if trestman blows the rest of the season is he gone?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Trestman and Cutler are tied together.

They will both be here till 2016 when Cutler can be moved.

Cutler cannot handle another coach and no coach is going to want 18 million tied up in a QB they might not be able to fix.

JeffChrist

Liked Posts:
Oh man, look at the mess we're in. We're probably getting rid of Tucker and DeCamilliis at the end of the season, but any top candidates to replace them probably wouldn't want to be tied to Trestman who may not be here after next season. And if we get rid of Trestman, who's gonna wanna come in and be tied to Jay? And if we get rid of Jay, who is going to play quarterback? I know we need to think about getting one in the near future anyway, but Jay's been our best since WWII... Remember not having a QB at all? That was really awful, and Jay can at least play. He's just hopeless with his stupid mistakes.

I just get the feeling that they're going to draft an average QB in the 3rd round while Jay is on the team and he's going to be somewhere between OK and crappy and we'll be right back to where we were before the Cutler deal. I also, want a better QB than Jay. I just think that our odds of getting one are terribly slim.

We may be stuck at mediocre/bad for 2 more years, but after that, things could get really bad if we cannot find a suitable replacement for Jay. Yikes! Who did you like more, Craig Krenzel or Chad Hutchinson? I really don't want to go back to those days, but there's a chance we may have to for a while in order to get better.

I know a lot can happen during that time, but that just really sounds depressing!

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Oh man, look at the mess we're in. We're probably getting rid of Tucker and DeCamilliis at the end of the season, but any top candidates to replace them probably wouldn't want to be tied to Trestman who may not be here after next season. And if we get rid of Trestman, who's gonna wanna come in and be tied to Jay? And if we get rid of Jay, who is going to play quarterback? I know we need to think about getting one in the near future anyway, but Jay's been our best since WWII... Remember not having a QB at all? That was really awful, and Jay can at least play. He's just hopeless with his stupid mistakes.

I just get the feeling that they're going to draft an average QB in the 3rd round while Jay is on the team and he's going to be somewhere between OK and crappy and we'll be right back to where we were before the Cutler deal. I also, want a better QB than Jay. I just think that our odds of getting one are terribly slim.

We may be stuck at mediocre/bad for 2 more years, but after that, things could get really bad if we cannot find a suitable replacement for Jay. Yikes! Who did you like more, Craig Krenzel or Chad Hutchinson? I really don't want to go back to those days, but there's a chance we may have to for a while in order to get better.

I know a lot can happen during that time, but that just really sounds depressing!

That all seems true. One more factor though, the annual injury is about due.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:

The thing is, we don't need a better QB than Jay. We just need someone who runs the offense better than Jay. That guy, IMO, is rather findable. I'm disappointed in Emery for signing Cutler long term and hiring a guy to try to fix him, basically setting the franchise back a couple of seasons, but I do believe in his ability to add talent to the roster via free agency and the draft. I'd give him one more shot to pick a coach and some time to rebuild the defense. Trestman, needs to go ASAP, IMO. I just don't see Phil doing that or the McCaskey's eating the money. I also don't buy into the whole "no coordinators will want to come here with Trestman on the hot seat" logic. ANYONE...and I do believe ANYONE coaching defense in this league will be an upgrade over Tucker. So if we may not get Rex Ryan, whoever replaces Tucker, will be an upgrade. Ultimately though, I don't think Trestman is a guy who can lead an NFL team and no DC will change that.

wklink

CBMB refugee
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Seattle Sounders FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
cubs fan mentality you people need to tattoo your slogan "ah shucks maybe next year"

And in what way or form was that a Cubs mentality?

You don't fire an NFL head coach after his second year. NO team in the decent NFL franchise fires its head coach after their second year short of massive scandal or gross ineptitude so bad that it warrents it. Jesus do you really want us to be like the Oakland Raiders? Maybe if the dream coach comes along you do something like this but firing a sitting coach after two years send a clear message. Any potential coaching candidate is just told that if you don't win right now, with these people then you are going to be kicked to the curb. No legitimate coach wants to work under those rules. Coaches want to build teams and that means both bringing in their people and getting rid of players that they feel aren't cutting it.

This isn't a Cubs mentality, it is an NFL mentality. Just remember that the SeaHawks were 7-9 in Carrolls first and second year. It took him four years to create that Superbowl team, and three years to get a winning record. I'm not saying that Trestman can do this but talking about firing a guy halfway through his second season is crap that the old Jets, the Raiders or the Dolphins do. And you can see how successful they were doing that.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:

Cutler cannot handle another coach and no coach is going to want 18 million tied up in a QB they might not be able to fix.

