[A] 2012 Free Agent Frenzy

Ton

Liked Posts:
This year the Blackhawks are the only team without an RFA which will give them more time to focus on improving the roster with outside additions. Among the UFA list, Sean O'Donnell, Andrew Brunette, Brendan Morrison, Sami Lepisto and Cristobal Huet are all officially no longer under contract with the Blackhawks and will not return. They also did not tender qualifying offers to Simon Danis-Pepin or Christopher DiDomenico.

There are plenty of big names that round out the UFA list, but if the Blackhawks strike out on the Ryan Suter's of the NHL then what types of players will they focus on?

With the core solidified they may not need to make the big move, but instead focus on role players that can help the team more-so than the Andrew Brunette's and Sean O'Donnell's of years past. Jay McClement and Paul Gaustad (although the later may come too expensive) could help bring in center depth that the Blackhawks have desperately lacked since winning the Cup in 2010. Although Jamal Mayers will return, it's possible that the Blackhawks plan to slot him on the wing instead of center next season.

McClement is an interesting option considering he can provide a ton of energy, score goals, really help out the penalty-kill, and he could come at a good price. Gaustad is more of a physically imposing player but his price will be much higher after creating a buzz after helping Nashville reach the 2nd round last season.

Now, along with interest in the center market, the Blackhawks will also dip their feet in another area: goaltending. Of course with Corey Crawford and Ray Emery under contract there isn't a high level of interest but with Martin Brodeur hitting the open market it has been rumored that the Blackhawks will be the hottest on Marty's trail with a one or two year deal if he decides to leave the Devils.

Other than the free agency front, Niklas Hjalmarsson's name continues to be a hot topic in the rumor mill with the Edmonton Oilers on his trail.

Click here to view the article

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
I will actively root against him and the Hawks if he's signed.

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
rumors are suter will probably want 28 million through the first two to three years. this includes huge signing bonuses which will of course make it cap feasable.

if that's what he wants..good luck. Detroit can have him. he's good and he's lucky its a weak free agent market. but he's not that good for god sakes.

also it appears sid is outreaching to parise to come play in Pittsburgh. sid is a horrible cap manager.

BigPete

Liked Posts:
Please sign Gaustad!

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
in stus defense i don't want Marty here either even though the media thinks its a great fit.

i know the teams not 100 percent in love with cory. but i don't think its fair to throw him under the bus yet. Marty wants to play he isn't going to want to split time or mentor.

lebrun claims that the hawks haven't spoken to him yet anyways. take that for what you will.

klemmer

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
in stus defense i don't want Marty here either even though the media thinks its a great fit.

i know the teams not 100 percent in love with cory. but i don't think its fair to throw him under the bus yet. Marty wants to play he isn't going to want to split time or mentor.

lebrun claims that the hawks haven't spoken to him yet anyways. take that for what you will.

Now he's saying that the Hawks have talked to Marty

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
hawks need a long term solution in net in my opinion not a one to two year fix. this is my only concern. i am one of the few who still thinks cory can blossom.

i think center and lw are bigger concerns than goal. add on the need for a defensive upgrade also.

my opinion has nothing to do with Marty the player..he can still play.

klemmer

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
the Mohawk tweets:

eruns.jpg

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
lol eruns..nice.

staals contract was ten years at SIX per?

little steep for a guy who has been a third line center in Pittsburgh. risky. again he's good and probably can be a second line center. he's not first line center material.

klemmer

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Makes sense since Burish just went to SJ