People blaming Jay?

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I can't remember the last time I saw a QB whose pocket awareness is so awful that he isn't able to go through reads and fails to see wide open receivers, because 100% of his attention is needed to maneuver in the pocket. Maybe there are some, but they're scrubs. I've never, ever seen a nine-year starter like that. It's just mind boggling that this guy gets so many unchallenged starts year after year after year.

I have been wondering if Trestman spent time trying to get Cutler to go through his reads from deep to short last year, realized going through progressions deep to short wasnt a strength, and started pushing going short to deep.

It is a possibility- Cutler ALWAYS went deep and blew off the check down historically, missing wide open guys underneath.
Now, He locks on to the short route and is missing the deep guys that are open.
He might not have the ability to legitimately handle looking through his reads and throwing.

That is the only logical reason I can see for the complete reversal of his game.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
I can't remember the last time I saw a QB whose pocket awareness is so awful that he isn't able to go through reads and fails to see wide open receivers, because 100% of his attention is needed to maneuver in the pocket. Maybe there are some, but they're scrubs. I've never, ever seen a nine-year starter like that. It's just mind boggling that this guy gets so many unchallenged starts year after year after year.

Most QBs fit that precise profile, but only one has such an obscene contract and cap hit.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I have been wondering if Trestman spent time trying to get Cutler to go through his reads from deep to short last year, realized going through progressions deep to short wasnt a strength, and started pushing going short to deep.

It is a possibility- Cutler ALWAYS went deep and blew off the check down historically, missing wide open guys underneath.
Now, He locks on to the short route and is missing the deep guys that are open.
He might not have the ability to legitimately handle looking through his reads and throwing.

That is the only logical reason I can see for the complete reversal of his game.

He doesn't have that ability. It's very clear.

Angry Boomer

President Mayhem
Donator
Liked Posts:
Do you even watch the games? It was amazing to start the game they showed Jay vs Romo and the stats were exactly the same except Jay has 6 more picks and prople see calling for Romo to be in the MVP convo. Jay has no O-line, the worse play calling I have seen since Shoop and no running game yet still has comparable stats to Romo, and you morons want to run him out of town. The jumping on the QB and laying blame is out of control in the league in general, but it has gone to another level with our fans.

Anyone blaming Cutler is an idiot..But then again, we have plenty of those here

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
6 more picks is a lot. I wonder how many more fumbles Gay Fuckler has.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
He doesn't have that ability. It's very clear.

I was trying to be semi polite, but yeah. He doesnt.

I really have seen a massive 180 in the way he scans on his drops.
Seriously though, when I was a kid I had a coach use that trick on me... every kid wants to go deep first.
He broke me of it really fast- my short would be wide left, intermediate wide right, and deep slot left. If I didnt turn my head 3 times I got a lap around the field.

Maybe the whisperer is going back to basics, and maybe Cutler is struggling with it.

Angry Boomer

President Mayhem
Donator
Liked Posts:
Between Trestmans 3rd and 1 run up the middle for no gain, and Garza'a 2 holding calls,3 drives were stopped dead in their tracks..Damn Cutler

inchibearfan

Liked Posts:
we got exactly what cutler is today he is a good qb u can win with him but u cant expect him to carry this team because he simply isn't a guy who can do that for you

This. He isn't elite and never will be. He is a Joe Flacco\Eli Manning, nothing more. Can you win with Flacco and E. Manning? Yes, but everything else has to be good around him including the defense and special teams. Ours is awful.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
lol. Can we make a deal here? Anyone who enjoyed Rex as our QB cant talk about QB's? It's kind of funny reading it. As far as blaming jay for the loss im not surprised. Frustration is boiling over and people need to blame someone instead of looking at the game as a whole

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Cutler played well today.

This entire team is a trainwreck.

That is on coaching.

He played decent. We had a lot of drops today, dumb penalties, and of course screens

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You must be drunk. Can't complete a fuckin' pass over 10 yards, didn't score more than 3 points after the defense gave them the ball on the opponents 5 yard line in the 1st quarter, 75 rating w/5 ypa and you call that good?

Today I call it being the victim of terrible coaching.

Cutler was not a superstar today, but he was fine. I am not a Cutler supporter, but to me today was a biger indictment of Trestman than Cutler.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He played decent. We had a lot of drops today, dumb penalties, and of course screens

I agree.

He was the victim of terrible coaching, drops, and bad line play.

There have been games where he has been brutal, but this was not one of them.

Angry Boomer

President Mayhem
Donator
Liked Posts:

Plus, our pass plays require the receivers to stop and turn around, giving the D time to break on the ball..Trestman called 1 deep slant all day, and of course it was successful

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
This. He isn't elite and never will be. He is a Joe Flacco\Eli Manning, nothing more. Can you win with Flacco and E. Manning? Yes, but everything else has to be good around him including the defense and special teams. Ours is awful.
Not close to Flacco or even Eli. They've actually performed well on the big stage and both have lesser weapons.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Not close to Flacco or even Eli. They've actually performed well on the big stage and both have lesser weapons.

Agree.

Flacco and Manning are inconsistent, but their good is winning Superbowls.

