as that.

And Silence is dead on. You do take a chance on Lester. I don't care if he is 30 going on 31, and going to get paid 140 million for 6 years. Shark was going to demand somewhere in the range of 5/100 or more, so basically, the Cubs replace Shark and Hamels, with Lester and Hendricks which is close to the same money, and they get two really good prospects and a spot starter or bullpen arm also in the farm.

And don't forget, Lester is a lefty, costs no picks, and is coming from the AL which should only improve some of his numbers or keep them exactly the same. Yeah, I am all in on him, and I expect the Cubs to do the same.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Lester going back to Boston...

Maybe. He already has a rings and may get another one this year. He will go where he feels best suited. Family comes into play, and I'm sure the overall team does too.

I hope he wants to roll the dice with the Cubs, but I expect Theo and Jed to throw a lot of everything at him. They know what's at stake, where the Cubs are, where they are headed, and whether they choose not to listen to the fans, they still hear them.

They (as well as most) want nothing more than to finally be buyers instead of sellers at the deadline, and you don't achieve that by burying your head in the sand when it comes to a TOR pitcher that you've had ties to, and basically costs only money that you have a boatload of.

More often than not, money talks.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
S you said the same thing with Wood last year. It couldn't hold. Lester is having a career year right now and is going to get paid off of it. Now he is a legit #2 in the league. At max he should get 130 mil due to his play off track record.

I'm expecting him to want a deal like Cliff Lee got from Philly.

signed by Philadelphia as a free agent 12/14/10
11:$11M, 12:$21.5M, 13:$25M, 14:$25M, 15:$25M, 16:$27.5M club option ($12.5M buyout)
option becomes guaranteed if Lee 1) is not on the disabled list at end of 2015 season with injury to left elbow or left shoulder, and 2) has 200 IP in 2015 or 400 IP in 2014-15
award bonuses: $50,000 each for Gold Glove, Silver Slugger, All-Star, LCS MVP. $0.1M for WS MVP. $0.1M for Cy Young ($75,000 for 2nd in vote, $50,000 for 3rd)
limited no-trade protection (may block trades to 20 clubs, including all clubs except Atlanta, Cleveland, Houston, Miami, Minnesota, NY Mets, San Diego, Tampa Bay and Washington)

That is honestly a legit ballpark figure for him.

Lester has been bad one year in his whole career. Travis Wood had one good year in his entire career. Lester also pitched in the AL East. Lester is the least risk out of numbers 1's on the market. He is a proven winner and a 200 IP machine. I dont think people understand the difference between a number 1 and a top 5 pitcher in the league.

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
“(The Red Sox) told me, ‘We're going to be aggressive. You're going to get blown out of the water by some of these (other) offers,' ” Lester recalled. “I'm like, ‘I don't need to be blown out of the water.' Why would I need to be blown out of the water? That doesn't make or break your decision, at least for me. I'm not going to the highest bidder. I'm going to the place that makes me and my family happy. If that's Boston, it's Boston."

“In the greater scheme of things, we're talking about just a stupid amount of money,” he said. “For me, I want to be comfortable. The way I look at it is, if someone gives you $170 million and someone gives you $150 million, is that $20 million really going to change your lifestyle? Same thing if the highest bidder is $100 million and the team you're going to feel most comfortable with offers $80 million. Is that $20 million really going to make the difference in your lifestyle?”

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on...ree-agency-im-not-going-to-the-highest-bidder
I'm surprised more athletes don't feel this way. Maybe it's different once someone is actually offering you insane money, maybe more players than we'd like to think only care about money, or maybe it's pressure from players unions... but I've seen way too many times where players have let non-lifestyle changing money take them to what appears to be much worse situations.

theberserkfury

Liked Posts:
I'm surprised more athletes don't feel this way. Maybe it's different once someone is actually offering you insane money, maybe more players than we'd like to think only care about money, or maybe it's pressure from players unions... but I've seen way too many times where players have let non-lifestyle changing money take them to what appears to be much worse situations.

I mean, at this point all he's doing is saying he feels that way... he wouldn't be the first guy to do so...

Let's see how much (if any) money he actually leaves on the table.

And yeah, I imagine we all might have a little tougher time saying no to an extra $20 million or something when we had an offer in front of us...

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I mean, at this point all he's doing is saying he feels that way... he wouldn't be the first guy to do so...

Let's see how much (if any) money he actually leaves on the table.

And yeah, I imagine we all might have a little tougher time saying no to an extra $20 million or something when we had an offer in front of us...
Didn't Melo first say its all about winning championship now cause he had the money, then went back to the knicks and the money

theberserkfury

Liked Posts:
Didn't Melo first say its all about winning championship now cause he had the money, then went back to the knicks and the money

That's the guy... and he's STILL claiming that it's not about the money. What a joke.

"I want to win. I don't care about the money," Anthony told ESPN.com. "I believe Phil will do what he has to do to take care of that.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer...n-a-long-shot-cubs-yankees-are-likely-players

There have been a lot of nice things said by ace starter Jon Lester about the Red Sox since being traded to the Athletics, and that shouldn't be a surprise. There's no reason to think he didn't absolutely love his time in Boston, as he has said both before he left and since he has gone.

Still, it's quite a leap from loving his stay in Boston to being likely to return there this winter as a free agent. The reality is, it's probably the opposite. The strong belief around the game is that Lester is likely to sign somewhere other than the Red Sox.

