Safety position still unsettled.

OnemanWolfpack

Liked Posts:
Looking like even the Bears aren't sure who they want to start and won't lock it down til Wednesday. Probably a fluid situation even when games start.

“We’re rotating the guys around,” Trestman said. “And we’ll talk more about that on Wednesday. We’ll get them started in the right direction. I’d just rather wait another day and a half.”

McCray and Mundy started the first three preseason games with Conte mixing in during the 4th. The writer goes on to speculate that Conte will replace McCray in the starting lineup. Conte was back at practice today. There was no mention of Vareen.

Quoted from a tribune article. I didn't want to post the entire thing on here because I didn't want to get the CCS in trouble. Not sure if it is pay for or not because for some reason I've been able to see the pay for articles. If someone can assure me the CCS won't get in trouble I will post the entire thing.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...fety-starting-conte-mundy-20140901-story.html

BringBackDitka54

Liked Posts:
IMG_0310.png

Have no fear...

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
Looking forward to having Conte back. I really was hoping for a Wilson/Conte pairing, as it seems many of us were. But alas, the bears must have seen something for Adrian to be first round of cuts. All I saw was a guy not getting a fair shot with the 1s during preseason. He made some plays, but it is what it is. This is Mel Tucker's calls so in questioning pretty much every move lol

Treehorn

Liked Posts:
Chicagobears.com has Conte listed as the 3rd string FS as of now.

Silverwulf

Liked Posts:
Part of the problem is that we only have one of the four that's not something of a "tweener".

Conte is a FS, that one's pretty clear. Maybe not a very good one, but that's a different problem.
But the other three don't seem to fit either mold well. And I know the coaching staff said that didn't matter, but I'm not sure I can believe that just yet.

Mundy is a better SS I think, but he has played FS in the past and he's worked at both spots I believe.
McCray looks like a SS, but plays more like a FS.
And Vereen is the opposite ... looks like a FS, but plays more like a SS.

Treehorn

Liked Posts:
Looking forward to having Conte back. I really was hoping for a Wilson/Conte pairing, as it seems many of us were. But alas, the bears must have seen something for Adrian to be first round of cuts. All I saw was a guy not getting a fair shot with the 1s during preseason. He made some plays, but it is what it is. This is Mel Tucker's calls so in questioning pretty much every move lol

I have to believe the coaches saw plenty in practice. He is 34 and coming off a torn Achilles I am pretty sure he just doesn't have the speed to compete any longer. NFL is a young mans game.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
I tell you, as worried as we all seem to be about the S position being held by a bunch of question marks. The other big question to me is Jordan Mills.

He hasn't played one preseason game, was in and out of Training Camp due to that bad foot, now is apparently practicing and his first opponent will be the a Bengals line... Damn. It's not like he was a world beater last year either. This could have disaster all over it.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
I have to believe the coaches saw plenty in practice. He is 34 and coming off a torn Achilles I am pretty sure he just doesn't have the speed to compete any longer. NFL is a young mans game.

Yeah, I know. Just seemed the guy worked his ass off to get a chance and really seemed hungry. sucks he couldn't pull it together in preaeason. I still would have liked to have seen him with the 1s, but it is what it is.

TrapperKarl

Liked Posts:
Conte has beautiful muscular arms. Hopefully he puts them to good use this season.

CutlersCorner

Liked Posts:
I tell you, as worried as we all seem to be about the S position being held by a bunch of question marks. The other big question to me is Jordan Mills.

He hasn't played one preseason game, was in and out of Training Camp due to that bad foot, now is apparently practicing and his first opponent will be the a Bengals line... Damn. It's not like he was a world beater last year either. This could have disaster all over it.

The bengals were last year's week one opponent.. Jordan mills was a rookie and held his own. If he does poorly in wk one I don't think the coaching staff would hesitate to put Ola in who has looked dec in the preseason.

OnemanWolfpack

Liked Posts:

Bills line but we all get your point and you are right. At least with Mills we can scheme away from him or give him help. Hopefully Cutlers better understanding of the
O translates to a quicker release which will help.

There is no helping the safeties though.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
My mistake fellas. Definelty was thinking of last yeas haha.

Bills line is no joke either. And I did like Olah a lot, but his build seems more fitted for Guard? Hopefully he's a solid backup.

Newblood

Liked Posts:
Bills line but we all get your point and you are right. At least with Mills we can scheme away from him or give him help. Hopefully Cutlers better understanding of the

Sure there is. Good D-line pressure and CB play can help the safeties tremendously. A good reason the safety play look so horrid last hear is because the players in front of them hung them out to dry over and over.

Treehorn

Liked Posts:
Sure there is. Good D-line pressure and CB play can help the safeties tremendously. A good reason the safeties play look so horrid last hear is because the players in front of them hung them out to dry over and over.

The problem is the Bears were weak up the middle and we only addressed one phase of that problem, DT. Bostic is a joke and Conte couldn't tackle my grandmother in the open field.

BringBackDitka54

Liked Posts:

I disagree, a good pass rush will help the safeties immensely.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
It's gonna be conte and mundy,I don't give a shit what trestman says

With Conte's concussion, and missing the last preseason game, I thought this regime was going to cut him. They obviously like Conte a lot, or everyone else not so much. I think you're right, I think they are going to try to put Conte in game as soon as possible. Which is another way of saying it's his job to lose.

Nope. All I gathered was they thought he was too slow. They way Tucker wants to use his Safeties, and this passing league... as long as a guy can tackle, they want speed and coverage.

Part of the problem is that we only have one of the four that's not something of a "tweener".

Conte is a FS, that one's pretty clear. Maybe not a very good one, but that's a different problem.
But the other three don't seem to fit either mold well. And I know the coaching staff said that didn't matter, but I'm not sure I can believe that just yet.

Mundy is a better SS I think, but he has played FS in the past and he's worked at both spots I believe.
McCray looks like a SS, but plays more like a FS.
And Vereen is the opposite ... looks like a FS, but plays more like a SS.

Ya, the Bears depth chart shows McCray, Vereen and Conte all FS. I think Vereen and Conte arel better at typical FS than typical SS.

If Mundy goes down, who's the new SS? Definitely McCray -- he's 221lbs.

Newblood

Liked Posts:
The problem is the Bears were weak up the middle and we only addressed one phase of that problem, DT. Bostic is a joke and Conte couldn't tackle my grandmother in the open field.

Time will tell soon enough. I personally like to keep the preseason in perspective of what it is, an opportunity for the coaches to press the players and put them in difficult situations. That being said, watching them in the preseason sure didn't instill a lot of confidence. Just have to cross my fingers that they step up when it counts.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
Time will tell soon enough. I personally like to keep the preseason in perspective of what it is, an opportunity for the coaches to press the players and put them in difficult situations. That being said, watching them in the preseason sure didn't instill a lot of confidence. Just have to cross my fingers that they step up when it counts.

Meh. I'm sure you can find examples of 0-4, 1-3 preaeason teams who looked horrible, who end up making playoffs. And 4-0 preseason teams blowing it once the reg starts.

I don't buy into it at all.