Bulls contacted Ray Allen

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bulls are reportedly gauging interest in Ray Allen.

If Allen signed with the Bulls, it's easy to put them as Eastern Conference favorites. He is not a star anymore, but he is a perfect fit with the Bulls.

"Old" Ray >>> "Old" Rip in terms of just about everything measurable. Ray's three-point shooting and ability to score without the ball in his hands is exactly what the Bulls need. He isn't a great defender, but the Bulls already have that. He complements the roster as it exists right now. And he knows how to play in Thib's defense.

Their depth would be good enough that they would nearly have a Thibs-proof team. He can play Butler 48 minutes per game and run Pau or Noah into the ground and still have an entire bench full of starting caliber players come playoff time.

1st unit:

-Rose
-Allen
-Butler
-Gasol
-Noah

2nd unit:

-Brooks/Hinrich
-Dunleavy/Snell
-McDermott
-Mirotic
-Gibson

Last edited:

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
Something tells me he will wind up with the Spurs but that would be awesome if he decided to play in Chicago.

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
In Chicago, he would have a bigger role than in San Antonio (who already has Manu and Danny Green), or with the Clippers (have Redick and Crawford), or Washington (already have Bradley Beal), or Cleveland (Waiters and Mike Miller).

ChettheJet

Liked Posts:
http://www.thescore.com/nba/news/572782

There's a long line of teams who have contacted Allen. But it's the smart move. No team can or will offer him substantially more money, that's not his issue after 18 years. He has to be looking for a team where he can fill that limited role and have a chance to win a championship. The Bulls offer him as much as anybody, he would get the minutes behind Butler, wouldn't have start and play heavy minutes or go in with a lopsided score for mop up minutes, if he's hot he could be the guy to take the last shot, he knows Thibs.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Honestly though, if he did want to start, he could probably win it out over Dunleavy. Even at 39 he's a bigger threat as a shooter than Dunleavy is...or at least arguably so. Either way, he'd be a huge asset to have on the floor with DRose and we could offer him a good chunk of minutes. My gut tells me he's probably not going anywhere except Cleveland or maybe SA if he doesn't retire...they have the best chances at a title.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
I don't think he would start. And it has nothing to do with skill level, but more of fitting players in a rotation and keeping older guys fresh for the playoffs. Hell, I don't know if he would play a whole lot until it mattered.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't think he would start. And it has nothing to do with skill level, but more of fitting players in a rotation and keeping older guys fresh for the playoffs. Hell, I don't know if he would play a whole lot until it mattered.
Yeah at this point I don't think it's something he necessarily wants, but if he did he'd have a good chance imo. If it was one of those things where offering him that big of a role would be what pushed him to come here over Cleveland or wherever, that's worth it to me. Keeping him healthy should be priority so that we have him when it counts of course, but who knows with Thibs.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Also, maybe he would like to get into coaching, and take a Lindsay Hunter role?

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
At least the Bulls are in on him. That's a start. Would love to have him in Chicago.

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I think Allen would be one of the best players on the team. What the Bulls lack more than anything is a player capable of playing the traditional role of shooting guard. That is why I think Ray would get his minutes (anywhere from 20-28 on a nightly basis). I think Ray Allen would be most effective on the Bulls next to Rose (needs to control the ball) and Butler (limited offense but complements Allen with defense).

I can't tell you who would start. I do think it matters much more who finishes. Butler can definitely be effective as an NBA SF. Can't imagine Thibs electing to sit Butler and Allen in key moments down the stretch.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I bet Allen can create his own shot better than everyone else on the roster not named Rose

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
At this point..probably Rose too.
Zooey-Deschanel-Sad-Agreement.gif

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Rose is a god. You will all soon remember.

Secondly, Ray Allen is the second greatest three point shooter ever. I give Reggie Miller the edge for degree of difficulty of shots. Curry probably earns the right to pass both of them in numbers and bragging rights eventually, needs some playoffs and big memories, but shot difficulty high at times.

Allen was a great player, but imo, he would be the 4th best three point shooter on the Bulls today, and his body is about to collapse under him. It isn't a great move, or a terrible one.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
I bet Allen can create his own shot better than everyone else on the roster not named Rose

Doug could possibly be better at this point

Ray isnt much of a creator anymore

but im on board to bring Ray on...i mean for the vet min even if father time knocks Ray on his ass its not a big loss

if hes still productive then we could use his clutchness at the end of games

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:
Allen was a great player, but imo, he would be the 4th best three point shooter on the Bulls today, and his body is about to collapse under him. It isn't a great move, or a terrible one.

The bold is completely false. Ray Allen is the fittest player in the NBA. Period. The shape he is in, he could play for another 4 years I bet. If he was so washed up, half the league wouldn't be vying for his services. Health is not going to be an issue with him. Shooting has been the biggest weakness on this team for years now. Adding one of the best shooters of all time would be A GREAT MOVE.