On Luring free agents.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
There have been a few on this board saying there is no reason for a free agent to come here. But the players do have a reason, they know the talent that is about to be up here:

"Rizzo has been hearing it from opposing players when they get to first base and start asking about Javier Baez, Jorge Soler and Kris Bryant.

“It’s just mostly in the division, because we play these guys so much,” Rizzo said. “They see us the last few years. Even last year, guys got on (and said): ‘You guys got talent here.’ It’s just about putting it all together.”

http://www.csnchicago.com/cubs/selling-cubs-future-anthony-rizzos-connection-jon-lester

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Well now they have a good product that can be sold.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
It becomes easier if they first have Bryant and Russell on the team.

You have to remember that the actions of the past few years has created this situation. The Cubs have chosen to tank a few seasons vs spend. They made their bed.

They are going to have to overspend. Or they have to be good first then add via trade then after becoming good look into it the following season.

My opinion is that they will have to over spend to get Lester. Max will get top $$$ and if they go that route I doubt too many teams will want to add $200 mil so that becomes a clear shot. Considering Jake and Kris are also rep from Boras it may be a good idea for Theo to start dealing with Scott early to set up future negotiations

chibears55

Liked Posts:
99.9 % of top FAs go to who offers the top money, and with money being close/equal most of them will choose the team with the best chance of winning..
while some of the older ones will choose years and for family reasons will choose a team that home or close to it as long as the offer is significant...

guys like scherzer and lester who are entering their prime will choose money and best team to win now, which is why unless the cubs offer a crazy amount, I just don't see a match here. cubs are at least 2 years away from competing for a division title let alone a world series with what they have on roster now and uncertainty of how their top young prospects will develop.

after a full year of baez, soler, Bryant, etc, next off season will be the time to nab some of these top FAs as their interest will be there if these kids show progress.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
It becomes easier if they first have Bryant and Russell on the team.

You have to remember that the actions of the past few years has created this situation. The Cubs have chosen to tank a few seasons vs spend. They made their bed.

They are going to have to overspend. Or they have to be good first then add via trade then after becoming good look into it the following season.

My opinion is that they will have to over spend to get Lester. Max will get top $$$ and if they go that route I doubt too many teams will want to add $200 mil so that becomes a clear shot. Considering Jake and Kris are also rep from Boras it may be a good idea for Theo to start dealing with Scott early to set up future negotiations

The payroll for their 8 position players will be ridiculously low. They have plenty of $. Yes, they will have to offer more - and perhaps much more- than their competition when recruiting free agents. But they certainly can.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
99.9 % of top FAs go to who offers the top money, and with money being close/equal most of them will choose the team with the best chance of winning..
while some of the older ones will choose years and for family reasons will choose a team that home or close to it as long as the offer is significant...

guys like scherzer and lester who are entering their prime will choose money and best team to win now, which is why unless the cubs offer a crazy amount, I just don't see a match here. cubs are at least 2 years away from competing for a division title let alone a world series with what they have on roster now and uncertainty of how their top young prospects will develop.

after a full year of baez, soler, Bryant, etc, next off season will be the time to nab some of these top FAs as their interest will be there if these kids show progress.

This is certainly a valid point, but what teams will offer Lester who can a) give him a ton of $, and b) are contenders?

Oakland offers (b), not (a).
What big money teams are contenders? LAD and LAA? Both very possible, but there's only so many spots in the rotation and only so much $.

Who else?

The Yankees weren't much closer to first than the Cubs were. The Mets need a lot, but not expensive pitching. The Red Sox? Lester won't go back there, but they are probably a serious contender for Scherzer.

