Anyone else think Russell Wilson is overrated?

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
This is the same kind of criticism Kaepernick gets too, but it's not deserved, imo. RW takes care of the ball, makes smart decisions and efficient throws. He does what's required of him to win. Why would you want to air it out for 300 yards every game when you don't have to? If you aren't hurting your team by turning the ball over or stalling drives with poor throws, there's nothing wrong with throwing only when necessary.

Quality over quantity.

This but some do overrate Kaepernick. He's certainly a VG QB but not the next coming. Wilson just gets better and is better from a pocket that many like myself expected when he got into the league.

Don't Care

CCS Jesus
Liked Posts:
The real question is: what should Seattle be willing to pay Wilson? At what point do they tell him to walk and try their chances with either a QB fresh from the draft or an FA QB? Not many clubs have the cajones to walk away from a QB that they've been winning with, but in Seattle's case their salary cap is going to be a disaster come next season.

With (presumably) 2 SB wins, Wilson is going to command a lot of money in FA. He could decide to give a home team discount, which would be nice for the Seahawks but who can say? A lot of it is going to come down to what QBs are available in the draft and in FA, and whether Carroll thinks he can work with those guys instead.

One thing is for sure: the Ravens were nuts to pay Flacco what they did after their SB win. They guaranteed mediocrity for themselves for the next decade or so by tying up so much salary cap in a mediocre QB.

mecha

Liked Posts:
Wilson's receivers are almost all like 5'11. I really want to call the dude overrated, but that whole team clicks. not just him, or beast mode, or the defense, the entire team.

used to think the Patriots were the standard of the world for football orgs, but I think the Seahawks might be doing it better. you'll know when they win the Super Bowl 2 more times. :p

RisWell

Liked Posts:
This but some do overrate Kaepernick. He's certainly a VG QB but not the next coming. Wilson just gets better and is better from a pocket that many like myself expected when he got into the league.
I live in 9er country and they talk shit about Kap when it comes to passing.

RisWell

Liked Posts:
Wilson's receivers are almost all like 5'11. I really want to call the dude overrated, but that whole team clicks. not just him, or beast mode, or the defense, the entire team.

used to think the Patriots were the standard of the world for football orgs, but I think the Seahawks might be doing it better. you'll know when they win the Super Bowl 2 more times. :p
They prefer speed. They are all about the short passes.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
I am not saying he isn't a good player, but I would like to see how Wilson fares without the best defense in the league, a top tier running game and one of the best coaching staffs in the league.

A great defense and running back are a QB's best friends, and that is what RW has. Rw doesn't have to put the team on his back, he only throws the ball 25 times a game, one of the lowest in the league. 32nd ranked in the league in yards per game.

I watched him last night and I wasn't amazed by his play. Seattle had 177 yards on the ground between their running backs and harvin. That makes it much easier for a QB.

I don't think there is much hype around Wilson to begin with. He is a good player for the type of game they want to play in Seattle. I'm still not sold that he is the guy you want in the huddle if are down 7 points in the 4th quarter with 2 minutes to go, but he can still get there with time. The thing I'm most impressed about him is that from the very beginning he knew that taking care of the ball was the most important job as the QB. Most rookies or guys with a couple years of experience think they need to make something out of every play (see Jay Cutler for example). Turnovers kill a team every time.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I am not saying he isn't a good player, but I would like to see how Wilson fares without the best defense in the league, a top tier running game and one of the best coaching staffs in the league.

A great defense and running back are a QB's best friends, and that is what RW has. Rw doesn't have to put the team on his back, he only throws the ball 25 times a game, one of the lowest in the league. 32nd ranked in the league in yards per game.

I watched him last night and I wasn't amazed by his play. Seattle had 177 yards on the ground between their running backs and harvin. That makes it much easier for a QB.

Anyone else think Russell Wilson is overrated?

ABSOLUTELY NOT !!!

RW works his ass off. He was NEVER given a chance ( by the pre-draft pundits) as a NFL Qb. Many, including PPL. from the old CBMB, said RW would never make it as a NFL Qb. Some said he would have to change positions. Many said he was too short. Others said he didn't have mental capability to digest a NFL play book However, RW proved all these idiots WRONG.

IMO, RW is one of the best QB's in the NFL. This guy is constantly in the film room. I read where he gives his wr's a self-published, scouting report on the opposing DB's of Seattle will face every game ( based on his film study).

