Anyone Recall THIS Many Question Marks Going Into a Season?

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
Ok, so we had last year's offensive line and, pre B Marsh and Alshon, the WR corps every year, but frankly, I don't recall a season with THIS many questions marks 6 days away from the opener. Let's play:

- Long Snapper - yes, Mannelly was a staple for 100 years, but think about it. The long snapper was signed on Saturday. After he'd been cut by the Bears already and Tampa. The guy they thought was the guy was released 8 days before the opener. With a new holder, I can see this being a problem. Robbie Gould hasn't looked great in pre-season. Having a new snapper and new holder could be the difference between a successful game tying/game winning field goal. I predict a game in which that will translate to a Bears loss.

- KR/PR - the Bears did not have a PR until a few days ago. A guy who was on the couch now has that job based on one - one - decent return against one of the doormats of the NFL. That's a major concern. The Bears brought in and tried a number of guys. None of them won the job (save for Holmes). At this point, I'm hoping for fair catches and that's all. Same for KR. A guy who very few thought would even make the 53 is now the #1 return man.

- ST - a mess all over. Yes, ST sucked last year. 8 of the 11 players are gone. Normally I'd think that's a good thing. I think they replaced shit with worse shit. Eric Weems sucked as a return man, but was quite good on coverage. As was Sherrick McManus (will see less ST time). Constanzo was decent. Jerry Franklin is gone. I simply don't feel great about this unit. Why should I?

- TE - Zach Miller going down hurt. Yes, he had one game, but it was a great one. Rosario is a guy. Mulligan is a nobody. I see two guys who are backups. Not guys who can run two TE sets.

- Safety - ah, safety. They chose not to address that clear need until the 4th round. Vereen had an opportunity to shine and apparently he didn't. One of the best ever (Wilson) was brought in but he doesn't have anything left. Mundy is a guy. Just a guy. Danny McCray was brought in as a core ST guy and is now listed as the starter. Conte was the guy everyone on Earth wanted gone and unfortunately, may be the best option at his position.

I won't say backup QB because most backup QBs suck. Claussen has started games and has some experience and seems to have command of the offense. I'm ok with him.

These bits make me very nervous are most likely the reason we are looking an 8-8 team in a difficult division and VERY tough NFC.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pat Mannelly needs to shut his BBQ Brisket piehole and come whip it to Megapunt before I lose my shit!

Culpfiction

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
l9bz0n5.jpg

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
No, I don't. And I was going to start a post saying the same thing yesterday, just decided not to.

Of course, you are going to be attacked by people saying that Angelo went into seasons without offensive linemen. Which isn't true. He kept drafting offensive linemen, and either they were hurt already, or got hurt immediately, and then we starting shifting the offensive line around and shit. This happened every year. The most important thing to an offensive line is continuity and playing together and trusting each other. That never had a chance to develop.

We have question marks, I think that people don't care that much, because they are not fantasy league type question marks, which is the mental aptitude of the world today in football.

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
I would also add LB.

At this point, I'm concerned that Briggs is past his prime. He looked slow and fat in pre-season and I'm sure BBQ isn't helping. Also, add to that, there are 3 LBs on this team and we simply aren't sure can be NFL LB (Bostic, Greene, Shea) - one of them a mid/late first round pick.

It's one thing to look at a team and know they suck, but quite another to look with a big old headshake. That's the 2014/15 Bears.

chitownbears88

CSS Resident Curtis Enis
Liked Posts:

QB- Can Jay get better with Trestman?

Coach- Is Trestman an NFL coach?

Coach- Can Tucker keep the cover-2 alive without Urlacher?

DE- Will Shea ever get it?

LB- Is there enough depth? Boom Bostic!!!!

WR- Marshall and ??????

Yes just last year we had questions. And we saw some positives and negatives.

Calm the fuck down

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
Seriously, tell me why I (or anyone for that matter) bothers with this site. Is it a bar stool type discussion of sports? Every bit I just brought up was discussed by Matt Bowen today - one of the most astute football analysts on the planet.

Nope. It's a tard marathon of who can post the most gifs.

Why not just call it 'cool gifs' or something and everyone can just post gifs all day long. You could even start polls of 'bro with the coolest gif post of the day'.

That would inspire another cool gif...and it will go on from there.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yes there are a lot of questions. But in years past we did have more answers. For instance: Do the Bears have a legitimate #1 WR. Or even a legit #2? Who is going to be the OC? Who is going to be the starting QB? Will a o-lineman draft pick ever work out? Who is going to be on the o-line? I remember those questions. I remember the Bears being thin at other positions before.

The Bears were spoiled with Hester as a returner. No other team had that threat for so many years. So, no, the return game isn't going to be as good as the Hester years; it may never be as good as the Hester years.

The sky is not falling.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Seriously, tell me why I (or anyone for that matter) bothers with this site. Is it a bar stool type discussion of sports? Every bit I just brought up was discussed by Matt Bowen today - one of the most astute football analysts on the planet.

Why not just call it 'cool gifs' or something and everyone can just post gifs all day long. You could even start polls of 'bro with the coolest gif post of the day'.

There is exactly one gif in this thread so far...

BringBackDitka54

Liked Posts:
We have a lot of question marks, but we used to have a lot more important question marks. For example, who would be our starting quarterback, Rex or Kyle (or maybe even Griese). Who will be our receivers? Hester, Rashied Davis, and Johnny Knox? Will Ja'Marcus Webb play LT or RT?

