The Bears Playoff Breakdown

Bearsbeast

Liked Posts:
Its frustrating that we have been so close to making the playoffs every year since 2010. In 2011 we were 7-3 and heading into the easy part of our schedule (against the old crappy AFC west) and then Cutler breaks his thumb. 2012 we miss the playoffs despite going 10-6, which gets most teams into the playoffs. Last year we make it if it weren't for some bad coverage at the end of the Packer game. Who knows what this team would look like if we made the playoffs in 2011. We might still have Martz as an OC and Cutler would have probably retired after getting concussed so many times.

mecha

Liked Posts:
novel concept that nobody's proposed: Martz, with the current team.

TalkAlot

Liked Posts:
Say what you want to say. But in reality this bears team isn't making the playoffs anytime soon.

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
novel concept that nobody's proposed: Martz, with the current team.

FWIW Martz offense wasn't bad, the Bears just had the worst O-Line in the league and a horrible WR core. Scheme wise Martz > Trestman

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
FWIW Martz offense wasn't bad, the Bears just had the worst O-Line in the league and a horrible WR core

and a QB who has issues throwing timing patterns, slants, and hitting receivers in stride.

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I think people who show any kind of love for Martz should be banned.

Where you at Cago...? Fine, I'll do it...

230644_553717064645941_679634228_n.jpg

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
What surprised me was that in the last 10-12 years the Bears, despite not really being super competitive, have clung to mediocrity. There was no real time where they were really bad and rebuilding.

Part me wonders if this is a result of free agency being used to supplement the team, or mediocre drafting.

I wonder if the Bears would have been better to bottom out for a couple of season and used that to build a more talent rich roster?
Hard to say, but I'd only give the chance at better results as 50/50. Look at the Lions. They bottomed out at 0-16. The Lions are 1/7 like the Bears. I prefer our last 7 to the Lions.

I don't know if Trest has enough fire to produce a SB. Still, Trest made the Bears the 2nd scoring team last year. I don't think he's the problem. I think Cutler is the reason for the OFF inconsistency.

IMO, Tucker is the current major problem, along with Cutler's inconsistency. Tucker was the wrong choice, flat out. Even a hotshot young college DC would have been a better risk/choice. I would have found a way to keep Marinelli (and Toub) but that's another story.

I think replacing Tucker or Cutler is the only way we get out of mediocrity. To win a game the team has always needed the bump of Cutler being consistent a game, or the Defense playing a great game.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
You sure Trestman was the big difference and not the emergence of a 2nd year WR?

jeffery_zpsfd16fad6.png

I think they were both a big difference...

But I'm pretty comfortable laying a little more import on Trestman.

It's a nifty, albeit simplistic, table. McCown trained Jeffery over the offseason, maybe he's the 'big difference'. Or maybe the 2nd round draft pick made the common leap forward in his 2nd year, and Trestman was able to put a complete scheme on the field that was able to make use of Jeffery.

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
The numbers don't lie. For all of that 'Monsters of The Midway' and heritage franchise and tradition shit, the Bears franchise has largely been a shit pile defined by a lack of success.

The Bears are the New York Jets.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The numbers don't lie. For all of that 'Monsters of The Midway' and heritage franchise and tradition shit, the Bears franchise has largely been a shit pile defined by a lack of success.

The Bears are the New York Jets.

The Jets have made the playoffs 7 times in that 20 year period including 3 AFC Championship games.

So I wish the Bears were more like the Jets.