Convention?

klemmer

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So, what kind of clusterfucque was it this year?

Rex

Chief Blackcock
Liked Posts:
I didn't spend the money to go. Way too much out of my budget to wait in line with a bunch of bandwagoners who don't know who the hell they are in line to meet.

R K

I don't think it was a cluster fuck at all. Just a lot of fans that aren't knowedgeable about the game or their team.

Hotel has had some major upgrades, the venues were finally changed so that they could fit more fans in the seminars.

Not sure about anyone else but I don't think there were near the amount of fans there have been in the past several years. I know they said sold out but seemed like a much thinner crowd this year. Although twice the teeny boppers for sure.

klemmer

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think it was a cluster fuck at all. Just a lot of fans that aren't knowedgeable about the game or their team.

Hotel has had some major upgrades, the venues were finally changed so that they could fit more fans in the seminars.

Not sure about anyone else but I don't think there were near the amount of fans there have been in the past several years.
I know they said sold out but seemed like a much thinner crowd this year. Although twice the teeny boppers for sure.

Maybe the two go hand in hand-maybe others got tired of the bandwagon.... Either way, it will be nice to hear about the seminars...

R K

The Fighters seminar with Stu Grimson was excellent I thought. It had Carcillo, Bollig, Mayers and Grimson. Grimson is extremely articulate. I didn't know it took him a year and a half to get over his concussion symptoms after retirement and they ended his career.

I missed the Captains seminar but bet it was cool listening to them talk. The vending area is always cool but as somone said I think there were less, individual vendors vs the sponsered ones.

I also missed the opening ceremony as we were late but they changed that as well and most fans that wanted to had access from what I was told. Part of why I think it appeared to have a lot less fans this year.

Of course the Auto's are a cluster but that's the same with any event like this and really, I'd never wait for hours in line for an autograph so could care less.

The players are kept away from the fans for the most part other than those autograph sessions which I think should be changed so fans have MORE access to them, but not sure how they'd work that.

Our group has dwindled as well which is kind of sad but it was great seeing those who made it out. Like I've said nothing will be the same as it was before and during the Cup run. Things/people change.... that's why we should cherrish those memories.

All that said I still wouldn't pay to go to the event. Especially not 70 bucks....

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thanks for the report RK. That fighters seminar sounds really cool. Any notable one-liners?

R K

Thanks for the report RK. That fighters seminar sounds really cool. Any notable one-liners?

He was very touched when someone asked him a question referring to Probert. They battled for a LONG time both as Hawks Vs Wings and then Wings Vs Hawks.

Carcillo was pretty funny too.... "I only get in trouble when I think about what I'm doing, actually ANY time I think about what I'm doing".

I like that guy more and more!

Was nice seeing the old guys walking outside the Hotel last night. Was sad none fo the band wagon Hawk fans seeking autograghs knew who the fuck any of them were. Including Larmer who walked by twice, with me the ONLY ONE saying hi to him.

R K

Carcillo also has a meeting this week in Toronto with Shanahan about suspensions.rules I wonder if ALL players who were suspended last year have a mandatory meeting or something. I didn't see him outside the seminar so didn't have a chance to ask what it was all about.

In a few seminars there were questions asked about Torres and retalliation but Mayers said it best, "with the instigator rule we are limited in that if they don't want to fight, they won't". Maybe we should get rid of that rule.

Mayers has some brains as well. No doubt about it.

jakobeast

Liked Posts:
I wouldn't mind going to a few of the seminars, but I can't give them anymore money. Not that it matters anyway, as they don't check you badges/tickets.

It is always good to see board members, whether all the way from the O board days to new guys on here. It was thin this year for sure.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I went the first year and havnt went since. Hard to believe this is the 5th one already

Did McDick get booed?

R K

also they talked about the difference in enforces, or fighting in todays game vs yesteryear. In that those guys, like Grimson were not asked to do much else where todays fighters are asked to contribute in many other aspects of the game. So where as Grimson might have averaged 3-5 TOI, todays fighters might get 9-12 TOI per game.

They also talked about concussions, Helmets/Visors during fights, and a bunch more. Glad I went to that one, but I wanted to hear Grimson talk as this is his first convention.

they invited Belfour this year but h had other plans. Maybe next year. I never knew he and Hasek never liked each other.

R K

I went the first year and havnt went since. Hard to believe this is the 5th one already

Did McDick get booed?

Ironically they did not intro ANY of the brass at the opening Cermony. I'm sure by design.

Yea Jako I had my pass in my pocket all weekend. No one asked for it. Although most know who I am.

Rex

Chief Blackcock
Liked Posts:
also they talked about the difference in enforces, or fighting in todays game vs yesteryear. In that those guys, like Grimson were not asked to do much else where todays fighters are asked to contribute in many other aspects of the game. So where as Grimson might have averaged 3-5 TOI, todays fighters might get 9-12 TOI per game.

They also talked about concussions, Helmets/Visors during fights, and a bunch more. Glad I went to that one, but I wanted to hear Grimson talk as this is his first convention.

they invited Belfour this year but h had other plans. Maybe next year. I never knew he and Hasek never liked each other.

you didn't know that? lol Belfour hated every backup he's ever had.

If Belfour comes next season, I'll fucking be there.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He was very touched when someone asked him a question referring to Probert. They battled for a LONG time both as Hawks Vs Wings and then Wings Vs Hawks.

Carcillo was pretty funny too.... "I only get in trouble when I think about what I'm doing, actually ANY time I think about what I'm doing".

I like that guy more and more!

Was nice seeing the old guys walking outside the Hotel last night. Was sad none fo the band wagon Hawk fans seeking autograghs knew who the fuck any of them were. Including Larmer who walked by twice, with me the ONLY ONE saying hi to him.

For shame...
<

R K

you didn't know that? lol Belfour hated every backup he's ever had.

If Belfour comes next season, I'll fucking be there.

A friend of mine is very good friends with him still to this day. It was a special thing with Hasek though.

Rex

Chief Blackcock
Liked Posts:
A friend of mine is very good friends with him still to this day. It was a special thing with Hasek though.

I'd love to hear about it. I know Hasek is quite the hot head too.

klemmer

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Fighters seminar with Stu Grimson was excellent I thought. It had Carcillo, Bollig, Mayers and Grimson. Grimson is extremely articulate. I didn't know it took him a year and a half to get over his concussion symptoms after retirement and they ended his career.

The players are kept away from the fans for the most part other than those autograph sessions which I think should be changed so fans have MORE access to them, but not sure how they'd work that.

Last I heard, Grimson is a lawyer in Nashville.

The second point is sad. I would hope that is the purpose behind a convention.

R K

Last I heard, Grimson is a lawyer in Nashville.

The second point is sad. I would hope that is the purpose behind a convention.

Its always been like that. I think the other two conventions, Sox and Cubs are the same way as well. You put a player in that lobby they'd never get out alive.

bri

Liked Posts:
I haven't heard much about the Convention at all this year. I did see Kaner's apology video on NHL.com.