If the Bears are willing to take the cap hit, there would be at least one team willing to give up a second for Jay. Hopefully that was in the plans all along, because I can't for the life of me figure out why Emery or Trest would want to handcuff themselves to Jay Cutler. They have to have had a backup plan, they can't be that stupid.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Come on man you guys dubbed your team the lovable losers anyone that accepts such a mantra has to be called out. It's no wonder every excuse for the team is taken and losing is so acceptable.

not a cubs fan, but whatevs. you seem to just have a fucking dumb agenda that really doesn't have any merit being farted out on this board.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
And in what way or form was that a Cubs mentality?

You don't fire an NFL head coach after his second year. NO team in the decent NFL franchise fires its head coach after their second year short of massive scandal or gross ineptitude so bad that it warrents it. Jesus do you really want us to be like the Oakland Raiders? Maybe if the dream coach comes along you do something like this but firing a sitting coach after two years send a clear message. Any potential coaching candidate is just told that if you don't win right now, with these people then you are going to be kicked to the curb. No legitimate coach wants to work under those rules. Coaches want to build teams and that means both bringing in their people and getting rid of players that they feel aren't cutting it.

This isn't a Cubs mentality, it is an NFL mentality. Just remember that the SeaHawks were 7-9 in Carrolls first and second year. It took him four years to create that Superbowl team, and three years to get a winning record. I'm not saying that Trestman can do this but talking about firing a guy halfway through his second season is crap that the old Jets, the Raiders or the Dolphins do. And you can see how successful they were doing that.

You realize you are replying to a poster who eats brains and has none, right?

beardownboilerup85

Liked Posts:

God, that is depressing

doctorbear

Liked Posts:
...short of massive scandal or gross ineptitude so bad that it warrents it. Jesus do you really want us to be like the Oakland Raiders?

The Bears are just as bad as the Oakland Raiders as an organization. Take off homer glasses.

And yea "gross ineptitude" fits Trestman perfectly. Hiring a CFL coach could be considered a massive scandal.

The problem is that you want the Bears to keep Trestman just because "you don't do dat in the NFL." You're willing to throw away seasons because of that. Trestman will never make the playoffs and you know it.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
massive scandal? not really.

doctorbear

Liked Posts:
massive scandal? not really.

At the best it's a huge embarrassment. You have to admit that. They creeped out the leading HC candidate in Arians by making him do mock press conferences (even though he did a bunch the year before as acting HC... wtf?) and told him he had to keep members of Lovie's staff. Trestman was "highly regarded" by members of the organization. It's all shady as fuck.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
At the best it's a huge embarrassment. You have to admit that. They creeped out the leading HC candidate in Arians by making him do mock press conferences (even though he did a bunch the year before as acting HC... wtf?) and told him he had to keep members of Lovie's staff. Trestman was "highly regarded" by members of the organization. It's all shady as fuck.

.....Bruce, We love your credentials... but come on over in to this room.. we have friend and family dressed up in reporter outfits and we want you to give a press conference....

Bruce;
:enough:

Bearfanfromnewjersey

Liked Posts:
Every coach in the nfl could want to come to chicago and emery will not fire trestman after this year. At best tucker is gone and we get more agressive with our defense.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
.....Bruce, We love your credentials... but come on over in to this room.. we have friend and family dressed up in reporter outfits and we want you to give a press conference....

Bruce;
:enough:

When I read about the press conference part of the interview, I thought 100% that this was one of those fake internet articles. Is this actually real? That is really fucked up.

doctorbear

Liked Posts:
When I read about the press conference part of the interview, I thought 100% that this was one of those fake internet articles. Is this actually real? That is really fucked up.

lmao it's real. Go check out that Arians quote where he actually uses the word "weird" to describe how they would force him to keep part of Lovie's staff.

Even stranger are the homers on the board who came out and said the press conference thing was a good idea.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
lmao it's real. Go check out that Arians quote where he actually uses the word "weird" to describe how they would force him to keep part of Lovie's staff.

Even stranger are the homers on the board who came out and said the press conference thing was a good idea.

Shirley you can't be serious.

[video=youtube;0A5t5_O8hdA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A5t5_O8hdA[/video]

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

After hearing about that, I started thinking of the chatter in the past about the bears FO...
I never really bought that Virginia and her spawn were too influential in the football side of things... but now I almost start to wonder...
I remember the supposed love of Jauron by the ownership being a reason why he stuck around... and the lovie support... is it possible that the directive from up high is to place importance on "class" when selecting a coach?

Was Ditka/Wanny type personalities discouraged by ownership?
It seems far fetched... but the mock press conference raises unsettling suspicions.

When you look at the past 3 head coaches, they all share the trait of being reserved, rather emotionless, and very thoughtful about the way they speak. One begins to wonder.

BirdDog1980

Liked Posts:
I think it really depends on how bad the locker room situation really is.

I think that if Trestman has indeed lost the locker room and guys are starting to snap at each other, then yes, you absolutely have to make a coaching change. That kind of trust and chemistry cannot be obtained again once it's lost. You have to move on and start over. We're already starting to see guys lay down and loaf out there. Granted it couldve been because of the blowout, but we'll find out a lot more vs the Pack at Lambeau.