Big Tyme D

Liked Posts:
To be a Bears fan is to blame the QB.

Truth... facts we knew about Cutler before he even came to Chicago... he is a risk taker with a cannon for an arm. He will throw INTs... but he typically has been known to make up for them twice over with good plays. He 'was' a QB who was at his best when allowed to roll out and use his feet to escape the pocket and was given good protection. However, his protection has been inconsistent and his mobility has been stunted by the offensive design of the coaches.

I had hoped that Trestmans system would take advantage of Cutler's strong suits.... but after two years of watching it... the pay calling is too predictable... its too limited. If I never see another screen pass... I wouldn't care... I've seen enough. I cant remember when I've seen the Bears need seven and 'by design' the 1st option to throw too is seldom beyond the line of scrimage.

Before we got Cutler... we seen the type of offense he was striving in.. getting better and better. Has it been that hard for team management to find an OC who ran a system in which Cutler thrived in...? Instead of repeatedly looking to make him adapt to the systems of what ever OC they have hired. I look at Jay's stats... and they suggest that he is having another good year 'statistically' speaking.. one of his best. He may be on pace for more INTs than last year.. but certainly not his worst performance as far as TOs go... and he's still on pace to have one o his best years throwing TDs. So whats wrong...?

People can call it what ever they like.... apologist.. what ever... but while Jay shares in the fault of this teams shortcomings this year... he is not the primary. I 'see' the bad play calling coming from the sidelines... I see a defense giving up yards in 1st downs in bunches... I see critical dropped passes... I see the drive killing penalties.......... if all these areas were as tight as they should be.... Cutler would be fine. Most of the teams issues start with the coachng and with the lack of talent primarily on the defensive side of the ball.... our LBs and secondary are jokes. And we continue t have an offense scared to be aggressive.

Im not sure if Trestman will be here next year... but if he is... he needs to get his offense to gether... and hire some one who can actually coach up a defense. Emery... as far as bringing in talent.. I feels just need more time. So far he has hit on a few very good players in his drafts with more who still havent reached thier potential.... he just can t afford any more McClellins

Angry Boomer

President Mayhem
Donator
Liked Posts:
The offensive system we have now would have fit Orton to a T..Dink and dunk, and dont throw anything over 10 yards except to keep the d honest

Why go get a QB with a rocket arm and throttle the whole system down?..makes no sense

AussieBear

To be a Bears fan is to blame the QB.

Truth... facts we knew about Cutler before he even came to Chicago... he is a risk taker with a cannon for an arm. He will throw INTs... but he typically has been known to make up for them twice over with good plays. He 'was' a QB who was at his best when allowed to roll out and use his feet to escape the pocket and was given good protection. However, his protection has been inconsistent and his mobility has been stunted by the offensive design of the coaches.

I had hoped that Trestmans system would take advantage of Cutler's strong suits.... but after two years of watching it... the pay calling is too predictable... its too limited. If I never see another screen pass... I wouldn't care... I've seen enough. I cant remember when I've seen the Bears need seven and 'by design' the 1st option to throw too is seldom beyond the line of scrimage.

Before we got Cutler... we seen the type of offense he was striving in.. getting better and better. Has it been that hard for team management to find an OC who ran a system in which Cutler thrived in...? Instead of repeatedly looking to make him adapt to the systems of what ever OC they have hired. I look at Jay's stats... and they suggest that he is having another good year 'statistically' speaking.. one of his best. He may be on pace for more INTs than last year.. but certainly not his worst performance as far as TOs go... and he's still on pace to have one o his best years throwing TDs. So whats wrong...?

People can call it what ever they like.... apologist.. what ever... but while Jay shares in the fault of this teams shortcomings this year... he is not the primary. I 'see' the bad play calling coming from the sidelines... I see a defense giving up yards in 1st downs in bunches... I see critical dropped passes... I see the drive killing penalties.......... if all these areas were as tight as they should be.... Cutler would be fine. Most of the teams issues start with the coachng and with the lack of talent primarily on the defensive side of the ball.... our LBs and secondary are jokes. And we continue t have an offense scared to be aggressive.

Im not sure if Trestman will be here next year... but if he is... he needs to get his offense to gether... and hire some one who can actually coach up a defense. Emery... as far as bringing in talent.. I feels just need more time. So far he has hit on a few very good players in his drafts with more who still havent reached thier potential.... he just can t afford any more McClellins

Yeah the he was better then argument. Yay

AussieBear

I was trying to be semi polite, but yeah. He doesnt.

I really have seen a massive 180 in the way he scans on his drops.
Seriously though, when I was a kid I had a coach use that trick on me... every kid wants to go deep first.
He broke me of it really fast- my short would be wide left, intermediate wide right, and deep slot left. If I didnt turn my head 3 times I got a lap around the field.

Maybe the whisperer is going back to basics, and maybe Cutler is struggling with it.

Trestman has tried with route design. I can't remember which play it was but he had four targets to the left on several levels. It struck me how bad jay is at going through targets that he needed four on that design. Plus others calls. That play just stuck out big time. I think he hit Bennett underneath.

At times it looks like a package designed for a rookie