4 Downs with Mike Ditka on Bears: ‘It’s the worst defense I’ve seen in a long time'

-Cago34-

CCS Mock Draft Champion
Donator
Liked Posts:
BY MIKE DITKA October 28, 2014 10:55PM
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/bears/30710321-606/4-downs-with-mike-ditka-on-bears-its-the-worst-defense-ive-seen-in-a.html#.VFD56TQtCFk

Coming into the season, the expectations were very high for the Bears. They’re 3-5 and in total disarray heading into the bye week. Who’s to blame for this mess?

I think everybody deserves a little bit of the blame. But I think it starts with the fact that they are not a very good team on defense, and that creates a lot of problems for the offense. They consistently put the offense in a position where they have to score to win. Their defense hasn’t been able to stop anybody, that’s for sure. You can point the finger at anyone you want, but the players on the field play. Coaches coach — they don’t play. Owners own — they don’t coach or play. It’s foolish to blame one person.

First of all, they’re not out of anything right now. I know it doesn’t look good, but they could turn this thing around. But things have to happen. You can’t wish them to happen. You can’t just say, ‘‘We’re going to get better on defense.’’ The only way you’re going to get better is if the play on the field improves. That’s what has to happen. It’s not a complicated thing.

Several former Bears, including Dan Hampton, Doug Buffone, Ed O’Bradovich and Dick Butkus, expressed their embarrassment about this team. Are you embarrassed by them?

It’s the worst defense I’ve seen in a long time. No question about it. I can understand why Dick, Dan, Doug or any of these guys would be vocal about it. The one constant throughout Bears history has been their defense. You know, in ’63, our defense carried us. We did some good things on offense, but our defense carried us. In ’85 we won a championship — our defense carried us.

You can sit here and indict the coach. You can indict the general manager. You can indict the owner. That doesn’t make any sense because they don’t play the game. Now, I understand they put the package together, and if that package isn’t good enough for the coach, then you have a problem.

It’s hard to change personnel eight games into the season. All they have to do is get back on track. I don’t have an answer, but I’d certainly start by handing the ball to Matt Forte 25 times a game. I’d try to shorten the game, keep the other team’s offense off the field as much as I can. I would play more of a ball-possession-type game if I could. Then again, I don’t know if people have that much patience. But I do know, you can’t run before you walk. I wish I had an answer for this. If I did, I would call Marc and tell him what it is.

Is there a quick fix?

I don’t think there is. You have to focus on your next game — Green Bay. That’s all you can worry about. You can’t worry about what has happened or what happened last week. I understand that New England has a great quarterback and a great coach. But that was disturbing to watch. It looked like a track meet out there.

I don’t have a remedy for it. I just watch. What I see when I watch is guys on defense that don’t look like they know what their assignment is sometimes. Then, when they do know it, they don’t do it very well. I don’t know who you blame for that any more than the individual.

How would you have reacted when Lamarr Houston blew out his knee celebrating a meaningless sack late in the game?

It’s doesn’t matter how I would have reacted or how they reacted. The problem is they lost a good football player for a silly reason.

You don’t celebrate, first of all. You play the game. The only time you celebrate is after the game — if you win. If you don’t, then don’t celebrate.

You know, every time a guy makes a play, there has to be all kinds of gyrations and actions. It actually becomes embarrassing to the game. The game is bigger than the people playing it. These people don’t seem to understand that.

How would you have reacted when Lamarr Houston blew out his knee celebrating a meaningless sack late in the game?

It’s doesn’t matter how I would have reacted or how they reacted. The problem is they lost a good football player for a silly reason.

You don’t celebrate, first of all. You play the game. The only time you celebrate is after the game — if you win. If you don’t, then don’t celebrate.

You know, every time a guy makes a play, there has to be all kinds of gyrations and actions. It actually becomes embarrassing to the game. The game is bigger than the people playing it. These people don’t seem to understand that.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Can we just go back to having a historically bad run D?

At least we wouldn't get a 50 burger lit up against us?

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
it's not all on Trestman, anybody remember us playing Indy a few years back when Urlacher was out hurt, Edgerrin James would have set the rushing record if Tony Dungy wasn't being nice to his buddy. Also, remember when Lovie benched Alex Brown for the skinny pass rusher and Adrian peterson almost set the rushing record on us?

policeman

Son of beech
Liked Posts:
Perhaps Ditka did not watch any of last years team play 'defense'?

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Perhaps Ditka did not watch any of last years team play 'defense'?

He caught bit's and pieces.
830488762.gif

Last edited:

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
Ah, Ditka with the obligatory - 'Bears history is defense'.

Fuck that. The Bears history is dog shit. In the modern NFL - which began in 1967 - 'The Super Bowl Era' - the Chicago Bears have one SB victory. One. And that was 30 years ago. You know who else has 1? Football meccas like St Louis, Indy and Tampa Bay.

Think about that - the storied 'Monsters of the Midway' have as many SB wins at the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

By comparison, the shitty little hamlet of Green Bay - which is smaller than fucking Naperville - has 4.

Appearances? The Bears have two. Two. In almost 50 years. Two. Buffalo is a shit city and they had 4 straight appearances. Minnesota Vikings have 4. Seattle has two.

Not to mention that the Bears have been to the playoffs 5 times since 1992. Five.

Whatever this 'Bears Defense Tradition' is, I want fucking none of it. Bears history and tradition - in the era that counts - the SuperBowl ERA - is complete dogshit. It's laughable.

I'd like to see a complete team. A team like Seattle was last year or like Denver is this year.

The Chicago Bears 'rich tradition' is horseshit. It's a tradition of losing.

Fuck history. Fuck nostalgia. Call the Bears an expansion team if you want. Howzabout they start a new tradition - one that consists of them playoff fucking meaningful games in January. That would be a nice change of pace.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
What the hell does Ditka know about Defense? Seriously?

If Buddy Ryan said this it might carry some weight.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
The Dit should stick to endorsements. Yeah, you heard me right...endorsements@!!!!

jsu34

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The defense is bad. Is Ditka wrong about that? Seems everyone is in agreement. Why complain about what Ditka says about it? It's true, this team stinks. It doesn't make Ditka wrong to say this team stinks and historically the Chicago Bears played good defense. This is a fact. That is until the Trestman hiring. We've been told that offense will carry the team and the defense isn't as important. And it isn't working yet. The Pats are a really good offensive team, but they simply are not 4 incomplete passes good...

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
Ditka is totally right about the celebrations after every play. It's gotten ridiculous, even in a close game let alone a game where you're down 25.

If I was a HC I would scream at guys who did that and I get the feeling Ditka would too. I don't know why Trestman puts up with it.

It's gotten so ridiculous that guys have their 'patented' celebrations now, the cattle wrangling, the fishermans hook...its like wtf,. is this pro wrestling or is it football?

MaoTenDoo

Rabid Homer
Donator
Liked Posts:
Da Coach says, "I don’t have an answer, but I’d certainly start by handing the ball to Matt Forte 25 times a game. I’d try to shorten the game, keep the other team’s offense off the field as much as I can. I would play more of a ball-possession-type game if I could."

I couldn't agree with this more.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
What the hell does Ditka know about Defense? Seriously?

He knows just what he said...that it carried him to a championship as a player and a coach. Buddy would probably agree with that.

GoBears

Liked Posts:
The Chicago Bears have always been about a great linebacker and a great running back. We have no linebackers and our running back is excellent but not great.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Tucker sure rotates a lot. It's like a Chinese fire drill out there with guys looking for which door to use. Far from putting guys in a position to succeed.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Remember when dika fucked over two teams?