Around The MLB: Free Agent Signings And Trades Discussion Thread

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I'd be interested in taking a shot at Brandon Beachy, too...

I think if it was last year they would look at Beachy or Medlin but I don't see it going into 2015. Assuming they sign Lester I think they next try to get one of the second tier guys like Liriano or McCarthy to plug in at the #3. At that point you have a pretty solid top 3 and a bunch of guys to compete for 4 & 5 in Hendricks, Wada, Wood, Turner, Doubront & Strailey. Unless they really see something in one of those guys I'm not sure how it helps.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
@Ken_Rosenthal: Source confirms that talks between #Braves and Markakis are serious. @Buster_ESPN reported that deal could be four years, $45M.

This is what kinda irritates me with the cubs..
I watch other teams trade for or sign good players while the cubs sit on waiting for 1 guy... then that guy decides to sign elsewhere and then the pool of decent players is basically empty and the cubs are left with scrap because they waited on 1 guy

chibears55

Liked Posts:
@JeffPassan: Source: OF Nick Markakis agrees to four-year deal with Atlanta Braves. Dollars unclear, but sides discussed a deal in neighborhood of $44M.

theberserkfury

Liked Posts:
@Ken_Rosenthal: Source confirms that talks between #Braves and Markakis are serious. @Buster_ESPN reported that deal could be four years, $45M.

This is what kinda irritates me with the cubs..
I watch other teams trade for or sign good players while the cubs sit on waiting for 1 guy... then that guy decides to sign elsewhere and then the pool of decent players is basically empty and the cubs are left with scrap because they waited on 1 guy

Did you really want Markakis?

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Did you really want Markakis?

I don't care for platoons and I have my doubts on coughlin as a full time starter though I like him as a 4th OFer...

so, yes I would of been happy seeing nick markakis full time in LF for the next 4 years over whatever platoon they will have..

id also be happy with melky Cabrera...

they said they wanted to add a veteran to the main line up and id prefer they do it with someone who will be in the line up everyday and be a stable part of the team for the next 3 + years as the kids grow.. id prefer that route, then adding a 30 somtn to be a part time player for a year or two..

chibears55

Liked Posts:
@TheCCO: #Cubs : Cubs Reportedly Among Teams Pursuing David Ross bit.ly/1tGA4FX #MLB

This is interesting, perhaps a move to where he would be Lester personal catcher.. only real reason i could see why cubs would be interested in a 38 YO .200 hitting RH back up catcher

Is he a bait or a sign Lester coming ?

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I don't see one single FA signing involving a FA the Cubs should be after.

Butler? Hanley Ramirez? Panda? None of these guys are what the Cubs need or are at a price worth pursuing.

Lester will decide soon, and win or lose, the Cubs will move on to their next target(s).

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
I don't see one single FA signing involving a FA the Cubs should be after.

Butler? Hanley Ramirez? Panda? None of these guys are what the Cubs need or are at a price worth pursuing.

Lester will decide soon, and win or lose, the Cubs will move on to their next target(s).

Markakis easily at 11 million would have been far better than Arismendy Alcantara and Chris Coghlan/Ruggiano platooning in the OF.

Otherwise the three you named wouldn't have been worth it, no.

If the cubs lose out on Lester, something I hope doesn't happen; they better have a plan, or I'm going to need a new spring hobby, because 2015 can easily be chalked up to another throwaway year.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Kind of off topic but I thought this was a great read of 2014 worst defensive players on CBS.

Shortstop - Hanley Ramirez, Dodgers

Six shortstops scored a negative-nine or worse in DRS and the five aside from Ramirez played at least 1,138 innings at the position. Ramirez spent just 919 2/3 and we're talking about a cumulative stat. Only Yunel Escobar was worse in UZR and, again, it's a cumulative stat, so there's a lot of futility packed in there. Ramirez also tied for the worst fielding percentage among regulars at short. There's a reason the Marlins moved him to third a few years ago and that the Red Sox are likely to shift him to left field: He's just not a shortstop anymore.

When he does try to range and make a play? Yuck.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on...ove-awards-for-worst-defensive-players-in-mlb

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Markakis easily at 11 million would have been far better than Arismendy Alcantara and Chris Coghlan/Ruggiano platooning in the OF.

If the cubs lose out on Lester, something I hope doesn't happen; they better have a plan, or I'm going to need a new spring hobby, because 2015 can easily be chalked up to another throwaway year.

So you are not going to watch Bryant and Soler?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Alcantara CF
Coghland/Ruggiano LF
Rizzo 1B
Soler RF
Castro SS
Valbuena 3B
Baez 2B
Castillo C

Bench:
LaStella UI

Needs: Back up catcher

AAA: Bryant 3B, Russell SS. Both top 10 prospects.

They can take care of any OF needs in house. Back up catcher they need a vet.

Pitching is still the top need going on.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

They don't need to spend that kind of money on a bat. And there is now talk that Markakis has a neck issue that scared his own team off.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Just saw the Red Sox apparently have upped their offer to Lester.

