[A] Central Division Failure: Blackhawks Should Reap Rewards

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Versteeg would be the closest, maybe Bolland or Brouwer.

xatruio

Liked Posts:
Versteeg wasnt homegrown, we got him from Boston, it was Sharp steal part 2 for Tallon. I'd say Bolland is the best homegrown out of them within the past 5 years. Or Hammer.

Ton

Liked Posts:
Don't forget Buff, Keith, Seabrook.

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
we are small enough already.

Speak for yourself...
<

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
Significant time? Bourque, Brouwer and Bolland all had a full season.

Only Bickell spent more time in the minors of the current Hawks. Morin and Pirri are done with their second; Smith done with his 3rd.

R K

Significant time? Bourque, Brouwer and Bolland all had a full season.

Only Bickell spent more time in the minors of the current Hawks. Morin and Pirri are done with their second; Smith done with his 3rd.

Top 6. I know you have a hard time reading though.

Ton

Liked Posts:
To the Blackhawks credit, it's kind of hard for a young kid to crack a top-six consisting of Toews, Kane, Sharp and Hossa. I'm surprised Stalberg was even given a chance given Q's obsession with aging players and agitators in the top-six.

Saad might be the closest to having a legitimate chance this year. Which is probably the first since Toews and Kane came into the league.

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Versteeg wasnt homegrown, we got him from Boston, it was Sharp steal part 2 for Tallon. I'd say Bolland is the best homegrown out of them within the past 5 years. Or Hammer.

He played on the Admirals/Hogs before making the jump to the Blackhawks. We didn't draft him, but they still helped develop him.

sth

Liked Posts:
Name me a 2nd line Center available? I can't see any. Stan may suck but you can't just produce a deal if other teams aren't willing to trade them..

Gustad was resigned

Roy was traded for specific Players. Ott going back the other way.

I guess you could have taken a shot at Meuller, but Tallon got him. And he has an injury riddled past.

Centers are hard to come by and always have been. Last year it was Richards and he was about the only one. I can't remember a time we weren't thin at "legitimate" top line Centers. Even during the Cup year which is why Sharp was playing Center. Not sure what the deal was last year with that but it was dumb.

You know for all the blame people like me heap on Bowman. We forget it's not easy to be a GM. Especially when it comes to the center position. It's easy for me to say Kruger sucks we need a 2nd line center, but like you said I don't know who they can get. I have no one. Short of overpaying in a trade for Plekanic. I have nothing, Roy sucks. Gaustad give me a break. Centers are like gold. When Staal was on the Pens still maybe stealing Dupis would be possible. But not now.

Larmer83

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Name me a 2nd line Center available? I can't see any. Stan may suck but you can't just produce a deal if other teams aren't willing to trade them..

Gustad was resigned

Roy was traded for specific Players. Ott going back the other way.

I guess you could have taken a shot at Meuller, but Tallon got him. And he has an injury riddled past.

Centers are hard to come by and always have been. Last year it was Richards and he was about the only one. I can't remember a time we weren't thin at "legitimate" top line Centers. Even during the Cup year which is why Sharp was playing Center. Not sure what the deal was last year with that but it was dumb.

Vermette at the trade deadline and Ribero at the draft. Off course, Stanbo apologists will claim that Columbus and Dallas were not going to trade within their division or conference.

EbonyRaptor

Liked Posts:
By my count, there were only 4 centers worthy of 2C that got moved this offseason - Staal, Ribiero, Roy and Jokinen. Of those, Staal wanted to play in Carolina, Roy was dealt because Buffalo wanted Ott, Ribiero would have been nice but we don't know if Dallas was willing to trade intra-conference and lastly Jokinen ... I think most would agree the Hawks are a better team without him.

Are there 2C's out there that can be acquired in a trade - sure, but at what cost? No one is going to trade a legit 2C without wanting one of the big-4 back and that should be a non-starter for the Hawks.

So, as this article correctly illustrates - Detroit and Nashville essentially took a step back, Columbus is no where close to competing and St.Louis is a "system team" that has a coach with a short shelf life ... so, the division should be there for the taking.

Now, as far as the conference ... I dunno

Larmer83

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Are there 2C's out there that can be acquired in a trade - sure, but at what cost? No one is going to trade a legit 2C without wanting one of the big-4 back and that should be a non-starter for the Hawks.

I'm not so sure about that. What did the Caps give up to get Ribeiro? Or the Yotes to get Vermette? I'm pretty sure in both cases a 2nd round pick was the highlight going the other way.

supraman

Liked Posts:
Seriously I know everyone has this love affair with Bolly as the 3rd line center. but it seems those might be easier to come by and he's been a good soldier and deserves a real shot at being the 2nd line C. Give him some good wingers and the guy produces.

Ton

Liked Posts:
By my count, there were only 4 centers worthy of 2C that got moved this offseason - Staal, Ribiero, Roy and Jokinen. Of those, Staal wanted to play in Carolina, Roy was dealt because Buffalo wanted Ott, Ribiero would have been nice but we don't know if Dallas was willing to trade intra-conference and lastly Jokinen ... I think most would agree the Hawks are a better team without him.

So, as this article correctly illustrates - Detroit and Nashville essentially took a step back, Columbus is no where close to competing and St.Louis is a "system team" that has a coach with a short shelf life ... so, the division should be there for the taking.

Now, as far as the conference ... I dunno

Spot on. I don't have much confidence in Stan making the bold move, and now is the time to do it. Then again, he has never had this opportunity in the past so who knows.