Mundy considers suing Schutt

BeardedFool

Not only on the neck
Liked Posts:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...egal-action-against-schutt-after-cut-to-head/

Bears safety Ryan Mundy suffered a cut to his head that required stitches during the team’s preseason game against the Seahawks and he’s considering legal action against the helmet manufacturer as a result.

Mundy was wearing a Schutt helmet when he collided with Seahawks fullback Derrick Coleman and says a sharp edge inside the helmet caused a cut that led to 16 stitches. Mundy said he has to “do some diligence about what action” he can take against the company, which he says came to the Bears to fix the issue on other helmets in the wake of Mundy’s injury.

“Their guy came in a few days ago and put a protective pad inside the helmet of the other guys that are wearing Schutt helmets to cover up the edge that was kind of sharp,” Mundy said, via the Chicago Tribune. “I’ve never seen anything like this ever. This can’t happen. It’s not supposed to work out like that at all.”

We’ll leave discussions on legal action to those with law degrees, but something does seem off if a helmet designed to protect its wearer contributes to his injury instead.

Mundy hasn’t worn a helmet since suffering the injury, but is expected back on the field this week wearing a Riddell helmet.

MaoTenDoo

Rabid Homer
Donator
Liked Posts:
Interesting. I saw him being treated on the sideline and thought it was weird that he was bleeding from the top of his forehead.

Huxster

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Doesn't the NFL test this shit?? or do they just take the money from the suppliers and give them free rein. Surely the NFL may find itself culpable here for not ensuring provided equipment is up to standard ??!

Don't Care

CCS Jesus
Liked Posts:
Doesn't the NFL test this shit?? or do they just take the money from the suppliers and give them free rein. Surely the NFL may find itself culpable here for not ensuring provided equipment is up to standard ??!

Wouldn't be surprised at all if the answer is they just pocket the cash.

Man

Liked Posts:
breakingbadsaul.jpg

I guess in America getting money from a lawsuit is just as good as being paid to be on a professional football team.

proton

Liked Posts:
He should sue these pricks. I'm no lawyer but I am involved in post market product safety and it seems to me an unsafe helmet design that directly leads to an injury to the head is definitely actionable.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I still maintain that they need to design a better helmet reduces concussions and reduces injuries caused by the hardness of the helmet itself.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
They need to redesign the entire helmet both for the protection of the player wearing it as well as the player getting hit by it.

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
It sounds like a flaw in design by the helmet company. Which he would have a legit lawsuit.

dabearsjjk

Liked Posts:
They need to design a helmet that does not protect the player nearly as well. If it hurts I guarantee they will not hit as hard.

Look at rugby. Ever tackle is a good tackle

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
They need to design a helmet that does not protect the player nearly as well. If it hurts I guarantee they will not hit as hard.

While you are correct you can't go backwards... First season like this someone will die on the field. It will never happen. You watch the Ole Miss game last week? I thought one of the receivers heads were going to fly off!

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I still maintain that they need to design a better helmet reduces concussions and reduces injuries caused by the hardness of the helmet itself.

It doesn't matter what design changes you make to a helmet, it's not possible to prevent concussions since they're caused by rapid deceleration and the brain impacting the interior of the skull.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:

18 players died in 1905 alone back when football was guided by your brilliant reasoning, Einstein...

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
18 players died in 1905 alone back when football was guided by your brilliant reasoning, Einstein...

Umm, people died because of literal clotheslines and other aggressive actions were allowed.

It's something Ditka has gone on about for years. The helmet of today is a protective weapon. Altering it drastically would probably be the best way to solve head hits and head tackling.

Sent from my LGL85C using Tapatalk 2