We had to know that was coming. Your move, Theo.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
So you are not going to watch Bryant and Soler?

I'm tired of nothing happening. The farm is built sans quality pitching, so there's no reason to cop out behind swinging and missing in the offseason. This team is being built to not compete, but hoping for gravy.

Before the offseason started, I had an idea of what the cubs would do based on moves. If they get the big name SP and a couple position players, they're ready to stop being a tank job for the draft pick.

If the pick up table scraps and ship them at the first sign of a hot streak, then nothing has changed.

I was under the impression this was supposed to be the offseason we stop being the laughing stock of the division.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
They don't need to spend that kind of money on a bat. And there is now talk that Markakis has a neck issue that scared his own team off.

That kind of money? 11 mil a year is certainly worth a .290 hitting, .360 OBP who can hit 15 home runs and knock in 80 batting 2nd.

I wonder to if you would say the same of some of these prospects, especially Boras clients, if they pan out and reach contract years.

Nobody comes cheap. Markakis would have improved this team bar none while filling a hole in LF and fixing a line up/lack of offense issue.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
With nothing solved yet, why assume the worst?

We aren't even at the winter meetings, Lester, Shields, Scherzer, Liriano, Hammel to name a few are still on the market, and a lot of action will start beginning next week which will drop peoples jaws.

Not saying that Lester is coming here or going somewhere else, but that ii is very early, and none of us know what alternative plans are if they swing and miss on him.

It's hard to compete against the big boys at this point if they step in, especially with the Cubs not having the revenue streaming and Television rights that they have.

Until that happens for the Cubs and/or we become the attractive destination for free agents, expect this to keep happening.

I still think Lester is coming to Chicago for what it's worth. :buttrock:

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
With nothing solved yet, why assume the worst?

We aren't even at the winter meetings, Lester, Shields, Scherzer, Liriano, Hammel to name a few are still on the market, and a lot of action will start beginning next week which will drop peoples jaws.

Not saying that Lester is coming here or going somewhere else, but that ii is very early, and none of us know what alternative plans are if they swing and miss on him.

It's hard to compete against the big boys at this point if they step in, especially with the Cubs not having the revenue streaming and Television rights that they have.

Until that happens for the Cubs and/or we become the attractive destination for free agents, expect this to keep happening.

I still think Lester is coming to Chicago for what it's worth. :buttrock:

I think he is too. Everything that's happened in the last few days is agent driven and you can hardly blame them or Lester for it. They're looking to find the ceiling of the negotiations. So far the ceiling in offers is below their expectations. So what do you do? Get someone else involved. They've been trying to do this for weeks with the Cardinals, Braves and now Giants. As far as the Dodgers go it makes sense for them to kick the tires and frankly they may have been given a sell job by Lester's agent to do so.

Agent: You know I see that Grienke has an opt out after next year and my guy is available...

LA: Well sure but we're not really looking though.

Agent: Still it could make sense for you and you know the Giants are in this.

LA: Well there is that, sure we'll think about it.

And with that the agent gets his wish, a shiny new bargaining chip. Now the Dodgers could think on it and decide it does have merit and make a big offer or they could do nothing. Doesn't matter. It's the way the game is played. If I'm Chicago I go almost to my top number today and tell the agent they want to get this done. If they're still the top bidder, which I suspect they are, I think it gets done. Again, I think he's a Cub as well.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
I think he is too. Everything that's happened in the last few days is agent driven and you can hardly blame them or Lester for it. They're looking to find the ceiling of the negotiations. So far the ceiling in offers is below their expectations. So what do you do? Get someone else involved. They've been trying to do this for weeks with the Cardinals, Braves and now Giants. As far as the Dodgers go it makes sense for them to kick the tires and frankly they may have been given a sell job by Lester's agent to do so.

Agent: You know I see that Grienke has an opt out after next year and my guy is available...

LA: Well sure but we're not really looking though.

Agent: Still it could make sense for you and you know the Giants are in this.

LA: Well there is that, sure we'll think about it.

And with that the agent gets his wish, a shiny new bargaining chip. Now the Dodgers could think on it and decide it does have merit and make a big offer or they could do nothing. Doesn't matter. It's the way the game is played. If I'm Chicago I go almost to my top number today and tell the agent they want to get this done. If they're still the top bidder, which I suspect they are, I think it gets done. Again, I think he's a Cub as well.

And for what it's worth, The Dodgers are said to be in on Shields and Scherzer as well.

They could land any of them if they choose to, but my hunch says the Dodgers get Scherzer.

Kershaw, Grienke, Scherzer and Ryu? Yeah! Sign me up.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
That kind of money? 11 mil a year is certainly worth a .290 hitting, .360 OBP who can hit 15 home runs and knock in 80 batting 2nd.

I wonder to if you would say the same of some of these prospects, especially Boras clients, if they pan out and reach contract years.

Nobody comes cheap. Markakis would have improved this team bar none while filling a hole in LF and fixing a line up/lack of offense issue.

That was Markakis 3 years ago and he just turned 31. In now way a game changer, you can find that type of production for cheaper.