The Cubs are no sure thing, but they offer as much as most teams out there.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
I would argue that the Cubs are closer to competing than the Red Sox or Yankees. Yankees will be in a better spot in 2015, but they won't be good enough to win anything and the Cubs certainly have the advantage beyond that

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would argue that the Cubs are closer to competing than the Red Sox or Yankees. Yankees will be in a better spot in 2015, but they won't be good enough to win anything and the Cubs certainly have the advantage beyond that

oh gawd

Sent from My 1998 Palm Pilot Using Tapatalk

Papa Wheelie

Liked Posts:
Yet everyone was questioning the Cubs big time this year until they started showing their talent and playing good ball. How did all the 'big name' teams do this year in the playoffs. It's going to be another long off season of people downplaying the Cubs until they realize that they are good next season. Pathetic.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
Selling free agents a near distant, potentially bright future wouldn't hurt. Some guys may be open to it.

Of course, money talks. Its the greatest motivator, unless you find that one in a million player that stays with his hometown team. You don't see that often though.

You aren't gonna get top free agents selling them on the future and asking them to take half of what other teams have. Got a weird feeling the cubs will botch a free agent signing like that. Though I think they make up for it and get an important one or two.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Please explain how the Yankees roster is better suited for the future in comparison to the Cubs

Who is most likely to do something to improve the team? That alone should answer why the Yankees are a better location.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
Who is most likely to do something to improve the team? That alone should answer why the Yankees are a better location.

Signing a bunch of players in their mid 30's doesn't make your future suddenly brighter. History is on your side, but let's wait to see how the Cubs play in FA this year.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Signing a bunch of players in their mid 30's doesn't make your future suddenly brighter. History is on your side, but let's wait to see how the Cubs play in FA this year.
U answered it

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:

Lester has already stated that it will be what's comfortable for his family so the Yankees do not have the upper hand over any team. Lester has two WS to his credit, and has some ties to players and personnel within the Cubs. Doesn't mean he will sign, it's more that nothing is certain.

And yes, the Yankees are reeling and looking very bad for the future. They and Philly are perfect examples of how money thrown at the problem is not the answer. Boston on the other hand has cut payroll, they have a farm also, so they are better positioned to turn it around quicker.

Not saying that the Yankees won't or can't be somewhat competitive, but with less players hitting free agency, and teams locking up younger players, they will resort to getting the 30 year old plus players versus the younger ones. Tanaka was a young free agent, and that is their only hope is to get young, international free agents to help offset the others, plus they can't keep trading away farm players.

The names of Texiera, A-Rod, Beltran. Elsbury, Prado, Sabathia and McCann are sexy, but McCann is the youngest of the bunch IIRC, and he will be 31 in February. Don't know how those everyday players are going to get better with age?

The recipe for the Yankees past success drastically needs to be rewritten and updated. It is growing stale. The Dodgers by bringing in Friedman, are way ahead of the game IMO.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
On pitching F/A:

Top tier:
Lester: Open game on him.
Scherzer: Predicting he resigns. Q-offer plus the commitment will back teams off.
Shields: Think he may take a lower offer to stay with the Royals. WS trip and a still young core is not a bad gig.

2nd tier:
Santana: resign. Braves have a need for retention and Q-offer tied into him.
Meada: Not sure if his team posts him. He should get the 20 mil max regardless so not sure why they would not but that is the rumblings.
McCarthy: I'd be surprised if he is not a Yank in 15.
Liriano: Surprised if the Pirates offer him the Q offer. I believe it is at 15 mil now and I can't see them doing that.
Masterson: I'm not sure if he is 2nd tier any more but he is listed as such. He could be a target if Bosio feels like he is fixable.
Peavy: Cards or staying with Giants.
Kuroda: Retire 90% 10% another Yank year.
Hammel: I see him targeting the Cubs but do the Cubs want to hook up?

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Is signing Lester and Liriano doable? And, if so, does that even make sense?

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Is signing Lester and Liriano doable? And, if so, does that even make sense?

I'd say yes to both.

Lester, Arrieta, Liriano, Hendricks, 5th start opening. That would be pretty decent and would increase the 2015 payroll by what, $40-43 million?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I would like to see them to go for Maeda and Lester with Hammel as a back up plan.