Safety position still unsettled.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
The problem is the Bears were weak up the middle and we only addressed one phase of that problem, DT. Bostic is a joke and Conte couldn't tackle my grandmother in the open field.
In fairness to conte, he had a pretty messed up shoulder he tried playing through all last season. For a safety who needs to open field tackle, I have little doubt that shoulder injury led to a lot of whiffed tackles and shitty plays on his end. I read he tried rehabbing it but surgery was the best option for this coming year and on. Sounded much 'more serious than any of us thought. But he toughed it out last year and hopefully is coming into this season 100%. Although with surgery like that, you're probably coming in round 80%

Newblood

Liked Posts:
In fairness to conte, he had a pretty messed up shoulder he tried playing through all last season. For a safety who needs to open field tackle, I have little doubt that shoulder injury led to a lot of whiffed tackles and shitty plays on his end. I read he tried rehabbing it but surgery was the best option for this coming year and on. Sounded much 'more serious than any of us thought. But he toughed it out last year and hopefully is coming into this season 100%. Although with surgery like that, you're probably coming in round 80%

Problem with Conte, I feel, is his confidence. It's probably shot to hell. And it doesn't help when you have inbred fans booing you in your own home. If he can make some plays and start to feel like people are behind him and not him vs the world, he may be able to build on that. He may never recover, but he has shown in the past he can at least be serviceable.

Edit: and the lack of playing time in the off-season has done him no favors.

Treehorn

Liked Posts:

I hope you're right but a shoulder doesn't impact Conte getting juked on a routine basis or repeatedly taking bad angles in run support and pass plays.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Meh. I'm sure you can find examples of 0-4, 1-3 preaeason teams who looked horrible, who end up making playoffs. And 4-0 preseason teams blowing it once the reg starts.

I don't buy into it at all.

1-3 preaseason, 15-1 regular season and on to win Super Bowl 20. !985 Bears. The 0-16 Lions were 4-0 in the preseason

OnemanWolfpack

Liked Posts:
I disagree, a good pass rush will help the safeties immensely.

That's true but at the end of the day the safety is the last line of defense. An offensive tackle is expected to hold his block for 3-5 seconds and can receive a chip or have a QB with quick release and be fine. It's not ideal but the Bears were the #2 offense last year while doing that. Safety has to maintain his coverage and make the play when it is there to be made. No one can help him make an open field tackle or take the right angle or be in the correct coverage or fill the right gap. A good pass rush is only going to go so far and even the best pass rush can be beaten.

I believe that you need to have playmakers at safety.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
conte will make some great plays and then some horrible plays. that's what you get for him. you can only hope the great plays are in close games when we need it the most, and the bonehead plays (missing tackles, bad angles, out of position) happen when we're really far ahead or in a way that doesn't cost us a win.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I hope you're right but a shoulder doesn't impact Conte getting juked on a routine basis or repeatedly taking bad angles in run support and pass plays.

All this talk about Conte's confidence and being booed by fans hurting his feelings? The guy has never played well with the Bear's. He just isn't a guy who can read a play and know where to go. He is almost always in between somewhere. IF guys on an island get beat, they get beat. No one is perfect BUT.......... Conte doesn't make good decisions and that is unacceptable in any player.

Newblood

Liked Posts:
That's true but at the end of the day the safety is the last line of defense. An offensive tackle is expected to hold his block for 3-5 seconds and can receive a chip or have a QB with quick release and be fine. It's not ideal but the Bears were the #2 offense last year while doing that. Safety has to maintain his coverage and make the play when it is there to be made. No one can help him make an open field tackle or take the right angle or be in the correct coverage or fill the right gap. A good pass rush is only going to go so far and even the best pass rush can be beaten.

I believe that you need to have playmakers at safety.

Therein lies the problem. People expect a single safety to be a run stuffer, a great open field tackler and a lock-down coverage defender all in one. If it was that easy, we wouldn't have strong safeties and free safeties. Finding a safety that is even above average in all of those areas is hard to find.

I get as frustrated as the next guy watching Conte's play sometimes. But let's be honest, people are asking a lot from him. When the front 7 let RBs run free down the field, yes, our safeties are going to look ridiculous more often than not. I'm not necessarily defending Conte's play, but a lot of top safeties in the league would have looked below average playing behind our front 7 last year.

JJMPB

Liked Posts:
no way Conte is in game shape missing practicaly all of TC and the preseason

Jeff George

Liked Posts:
I still think emery has something up his sleeve in the coming week. We only have 4 mediocre safeties. None on the PS.

Clemons could be a Bear by tomorrow.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
I still think emery has something up his sleeve in the coming week. We only have 4 mediocre safeties. None on the PS.

Clemons could be a Bear by tomorrow.

Name one team that is weaker at S then we are. Can't. Therefore, our Safeties /= mediocre.

bullsadonisdna

Liked Posts:
Um by the way i see, only based on these preseason games mind you, idk if it matters. I see why its hard to make a decision, surely they are all getting burnt , cant stop water with a plug. Tough decision.
Sorry to the ultrasensitive. U would think football fans would have tougher skin and not be so pissed boned about reality.

MacBear

Liked Posts:
Meh. I'm sure you can find examples of 0-4, 1-3 preaeason teams who looked horrible, who end up making playoffs. And 4-0 preseason teams blowing it once the reg starts.

I don't buy into it at all.
The last time we went 0-4 in the preseason was the last time we were in the playoffs. Conversely, the lions went 4-0 in 2008 iirc. Preseason means shit.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Respect is earned. Conte has given me no reason to trust him. I will remain healthily skeptical until he proves me wrong. I think that's where a lot of Bears fans are

AHSIllini32

Liked Posts:
Respect is earned. Conte has given me no reason to trust him. I will remain healthily skeptical until he proves me wrong. I think that's where a lot of Bears fans are

Other than his first two years in the NFL?

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
The bengals were last year's week one opponent.. Jordan mills was a rookie and held his own. If he does poorly in wk one I don't think the coaching staff would hesitate to put Ola in who has looked dec in the preseason.
I was gonna comment on him not knowing our week 1 opponent but figured other people would do it first.