RW is very smart, makes good decisions with the football and does a helluva' job..... not turning the ball over in critical situations. RW does not hurt his team with mindless turnovers. Plus, if the play isn't there, he has the ability to buy time for his wr's. He has excellent play-making skills.

RW is also the ONLY QB to post a 100+ QBR in his first 2 years in the NFL. YES, The guy deserves any and all accolades bestowed upon him. When Seattle needs a play, RW delivers, NO EXCUSES.

Keep this in mind, RW has average-at-best wr's (Percy Havin was injured the majority of the 2013 season). Has RW complained about his wr's, absolutely not. The guy just goes out on the field with the 'cards his dealt', shows total LEADERSHIP and helps his team win games.

So bottom line, RW IS NOT "overrated". If anything, he's under-rated.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
The thing about Wilson is he is not really a conventional QB. I don't think you can just plug him in and play. His coaches are incorporating a LOT of college stuff that is working. Work with what you got and be happy. Tell you what, if the Bears had the Seahawks defense we would be prohibitive favorites.

Wilson is he is not really a conventional QB

LOL....this is the kinda' stuff the pre-draft pundits were saying about RW.

Fact is he very good in and out of the pocket. The majority of Seattle's play or not "a LOT of college stuff ". Plus, he has one of the quickest releases in the game. He doesn't hold the ball. He processes info. / reads...... "D" quickly and delivers the football.

mecha

Liked Posts:
maybe I'm biased after how they leveled the Pack last night, but I think I "get" this team now. gonna suck for them when everyone wants to get paid, though.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I don't think he's limited at all. That offense incorporated a lot of his running abilities and getting into space. Let's
put it another way. Do you think Wilson would thrive playing under Mike Martz and Mike Tice and some of the past offensive personnel Cutler endured?

I think RW has the smarts, determination, leadership ability, mental toughness and motivation to overcome a lot of things the avg. Qb wouldn't.

In other words, RW is so damn committed to being the best and being a winner, that it wouldn't matter who coached him or what "O" personnel he had. Heck right now, minus Havin, he has very avg. wr's.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
This is the same kind of criticism Kaepernick gets too, but it's not deserved, imo. RW takes care of the ball, makes smart decisions and efficient throws. He does what's required of him to win. Why would you want to air it out for 300 yards every game when you don't have to? If you aren't hurting your team by turning the ball over or stalling drives with poor throws, there's nothing wrong with throwing only when necessary.

Quality over quantity.

EXACTLY

See what some PPL. keep forgetting......it's NOT ABOUT personal stats, i.e. passing yrds. TD's, various %'s . It's about doing what it takes for a team to win.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
As much as I hate to say it, no, I don't think he's overated. I was hoping he would drop somewhere to the Bears in the draft. He was REALLY good his year at Wisconsin, I was incredibly impressed.

I wanted so badly for us to get this kid. However, many at the old CBMB were busy telling me how nuts I was at the time and how RW would never be a NFL QB.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
It's kind of hard to say when your defense only gives up 14 points a game and you got a beast running game. But to answer the ? Yes Wilson is overrated so is Kap.

what did the beast do in the SB????

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Depends on how you want to evaluate him.

There are typical QB measures that he's not high on, but when you ask whether or not he does what his offense needs him to do, the answer always seems to be yes.
Very few mistakes ... and methodically, if not spectacularly, move the ball down the field.

Depends on how you want to evaluate him.

There are typical QB measures that he's not high on

So what does being the 1st Qb in history to post back to back 100+ passer ratings in his first 2 seasons mean?

AustinIllini

Lifetime of futility
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Seattle Sounders FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Dallas Stars
He is certainly not overrated. However, if he wins another Super Bowl by contract time, he may become a special kind of overpaid.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Let it go. You could have been wrong, 32 GMs were, including Seattle. If any of them expected more, he would have been taken before 3. You were right but if Seattle had Jay, they'd have passed as well. Doesn't your shoulder hurt from patting yourself on the back so often about Wilson?

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
No, Wilson is not overrated at all. However, he is definitely in the lucky QB club in that he has coaches who are good enough to build an offense that maximizes his talent Some of those was playcalls yesterday were sooooo easy it was ridiculous. It will be interesting how his play progresses when he gets the big deal and Coach Bevel ultimately leaves.

Welcome to what keeps NFL coaches employed. You don't do the above mentioned tasks consistently, you'll be out of a job.