[A] Kicking Tires: Power Forward in the Cards?

Ton

Liked Posts:
Although there is plenty of size coming up through the system in the form of Jimmy Hayes, Kyle Beach, and Rob Flick, there still is a big need that must be filled. Particularly looking at the left wing where Dan Carcillo, Viktor Stalberg, Bryan Bickell, and Brandon Bollig currently reside, replacing the once towering position that dominated opponents with size and proper execution.

This off-season there seems to be a couple players that are available for the taking that can fill those needs quickly. Here's the list:

Evander Kane

WINNIPEG JETS

Size? Check. Skill? Check. Bursting onto the 2011-2012 season was 20 year old Evander Kane with 173 hits and 30 goals to top off his breakout campaign. Stan Bowman is no stranger to dealing with the Jets, more specifically Kevin Cheveldayoff. Given the fact that he is a natural left-wing would provide a perfect fit for the top-2 lines in Chicago and slotting players such as Stalberg, Carcillo, and Bickell where they deserve to be.

But why in the world would the Jets give up on a player of this caliber?

His contract has expired and with RFA status, the Jets will try to negotiate a new contract for the young power forward. However, it has been reported by Renaud Lavoie that Evander simply does not want to negotiate a new contract with the Jets. If this is true, Bowman needs to be all over this. It might take a steep price to land Kane, but the Blackhawks have the prospect depth to burn along other movable roster players to make room for him.

It's time for Bowman to make that bold move. The type of move that puts a real finger print onto the roster.

James van Riemsdyk

PHILADELPHIA FLYERS

Drafted 2nd behind Patrick Kane by the Flyers in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft, van Riemsdyk is the perfect compliment on the top-2 lines as he boasts a good combination of size and talent. In his last 118 games, James has complied 144 hits, 32 goals, and 64 points. Although he hasn't had quite the breakout year as Evander Kane has had and certainly struggled through injury last season, his potential still towers over prospects such as Kyle Beach and Rob Flick.

It has been widely speculated that the Flyers want to send van Riemsdyk in a package deal to land Rick Nash, but regardless, it is well known that he is a hot candidate to be dealt this off-season. If Paul Holmgren can't get Columbus to bite (and likely won't with the Rangers hot on Nash) Stan Bowman should make an effort to be his 2nd option.

Guillaume Latendresse

MINNESOTA WILD

Before you say "Eric Daze" there's one thing you should know: Latendresse is actually very physical. If Stan Bowman wants to add some size on the cheap this is a huge risk/reward scenario. The Wild probably won't tender him a qualifying offer especially if they want to push hard for Parise or Nash which it looks like they will do that. However, there is still a chance that they try to sign him to an incentive laden deal. If healthy, Latendresse could pop in 20-30 goals while contributing an upwards of 150 hits. The downside? He needs to be healthy, and quite honestly, his skating ability is just a touch better than Andrew Brunette's.

With his recent troubles the past two years, it shouldn't be out of the question for any team to take a chance on him for under $1.5M per year. This guy is still young at 25 years old, he plays the left-wing, and he's got great size. The key to this type of deal is to add him as a depth player. The contract won't be much of a hit, set the expectation low, and if he's healthy then you have one of the best bang for buck players in the NHL on your hands.

If the Blackhawks don't address the need for size upfront, Kyle Beach and Jimmy Hayes should be locked in to battle for a roster spot in training camp. Is it worth pursuing options outside of the organization or will either of them have what it takes?

Click here to view the article

Shoots_he_scores

Liked Posts:
University of North Dakota, by way of Oak Lawn
If Winnipeg is truly interested in trading Kane, which I don't believe they'll do, Stan better be hot on that trail. There is not a prospect in our system I wouldn't trade for that guy. He is going to be an absolute force in this league for a long, long time. I would have no problem with the Hawks trading a package of McNeil, Morin, Pirri, either Hayes, hell even Hjalmarsson (Not all of those, but a combination). Kane would be a game changer for this team.

Kane/Toews/Kane

Stalberg/Sharp/Hossa

Carcillo/Bolland/Shaw

Bickell/Mayers/Hayes

Kruger

supraman

Liked Posts:
pfft we are resigning cullimore

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
GUISE HOW CAN WE TELL KANE AND KANE APART

Easy, you send Patrick the other way...

<

Ton

Liked Posts:
Shoots_he_scores' timestamp='1339970140 said:
If Winnipeg is truly interested in trading Kane, which I don't believe they'll do, Stan better be hot on that trail. There is not a prospect in our system I wouldn't trade for that guy. He is going to be an absolute force in this league for a long, long time. I would have no problem with the Hawks trading a package of McNeil, Morin, Pirri, either Hayes, hell even Hjalmarsson (Not all of those, but a combination). Kane would be a game changer for this team.

