marshall press conference

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
One of my pet peeves is when activists bring up the fact that more blacks are incarcerated as a percentage of the population. As if their illegal exploits didn't matter just that society targets them.

wklink

CBMB refugee
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Seattle Sounders FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I find it funny how the people who claim to have compassion and an ability to reason and understand... Are the first to get emotionally distraught and demand a punishment that lacks any thoughtful reasoning or compassion and will never understand any other way of thinking...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a difference between compassion and permissiveness. At what point does someone have to take responsibility for their own actions? After a death? After several deaths? After the deaths of millions? Should we just say 'Ok, all is forgiven' if the person expresses remorse? What kind of society would anyone have if there were no consequences for bad behavior.

We aren't talking about Ray Rice getting caught with an ounce of weed or saying stupid things in public. He knocked his wife out completely. He then drug her unconcious body out of an elevator.

According to your logic there is no real right or wrong. I don't need to understand how someone thinks to come to the conclusion that KNOCKING YOUR FIANCE OUT IN AN ELEVATOR IS WRONG!. I don't need to look at someone's race, or upbringing or the inherent unfairness of life to understand that whipping a child so hard that the whipping marks are still present on the kids legs a week later IS WRONG.

Using your thought pattern lets everyone off the hook. Even the racist scumbags that strung up blacks after the Civil War were products of their upbringing and education. Should the be 'understood' and allowed no penalty for their crimes? Even if they did get away with it, does that make it right? The authorities in the south that turned dogs and firehoses on the Freedomriders, does that make what they did less immoral? Brandon Marshall today admits that if he was doing now what he did back then he would be kicked out of the league. He was fined and suspended back then, at a level appropriate for his behavior.

I hate this whole 'walk a mile in my shoes' bullshit. It is just another way for people to try to justify doing things that they know in their hearts is wrong. You can talk all about how we should understand their circumstances but that only goes so far. Upbringing and social experiences may help people to understand WHY someone does something but it doesn't every justify it.

If it did then there would be no law in this country and without accountability there would be no society. It would be a new dark ages, no law, no morality and no consequences for anything you do. Do you really want that?

Last edited:

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
He couldn't control it at the time? I call bullshit. I can make an opposing argument that if there wasn't the possibility of him losing his NFL career and ending up in prison, he would still be beating the fuck out of his girlfriends/wife.

What I would say to some of these NFL players acting like dipshits, "Know what the consequences are before you do something like the rest of us do. If you know the consequences and you still do it then you are truly a fucking idiot."

I can make an argument that you don't understand his mental disorder...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Living proof that people need therapy and counseling instead of constantly sending every person who does something stupid to jail...

Jailing people never solves problems, in fact it creates more problems... And it makes adults rebel against the system that is supposed to reform them, in the end the mark it leaves ultimately destroys their lives...

Jail starts a war between the person put in it and the people who jailed him and the system that they work for...

Which is why a majority of the black community will not communicate with police or prosecutors...

If more people were given a second chance through counselling therapy while electronically monitored and under supervision we could possibly see more communication from the black community and other racially profiled minorities that end up in the system...

This man might have been jailed and had his entire livelihood taken away all because before we could understand the problems he had mentally we would have demanded he be punished for something he couldn't control at the time because he didn't know how...

This message does not pertain to murderers, rapists, or violent criminals who use premeditation in their crimes to commit violent acts against others...

I expect people to understand the difference...

Agreed on all counts, but none of it matters. The private prison industry, like so many other things these days, is just another example of government and corporations teaming up to funnel as much wealth from regular people to the wealthy and powerful few as possible. That's ALL that matters.

Point of note though - I would include people who commit violence against women and children as violent criminals.

Last edited:

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
This message does not pertain to murderers, rapists, or violent criminals who use premeditation in their crimes to commit violent acts against others...

Cool.

So only guys who bash their wives faces in can be reformed.

Got it.

Trump32

Liked Posts:
There is a difference between compassion and permissiveness. At what point does someone have to take responsibility for their own actions? After a death? After several deaths? After the deaths of millions? Should we just say 'Ok, all is forgiven' if the person expresses remorse? What kind of society would anyone have if there were no consequences for bad behavior.

We aren't talking about Ray Rice getting caught with an ounce of weed or saying stupid things in public. He knocked his wife out completely. He then drug her unconcious body out of an elevator.

According to your logic there is no real right or wrong. I don't need to understand how someone thinks to come to the conclusion that KNOCKING YOUR FIANCE OUT IN AN ELEVATOR IS WRONG!. I don't need to look at someone's race, or upbringing or the inherent unfairness of life to understand that whipping a child so hard that the whipping marks are still present on the kids legs a week later IS WRONG.

Using your thought pattern lets everyone off the hook. Even the racist scumbags that strung up blacks after the Civil War were products of their upbringing and education. Should the be 'understood' and allowed no penalty for their crimes? Even if they did get away with it, does that make it right? The authorities in the south that turned dogs and firehoses on the Freedomriders, does that make what they did less immoral? Brandon Marshall today admits that if he was doing now what he did back then he would be kicked out of the league. He was fined and suspended back then, at a level appropriate for his behavior.