Most folks around baseball would be surprised if Lester and the Red Sox could agree on a contract at a time other teams will be bidding hard for him. After all, the two sides couldn't come close to doing it when they had a clear shot at contract. A return by Lester to Boston was dubbed a "long shot" by league officials who have familiarity with the situation.

The Cubs and rival Yankees, among others, look like much more likely landing spots for Lester at this time, in fact. The Yankees have admired Lester's guts and clutch pitching for years (and especially that career 0.43 World Series ERA) and would surely make a play for the former Red Sox ace. Meanwhile, folks around the game suggest Lester's old friends Theo Epstein and Jed Hoyer, who picked Lester for Boston and are now running the Cubs, are extremely likely to be in there pitching, as well. Epstein and Hoyer "absolutely love" Lester, is the word from one official who knows Chicago's top execs well.

The Cubs are maybe a year away from contending, but they showed a willingness to spend more than $100 million for Cole Hamels and Masahiro Tanaka (before the Yankees signed Tanaka). Of course, the Yankees and Cubs are just two of many who may make a play for this marquee free agent.

The Red Sox obviously need pitching after trading or losing five of the six starters who started at least 10 games for them in their championship season of 2013, but one rival exec, speaking of Lester, stressed that Red Sox owner John Henry is "risk averse" when it comes to long deals, especially for pitchers. Boston's current front office seems to be of a similar mind considering their recent free-agent forays have been for three years or fewer. Lester should be able to command at least six years, and very likely seven, as a free agent.

Lester, off his big season, is expected to be able to command $150 million or more as a free agent -- which is more than double Boston's initial offer to him back in spring. Boston's opening bid of $70 million for four years was just that, but they never got higher since, as one person put it he "cut things off," referring to the talks.

The issue now, is if they can restart the talks while Lester is a free agent, where do they start? With the assumption that Lester commands $150 million plus as a free agent, one rival executive said of Boston's chances to get anywhere close to that, "The Red Sox aren't going to admit they made an $80 million mistake by offering $150 million, one rival executive said.

It isn't close to certain the Red Sox see their opening salvo as a mistake, anyway, but there's nothing to suggest the Red Sox would go anywhere near $150 million, not for a pitcher who is 30, not even for Lester.

There was word when Boston broached the idea of re-starting talks around the start of July that they might have been willing to go to $100 million for five years at that time. However, Lester, as he told CBSSports.com at the All-Star Game, was "thrown off" by Boston's midseason attempt, suggesting he wanted to concentrate on a season that was slipping away, at least for the Red Sox.

When the Red Sox traded him, the belief was that they understood its chances to re-sign him were slim, and there's no reason to believe they believe otherwise now. The trade itself raised Lester's value by eliminating the possibility a qualifying offer may be made (and the draft-pick attachment that's affected recent free agents), and the Red Sox understood that.

Lester has consistently said he would consider a hometown discount to stay in Boston, but his value point has been rising with his spectacular season in both Boston and Oakland (he's 13-8 with a 2.58 ERA), and even though a proliferation of bad arm injuries among pitchers around the game may scare off a few folks, the price of an ace is expected to be sky-high. Max Scherzer, due to what's seen as slightly better stuff and velocity and perhaps and even better trend line, may be viewed by some as a little ahead of Lester as the top free-agent starter in a strong starting market, but Lester's resume is actually better.

Lester recently said nice things again about Boston in a recent interview with the Boston Herald, and that shouldn't surprise anyone.

"My time there, the memories and all that stuff, don't get erased based on this whole ordeal," Lester told the Herald. "I'm glad with where I'm at, and I understood where Ben [Cherington] was at. At the end of the season, it's not going to change my mind about going back there if they are aggressive and competitive and do the things they say they're going to do. Boston is definitely a place I would go."

Lester also suggested money wouldn't be the prime motivating factor in his decision of where to play. And that may well be so.

"[The Red Sox] told me, "We're going to be aggressive. You're going to get blown out of the water by some of these [other] offers,'" Lester told the Herald regarding his last conversation with Red Sox owner John Henry. "I'm like, 'I don't need to be blown out of the water.' Why would I need to be blown out of the water? That doesn't make or break your decision, at least for me. I'm not going to the highest bidder. I'm going to the place that makes me and my family happy. If that's Boston, it's Boston."

Lester went on, saying, "In the greater scheme of things, we're talking about just a stupid amount of money. For me, I want to be comfortable. The way I look at it is, if someone gives you $170 million and someone gives you $150 million, is that $20 million really going to change your lifestyle? Same thing if the highest bidder is $100 million and the team you're going to feel most comfortable with offers $80 million. Is that $20 million really going to make the difference in your lifestyle? ... I want to be happy. I want my family to be happy. I want to be comfortable. If that means taking less money, it means taking less money. If it means going to the highest bidder, it means going to the highest bidder, but that's not going to dictate where I'll be happy."

Lester is a straight shooter, and it's possible Boston's the only place that could make Lester happy. But it's not likely to come down to only a $20 million difference. And if it's a $50 million gap, Lester would become maybe the first free agent ever to leave that kind of money on the table.

Maybe he does, but almost everyone around the game would be shocked if that happens.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
We will see how it plays out. Lester makes the Cubs a better team. That part is a given.