Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
Pass on Shark. Good pitcher but a free agent at age 31? He's going to want a lot of years and a lot of money, I don't think the Sox want to go that route.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Pass on Shark. Good pitcher but a free agent at age 31? He's going to want a lot of years and a lot of money, I don't think the Sox want to go that route.
I think shark wants to taste winning and a chance to win it all.. I see him going to a top contender that offers the best deal.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
A's and Brewers are in heaps of trouble, weak farm systems now and small markets that can't really utilize FA

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I disagree.

Cespedes is an everyday player who can hit and field. The A's traded one of their best position players for a SP rental they didn't need. What they needed was more offense.

Hindsight is wonderful, isn't it?

Their offense was scoring a ton of runs at the time they made the trade.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
With cespedes ????

The comment I replied to said "At the time of the (cespedes) trade, what they needed was more offense."

They did not need more offense at that time.

Yes, their offense at that time was 'with Cespedes". (Whose numbers weren't exactly overwhelming). And the loss of Cespedes has had a huge impact on their offense. Much more than expected.

But I was replying to the comment that the A's should have been adding offense at the time they traded for pitching. That wasn't the case and is based totally on hindsight.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
The comment I replied to said "At the time of the (cespedes) trade, what they needed was more offense."

Yes, their offense at that time was 'with Cespedes". (Whose numbers weren't exactly overwhelming). And the loss of Cespedes has had a huge impact on their offense. Much more than expected.

But I was replying to the comment that the A's should have been adding offense at the time they traded for pitching. That wasn't the case and is based totally on hindsight.

Ok I misunderstood...

I think beane panicked after seeing Hammel got off to a rough start, and trading cespedes if anything may have messed with the offensive chemistry amongst teammates/friends

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
I didn't understand the Lester trade then, and I really don't now. In a playoff series you only use 3-4 SP, so I didn't understand the urge to add Lester when they already had 4 solid guys going. Sure Hammel was struggling but he likely wouldn't have been pitching in the rotation come October anyways.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I didn't understand the Lester trade then, and I really don't now. In a playoff series you only use 3-4 SP, so I didn't understand the urge to add Lester when they already had 4 solid guys going. Sure Hammel was struggling but he likely wouldn't have been pitching in the rotation come October anyways.

They had Sonny Gray, Scott Kazmir and Shark. And you didn't understand why they went after a guy with TOR stuff and playoff experience?

They see this year as a window of opportunity. 16 years without winning a playoff series, and thy reached for the brass ring. It doesn't look like it will work out, but I don't blame them.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Ok I misunderstood...

I think beane panicked after seeing Hammel got off to a rough start, and trading cespedes if anything may have messed with the offensive chemistry amongst teammates/friends

Well, I know Cespedes is pretty good, but I certainly never thought he had such a huge impact on their lineup. I don't think he panicked in reaction to Hammels, but I am sure he didn't foresee such a fall off on offense either.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
They had Sonny Gray, Scott Kazmir and Shark. And you didn't understand why they went after a guy with TOR stuff and playoff experience?

They see this year as a window of opportunity. 16 years without winning a playoff series, and thy reached for the brass ring. It doesn't look like it will work out, but I don't blame them.

There was no need for them to add Shark and Lester. I can guarantee the Red Sox would have traded Lester for Russell.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:

Isn't that what Billy boy and all his high paid stat geeks are paid to do? Predict the unexpected.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
Big win for them today against the Mariners. I would like to see the A's make it in. Would make for a very interesting WC game if they played Detroit

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Big win for them today against the Mariners. I would like to see the A's make it in. Would make for a very interesting WC game if they played Detroit

If they can get in, and win the coin toss WC game, they've got a shot. They certainly have the pitching to get it done in the playoffs. Perhaps their luck changes and they enter the playoffs on a winning streak.

Status
Not open for further replies.