I hate this whole 'walk a mile in my shoes' bullshit. It is just another way for people to try to justify doing things that they know in their hearts is wrong. You can talk all about how we should understand their circumstances but that only goes so far. Upbringing and social experiences may help people to understand WHY someone does something but it doesn't every justify it.

If it did then there would be no law in this country and without accountability there would be no society. It would be a new dark ages, no law, no morality and no consequences for anything you do. Do you really want that?

That's a pretty long rant, but unfortunately it has nothing at all to do with his post. You might want to read the post you are replying to before vomiting words.

Do you hear voices?

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Lol. Which is why america is so rich, because we have the highest % of people in jail.

That doesn't make America rich, it makes a few executives rich. You still pay for it.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Lol. Which is why america is so rich, because we have the highest % of people in jail.

And most of those are for minor, nonviolent drug-related offenses. Thank you War on Drugs!

bionicbelly

Liked Posts:
One of my pet peeves is when activists bring up the fact that more blacks are incarcerated as a percentage of the population. As if their illegal exploits didn't matter just that society targets them.

Well, then you are an idiot. It is true, they are getting locked up for stuff they did wrong (most of the time), the major difference is that there are no second chances. I am speaking from alot of experience as a "rehabilitated" asshat, I had SEVERAL chances to stay out of prison, but because I was an asshat, ended up there anyway. Because I am white. Black kid from my town doing the same shit goes on his first arrest. If you don't think it happens, you choose not to. (This is not even accounting for the higher densities of patrols in black neighborhoods, and so many other factors.)

Jester

White Guy
Liked Posts:
Well, then you are an idiot. It is true, they are getting locked up for stuff they did wrong (most of the time), the major difference is that there are no second chances. I am speaking from alot of experience as a "rehabilitated" asshat, I had SEVERAL chances to stay out of prison, but because I was an asshat, ended up there anyway. Because I am white. Black kid from my town doing the same shit goes on his first arrest. If you don't think it happens, you choose not to. (This is not even accounting for the higher densities of patrols in black neighborhoods, and so many other factors.)

Cop and Judge prolly just thought it was the same guy is all. They all look the same, right?

bionicbelly

Liked Posts:
Jailing people never solves problems, in fact it creates more problems... And it makes adults rebel against the system that is supposed to reform them, in the end the mark it leaves ultimately destroys their lives...

Not always true. Worked for me. -Former dumbass, and current contributing member of society. I agree 100% that second chances thing should always happen for people for most offenses, (obviously not the ones that your message does not pertain to) and that are are huge problems with the system that need fixed.

wklink

CBMB refugee
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Seattle Sounders FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That's a pretty long rant, but unfortunately it has nothing at all to do with his post. You might want to read the post you are replying to before vomiting words.

Do you hear voices?

I read it. We need to understand what Ray Rice did and get him counselling. Not judge him because of how he grew up. I don't have a problem with counselling or whatever but there needs to be punishment for crimes. This is available in prison now, has been for decades. College training, job training, detox courses and a wide variety of other support systems have been put into place to help people convicted of crimes break that cycle but the cycle won't be broken as long as the core culture in the inner city is changes.

Ultimately what he is saying is the same crap that has been said by the myriad of liberal activists for decades, that criminal activity can be treated and that punishment just creates more problems. I call bullshit on that.

jc456

Liked Posts:
I do think we need to allow due process and rehabilitation, unlike many people. It seems a lot of people want an immediate termination and lifelong suspension and more.

Doesn't Brandon Marshall prove, though, that rehabilitation (through medication, therapy, etc.) can indeed work?

That's why I'm not a huge fan of the "just suspend him and hang him" crowd. If that makes me soft on crime, that's fine.

Yes it can work, but it is up to the individual and only the individual. If you think it works all the time then you're fooling yourself.

Naptastic

Liked Posts:
That doesn't make America rich, it makes a few executives rich. You still pay for it.
What executives?? You realize that taxes pay for jails, and its ridiculously expensive.

beardownboilerup85

Liked Posts:
he is talking about how espn got his story wrong and is asking for an apology, the attorney that's trying to bring up the old charges. mentioned that he lost $50 million in endorsement back in the day because of the charges

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
he takes responsibility for what he did. ESPN lied about the story they were running. He agrees with some things Allred has said and some he doesn't.........

bottom line is he thinks ESPN misrepresented the info and he has presented information to the the press which will be out soon I would imagine.

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
I don't understand why he's even talking. He's rambling on. This isn't a good look for him.

Jester

White Guy
Liked Posts:
Good, media outlets should be called out when they misrepresent information or lie. They should also be fined for it, heavily, so we get some standards back in journalism. Right now journalists are as bad as Lawyers, Dentists, and Car Salesman. The trio of scumbags in business.