Last Year's Offense, What Happened

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think we all agreed before the season started that with last year's offense and average defense we kick ass this year. Defensive rankings right now at least average, overall maybe better than average.

Averages don't tell shit about this season because the ups and downs have been so extreme. Using the mean production doesn't tell you much about this year. Cutler for example has been having his best career ever on average. However in reality, he has been going between shitty games and amazing games. Same with the D, though not quite as extreme. Vacillating between ok games (with up to very good games from the DL) and shit games where they don't make a single stop the whole game.

This year has been so inconsistent that the stats don't tell the story at all.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Honest opinion

-Trestman has called some shit games and not adjusted at the half.

-Cutler has not taken the step up many of us expected.

-The Ol has been okay at best.

-Our WRs have been banged up and not really dominating the at they did before.

I would say only Forte and Bennett have really lived up to expectations.

Marty has disappeared a little. Why aren't we using him

BringBackDitka54

Liked Posts:
I think the McCown-Cutler debate has grown not only tiresome, but also useless. Firstly, McCown isn't even on the team anymore, he's a backup for the 1-5 Buccaneers. Secondly, Cutler doesn't really seem to be the answer either. Debating between Cutler/McCown is like debating which one's healthier, Fritos or Doritos. The sucky part is that we're stuck with Fritos for the next few years.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
These answers have all actually been pretty good. I think that this message board is at the perfect level today. Everybody was body slammed on Sunday and Sunday night through Wednesday was just too negative, like we will never win another game. Tonight is enjoyable, trying to look at our problems objectively and in humble fashion.

JDB_219

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think the McCown-Cutler debate has grown not only tiresome, but also useless. Firstly, McCown isn't even on the team anymore, he's a backup for the 1-5 Buccaneers. Secondly, Cutler doesn't really seem to be the answer either. Debating between Cutler/McCown is like debating which one's healthier, Fritos or Doritos. The sucky part is that we're stuck with Fritos for the next few years.

Matt Flynn stinks everywhere but Green Bay.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My list is similar to windy's...

- OL has regressed. Whether its injury or other things idk, but they have not been as good imo, which to me puts them below average this season.

- WR injuries and Jeffery not consistently making contested catches like last year.

- Cutler seems to have regressed in terms of system. I actually think his decision making has improved a lot this year. But it seems to me like there are stretches where he isn't playing within the system. Seems like in those stretches he isn't going through his progressions and from what Trestman has said, it sounds like he has been making mistakes with changing calls at the line. I think Trestman has been taking some heat from Cutler fucking up audibles.

- Trestman has been faced with an issue where he didn't have WRs and the OL was not holding up. This put them in a short pass pure WC gameplan. However, teams have adjusted quickly and are now sitting on the underneath shit. Trestman has not had an answer for this in the last 4 games.

- DL looks a lot improved but still is somewhat inconsistent.

- LBs are trash right now, though I have seen signs to be optimistic about Bostic and Jones and maybe Sharpton

- Safeties have been trash except Conte

- After Fuller, Jennings has been just OK and has looked like he has been trying to cover for shit safeties and getting picked on a lot cause of it. Rest of the CBs are trash imo.

- D overall looks like it has improved according to stats, however still has extended stretches of play where they make the opponent look SB bound.

- Tucker looks incapable of doing a fucking thing except the same shit that has been failing for 22 games.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Opponents have been flooding the 5-15 yard range with cover 3 and mixed exotic zones and Trestman and/or Cutler have not figured out how to beat it.

-Cago34-

CCS Mock Draft Champion
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'd like to see a quicker pace to things. Not really no huddle, but just get to the line, get set, and hike the ball before the D digs in. Get some cheap yards, keep the D on heels. Seems like good O's around the league do that a lot. The little games within the game I'd like to see more. The quick hitter plays.

Our O kinda looks lethargic to me.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Trestman said they are going to cut back on option plays. That should speed shit up a little.

I wonder if Trestman didn't take the reigns off Cutler a little too early.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Too many weapons to scheme one guy out. I think we scheme him out more often

Opponents have been flooding the 5-15 yard range with cover 3 and mixed exotic zones and Trestman and/or Cutler have not figured out how to beat it.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I'd like to see a quicker pace to things. Not really no huddle, but just get to the line, get set, and hike the ball before the D digs in. Get some cheap yards, keep the D on heels. Seems like good O's around the league do that a lot. The little games within the game I'd like to see more. The quick hitter plays.

Our O kinda looks lethargic to me.

I actually wouldn't mind no huddle. Our QB is the ultimate rhythm qb so why not keep him in it

-Cago34-

CCS Mock Draft Champion
Donator
Liked Posts:
I actually wouldn't mind no huddle. Our QB is the ultimate rhythm qb so why not keep him in it

I don't think going no huddle would be best for our team as a whole. Our O isn't efficient enough, or consistent enough to balance out the impact I think it'd have on our mediocre D.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The offense failure is on a bunch of people. For shits and giggles I will try and percent it out.

Cutler 35%
Trestman/Play Calling 35%
OL 20%
WRs 10%

fenderpfunk

Liked Posts:
Like Waddle said we need to run the fucking ball more. Simple as that. Our pass heavy inefficient-coast offense wouldn't get us to the IHSA semi-finals at this point so fuck it. Open up the field via the run.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I don't think going no huddle would be best for our team as a whole. Our O isn't efficient enough, or consistent enough to balance out the impact I think it'd have on our mediocre D.

I agree. Having Cutler to faster may not be a good option.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
From what Trestman says, it sounds like Cutler has been optioning out of runs.

fenderpfunk

Liked Posts:
I do agree with PIB in that Cutler is a rhythm QB. Once he gets out of one terrible shit starts happening, and it happens quickly and often. I don't mind the no huddle with Jay at this point. Give it a shot for a couple series at least.