Anyone Recall THIS Many Question Marks Going Into a Season?

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
For those of you concerned with the quality of football discussion on this forum: understand that starting a thread with a premise this dumb doesnt really help.
It wasn't that dumb of a premise. I think the quality of football discussion is fine, just not for the meatwad potatoes that can't lol once in a while. But I have empathy for what you are posting here, no doubt.

BRB, trying to figure out how to delete my account...

MacBear

Liked Posts:
It wasn't that dumb of a premise. I think the quality of football discussion is fine, just not for the meatwad potatoes that can't lol once in a while. But I have empathy for what you are posting here, no doubt.

BRB, trying to figure out how to delete my account...
I think its pretty dumb. To imply that there are more question marks on this team now than there have been in the last 28 (try 5) years is absurd. We have been way worse and everyone who follows this team knows that.

And for the record im not upset at all with the quality of discussion here. Im just calling out those who post something dumb and then proceed to bitch about the quality of football talk later in that same thread (OP)

Trump32

Liked Posts:
I seem to remember approximately 11 ? on offense every year of my life, save for maybe 1.5 seasons.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
It wasn't that dumb of a premise.

It's right up there. Anyone that's been a Bears fan for more than a minute has seen much worse. This actually looks like one of the more complete Bears teams in recent history, I mean an O-line and a potential D-line! Last seasons team (huge O-line questions) looked more flawed at this point. So, yeah, it's a dumb premise.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
T0At8Ed.gif

Reactions: WCL

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Many are predicting the Bears to win double-digit games and/or make the playoffs.

I think the OP must not remember the many, many, many years where everyone (the media. Bears, fans, etc.) knew the team wasn't going anywhere for several years and would not even sniff the playoffs---5-11 and 6-10 years with quarterbacks named Shane Matthews, Cade McNown, Rick Mirer, etc.

Our one bright spot was a Curtis Conway or even a Marty Booker.

Fuck those years. I'd take this one over any of those.

Trump32

Liked Posts:
Anyone recall a season with so many !!! on offense?

AHSIllini32

Liked Posts:
I agree with AHSIllini32. If the site doesn't want gifs it can exclude them down the line. Mostly I am here to get the perspective of other Bears fans. I live in Arizona and thus have to depend on online material. We know the Chicago Tribune is in trouble when they cannot muster up sufficient advertising dollars to cover the articles by very ordinary writers. Just as good of stuff right here from the fans.

I'm not sure you meant to say you agree with me. Either that or you are confused with what I said.

MaoTenDoo

Rabid Homer
Donator
Liked Posts:
...Our one bright spot was a Curtis Conway or even a Marty Booker.

Fuck those years. I'd take this one over any of those.

Hey, I liked Conway! I'll never forget that pooched TD pass he threw vs Miami.

To the OP, here's our recipe for success:
1. KR/PR must only make fair catches. Please, please just take a knee.
2. Kickoffs/punts must only go into the end zone. Screw that angled shit...I don't trust our tackling.
3. D must be average.

When Trestman's O is clicking, nothing can stop them. As a lifelong Bears fan, I don't ever remember being so excited to watch our Offense on the field.

Keep calm & Bear down.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Mooch just picked the Bears to make it to the playoffs on the NFL Network

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Hey, I liked Conway! I'll never forget that pooched TD pass he threw vs Miami.

To the OP, here's our recipe for success:
1. KR/PR must only make fair catches. Please, please just take a knee.
2. Kickoffs/punts must only go into the end zone. Screw that angled shit...I don't trust our tackling.
3. D must be average.

When Trestman's O is clicking, nothing can stop them. As a lifelong Bears fan, I don't ever remember being so excited to watch our Offense on the field.

Keep calm & Bear down.

I liked Conway too. Good player.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish

Michael Irvin just predicted Jay for MVP on NFLN. He took some shit for it.

AHSIllini32

Liked Posts:

Then to no ones surprise Sapp said the Bears wouldn't make it and replaced them (mooch took out the Panthers for the Bears) with the Bucs.

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ok, so we had last year's offensive line and, pre B Marsh and Alshon, the WR corps every year, but frankly, I don't recall a season with THIS many questions marks 6 days away from the opener. Let's play:

- Long Snapper - yes, Mannelly was a staple for 100 years, but think about it. The long snapper was signed on Saturday. After he'd been cut by the Bears already and Tampa. The guy they thought was the guy was released 8 days before the opener. With a new holder, I can see this being a problem. Robbie Gould hasn't looked great in pre-season. Having a new snapper and new holder could be the difference between a successful game tying/game winning field goal. I predict a game in which that will translate to a Bears loss.

- KR/PR - the Bears did not have a PR until a few days ago. A guy who was on the couch now has that job based on one - one - decent return against one of the doormats of the NFL. That's a major concern. The Bears brought in and tried a number of guys. None of them won the job (save for Holmes). At this point, I'm hoping for fair catches and that's all. Same for KR. A guy who very few thought would even make the 53 is now the #1 return man.

- ST - a mess all over. Yes, ST sucked last year. 8 of the 11 players are gone. Normally I'd think that's a good thing. I think they replaced shit with worse shit. Eric Weems sucked as a return man, but was quite good on coverage. As was Sherrick McManus (will see less ST time). Constanzo was decent. Jerry Franklin is gone. I simply don't feel great about this unit. Why should I?

- TE - Zach Miller going down hurt. Yes, he had one game, but it was a great one. Rosario is a guy. Mulligan is a nobody. I see two guys who are backups. Not guys who can run two TE sets.

- Safety - ah, safety. They chose not to address that clear need until the 4th round. Vereen had an opportunity to shine and apparently he didn't. One of the best ever (Wilson) was brought in but he doesn't have anything left. Mundy is a guy. Just a guy. Danny McCray was brought in as a core ST guy and is now listed as the starter. Conte was the guy everyone on Earth wanted gone and unfortunately, may be the best option at his position.

I won't say backup QB because most backup QBs suck. Claussen has started games and has some experience and seems to have command of the offense. I'm ok with him.

These bits make me very nervous are most likely the reason we are looking an 8-8 team in a difficult division and VERY tough NFC.
do u remember the 90's?

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
No, I don't think there have ever been this many questions going in to a season. In previous seasons we didn't have to wonder about backup tight ends or long snappers, it was just this:

Q: Will the offense be horrible?
A: Well, we've made a lot of progress in the offsea--- oh who the hell am I kidding. Yes.

Sometimes questions are better than answers.

WCL

Organ Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Grantland, too.

[video=youtube_share;ejW8PexFHbQ]http://youtu.be/ejW8PexFHbQ[/video]