Kane/Toews/Kane

Stalberg/Sharp/Hossa

Carcillo/Bolland/Shaw

Bickell/Mayers/Hayes

Kruger

Absolutely. I don't think Winnipeg is "interested" in trading E. Kane, but they might have to if he refuses to sign with them. That said, the Jets hold the cards. They will keep him with a QO and try to negotiate for the summer. Technically he would have to hold out of training camp and really force their hand if he wants to get moved that badly or hope that another team sends him an offer sheet.

I think it's a slim chance, but still a chance and if I'm Bowman I would light up Chevy's phone for the entire summer to hammer something out.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Evander Kane would be a nice adition...even more so if he does to Torres what he did to Cooke.

Not completely sold on VanReimslesbian or Latendresse.

Plus, a battle for a slot always seems to bring out the best in our rookies.

CLWolf81

Fan Captain
Liked Posts:
Evander Kane at minimum last year made $3.1M. I can only dare to imagine what he's going to want next year. I'm thinking he'll want to make $5-$6M, but I expect him to get around $4.75M or so, which for him is about right if you factor in a "hometown discount".

That said, I expect Winnipeg to want to go the cheaper route, though I don't see how they could. They're $31M under the cap as it is, and they're only above Phoenix, Ottawa, Colorado, and Nashville in that regard.

Either way, I hope Stan has Chevy's number on speed dial.

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
Supposedly the rumors are just rumors. Kane hasn't said that he doesn't want to play for the Jets.

JVR hasn't really impressed me quite yet either. Then again, I haven't seen him play too much, but from what I have I really didn't notice him.

R K

Evander? He has a choice? Patrick, has a NTC that only kicks in year #5. So neither controls their own destiny....

dlrob315

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Evander Kane at minimum last year made $3.1M. I can only dare to imagine what he's going to want next year. I'm thinking he'll want to make $5-$6M, but I expect him to get around $4.75M or so, which for him is about right if you factor in a "hometown discount".

That said, I expect Winnipeg to want to go the cheaper route, though I don't see how they could. They're $31M under the cap as it is, and they're only above Phoenix, Ottawa, Colorado, and Nashville in that regard.

Either way, I hope Stan has Chevy's number on speed dial.

E.Kane base only $900,000 last year. Whether or not he hit his bonuses, I can't say.

I wouldn't expect a home town discount, we're not talking like he is playing for a contender or a major city.

supraman

Liked Posts:
Supposedly the rumors are just rumors. Kane hasn't said that he doesn't want to play for the Jets.

JVR hasn't really impressed me quite yet either. Then again, I haven't seen him play too much, but from what I have I really didn't notice him.

I would take JVR in a heartbeat

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
Don't know so much about a power forward... but how about one of the greatest forwards of all time?

‏@DarrenDreger

Jaromir Jagr enjoyed Phildadelphia, but plans on testing free agency. Also plans to change training to shed some lbs and get faster.​

supraman

Liked Posts:
great Jagr is coming to chicago....ugh. He's a dinosaur so stan will love him

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
Don't know so much about a power forward... but how about one of the greatest forwards of all time?

‏@DarrenDreger

Jaromir Jagr enjoyed Phildadelphia, but plans on testing free agency. Also plans to change training to shed some lbs and get faster.​

Rather spend on the money on a hole in our lineup.

Chief Walking Stick

Donator
Liked Posts:
Rather spend on the money on a hole in our lineup.

Yea because his 54 points ( better than Bolland) wouldn't be welcome on the team.

Would you take Selanne?

EDIT: I can't wait til Jagr goes to Detroit and at the end of the year everyone says "damn I wish we would have signed Jagr".

Chief Walking Stick

Donator
Liked Posts:
Jagr had more points than all 3 of the old fucks combined last year.

Jagr 54 points

O'Donnell + Mayers + Brunette = 49 points

NO BRAINER

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
Yea because his 54 points ( better than Bolland) wouldn't be welcome on the team.

Would you take Selanne?

EDIT: I can't wait til Jagr goes to Detroit and at the end of the year everyone says "damn I wish we would have signed Jagr".

Honestly, if the Hawks needed help at Forward, I would take Jagr and Selanne. Problem is they need help on defense. Neither fixes that problem.

Hawks have probably have 5 of the top 25 forwards on the team and were able to score a good amount when they showed up. Problem was they couldn't keep the puck out of their own net. Selanne and Jagr don't solve that.

CLWolf81

Fan Captain
Liked Posts:
Thats all fine and dandy, Stu, but as we learned from last year, dinosaurs are not a band-aid solution to the problem.

e.g. Brunette, O'Donnell, Montador...

Now, about Evander Kane, this article found earlier adds more to why Kane doesn't want to be in Winnipeg... The main reason being the quote below...

But you might also recall that Kane found himself in a little issue with the folks of his new city in Winnipeg. He was accused of dining and dashing by some local restauranters in Winnipeg and they let him know about it with signs at game.