-Right now, every position on offense is pretty stellar, except maybe RT.

-Our entire defensive line seems to be set.

-Cornerback is one of our strongest positions, with three guys that could all start on most other teams imo.

-LBs are weak, but we have a lot of youth there, which is promising for the future.

-Safeties are also weak, but I think they'll be a lot better than people are expecting. My thinking for this comes from the 2012 season, when our safeties had a pretty good year. This was due to the 2012 defensive line being pretty dang good. If the 2014 defensive line can create pressure on the quarterback, which isn't unrealistic to ask for, than the safeties will look that much better.

da_bears6

Liked Posts:
Yes.

Last year. Actually just about every year for the Bears.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Ok, so we had last year's offensive line and, pre B Marsh and Alshon, the WR corps every year, but frankly, I don't recall a season with THIS many questions marks 6 days away from the opener. Let's play:

- Long Snapper - yes, Mannelly was a staple for 100 years, but think about it. The long snapper was signed on Saturday. After he'd been cut by the Bears already and Tampa. The guy they thought was the guy was released 8 days before the opener. With a new holder, I can see this being a problem. Robbie Gould hasn't looked great in pre-season. Having a new snapper and new holder could be the difference between a successful game tying/game winning field goal. I predict a game in which that will translate to a Bears loss.

- KR/PR - the Bears did not have a PR until a few days ago. A guy who was on the couch now has that job based on one - one - decent return against one of the doormats of the NFL. That's a major concern. The Bears brought in and tried a number of guys. None of them won the job (save for Holmes). At this point, I'm hoping for fair catches and that's all. Same for KR. A guy who very few thought would even make the 53 is now the #1 return man.

- ST - a mess all over. Yes, ST sucked last year. 8 of the 11 players are gone. Normally I'd think that's a good thing. I think they replaced shit with worse shit. Eric Weems sucked as a return man, but was quite good on coverage. As was Sherrick McManus (will see less ST time). Constanzo was decent. Jerry Franklin is gone. I simply don't feel great about this unit. Why should I?

- TE - Zach Miller going down hurt. Yes, he had one game, but it was a great one. Rosario is a guy. Mulligan is a nobody. I see two guys who are backups. Not guys who can run two TE sets.

- Safety - ah, safety. They chose not to address that clear need until the 4th round. Vereen had an opportunity to shine and apparently he didn't. One of the best ever (Wilson) was brought in but he doesn't have anything left. Mundy is a guy. Just a guy. Danny McCray was brought in as a core ST guy and is now listed as the starter. Conte was the guy everyone on Earth wanted gone and unfortunately, may be the best option at his position.

I won't say backup QB because most backup QBs suck. Claussen has started games and has some experience and seems to have command of the offense. I'm ok with him.

These bits make me very nervous are most likely the reason we are looking an 8-8 team in a difficult division and VERY tough NFC.

It is going to be very tough because you have doubts about special teams and backups? The questionmarks on safety I get, but the rest of your gripes surround players that wont see more than ten snaps a game

Nick80

I don't see why TE is on this list to begin with considering the team have the same guy coming back to back up MB from last season. As for Mulligan, who knows, perhaps he gets cut in favour of a Safety, which would then add to the four safeties on the roster and create more competition if nothing else.

As for the back up QB, similar to last season with Josh, and as fans we all know how that turned out. Lightening striking twice doesn't happen does it? It's a concern, like it is for a large % of the NFL. Hopefully Fales can be developed, something like Ryan Nassib in New York. (just using him as an example, I am sure there are better ones to use)

ST is a problem, a lot of turn over from one season to the next, but can the current bunch do any worse than last years? The answer is of course, maybe, but as I posted in another thread, some teams struggle to find a long snapper, and as fans we have all witnessed the problems it can cause. Thing is, the Patriots, yes them with senior grumpy in charge have had a similar problem to the Bears, it happens to the best of them and it'll be a case of putting your faith in DeCamillis, however hard that may be to get our heads round as a fan base.

All valid points you bring up, and I am sure the level headed amongst us have similar concerns. Guess we shall see.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Yes but it was on offense

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
No, I don't. And I was going to start a post saying the same thing yesterday, just decided not to.

Of course, you are going to be attacked by people saying that Angelo went into seasons without offensive linemen. Which isn't true. He kept drafting offensive linemen, and either they were hurt already, or got hurt immediately, and then we starting shifting the offensive line around and shit. This happened every year. The most important thing to an offensive line is continuity and playing together and trusting each other. That never had a chance to develop.

We have question marks, I think that people don't care that much, because they are not fantasy league type question marks, which is the mental aptitude of the world today in football.

So what you are saying is that even with Angelo's drafts there were question marks? Thanks! Point being there were plenty of question marks during that era as there are now

FireFox

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Your rant reminds me of this..
tumblr_m28diiVT8L1rsetzlo1_400.gif

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Focus: The question was "Anyone Recall THIS Many Question Marks Going Into a Season? "

The answer is absolutely yes. I had more questions going into 2002. (4-12)

Are there questions for this season? That's not what you asked, but yes, there are always questions. Now calm the fuck down and enjoy a GIF.

tumblr_n5aol3Y0RQ1qio3r9o1_250.gif

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

you-mad-bro-.jpg