[A] Player Evaluation: Dan Carcillo

Ton

Liked Posts:
Although he missed 54 games last season, we were still able to get a great idea of what Dan 'Car-bomb' Carcillo can bring to the Blackhawks because his character is so vibrant and full of emotion that it spills over when he's on the ice. We only needed a short sample to know that this guy is like a feisty pit bull: he has plenty of bark and a high dose of bite. The mixture was perfect for giving Marian Hossa and Patrick Kane a little bit of extra space as well as protection when needed. At that time, Kane was at the peak of his production and guess what? He was playing at center.

Carcillo appeared in 28 games last season, notching 2 goals and 9 assists as well as a whooping 82 PIM. At times, his emotions rode a bit too high and whether it was positive or negative he was certainly a big influence on the game. Considering the role he plays, he can be fairly productive with his ice-time. Last season he was 7th on the Blackhawks in terms of production time but also consider that he was quite high on the list in terms of playing with quality teammates.

This upcoming season might see a change in Carcillo's role on the team. There is no longer any room for him to see any time with star players as there is a log-jam on the top two lines heading into the season. Most-likely he will be demoted to the 4th line with occasional stints on lines 1-3 if Quenneville is looking for a spark. Don't expect much in terms of production, not even at the rate he produced last season, but he is capable of showing flashes of talent from time to time.

In order for Carcillo to stay in the Blackhawks line-up he'll have to provide that energy and willingness to defend his teammates every night. He has to stay in control and focused because at times he can be reckless -- which hurts himself (literally) and the team. We all know he can hit, agitate, and fight but he gets in trouble when he takes bad penalties and rides too high on emotion. His potential is higher than someone such as Adam Burish as far as effectiveness, but his downside could also be worse depending on which end of the spectrum you get with Carcillo night in and night out.

Many were mad at him for his reckless behavior shortly before he was injured, but the reality is, he'll win over the majority of the fan-base as soon as he takes his first shift on the ice much like he did in his first 25 games as a Blackhawk. Ultimately, you want a guy like this playing for your team, it's a gamble but the payoff through a full season could work especially if Joel Quenneville knows how to keep this dog on a leash.

PREDICTION: 66 GAMES | 8 GOALS | 9 ASSISTS | 17 POINTS | 178 PIM | MINUS-4

Click here to view the article

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
Just play him on the 4th line so LWers like Saad (if he makes the club) and Stalberg can develop better getting the minutes on the top 3 lines and I'm happy. Really interesting to see what will happen to the left side if all the lwers stay healthy this season. Might actually be room to move Sharp to center? Not to bring that debate back up again...but could be a possibility?

CLWolf81

Fan Captain
Liked Posts:
I'm still waiting for Stu to slobber and drool all over his favorite Blackhawk.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ton you slob... I was going to write this one!!

Shut up Wolf!!!

<

supraman

Liked Posts:
For the record this entire thread is invalid. Ton did not predict number of suspensions and how many games lost to suspend therefore this evaluation is void.

BiscuitintheBasket

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ton you slob... I was going to write this one!!

Shut up Wolf!!!

<

You COULD have written it if you were not so busy spanking and slobbering to the 100's of Carcillo and Scott photos you have hanging up at home. Just sayin'

CLWolf81

Fan Captain
Liked Posts:
There will be some Nash photos on his wall soon enough to go along with the Scott and Carcillo ones. He'll be spanking and drooling to those too...

And Stu, why in the world did you post a video of Carcillo getting his ass kicked? Sure he protects Kane in the vid, and thats his job.... But isn't there one where he doesn't get his ass kicked in a fight?

Chief Walking Stick

Donator
Liked Posts:
Yea didn't he beat up one of the Hawks a couple years ago? Was it Jake Dowell? Other then that, no... He usually gets his ass kicked just like Adam Burish did.

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
Yea didn't he beat up one of the Hawks a couple years ago? Was it Jake Dowell? Other then that, no... He usually gets his ass kicked just like Adam Burish did.

Showing that you give a shit about whats going on on the ice is more important than winning the fight any day in my opinion. It's the spark from guys like Carcillo that I like not that they are going to re-organze someones face like Scott did (dont get me wrong that was fun too). My fav of all time Stu Grimson never won every fight but boy did he give a shit about the game and the crap going on around him and his team mates. Carcillo is a team player who is lucky enough to posses a small skill set to boot. I like him. But like I said he needs to be used where he belongs. He isn't a top 2 line player. He can be used there when a spark is needed or when he is on a hot streak but other than just stick him where he belongs.

Rex

Chief Blackcock
Liked Posts:

he pounded the piss out of Bertuzzi this season

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
Showing that you give a shit about whats going on on the ice is more important than winning the fight any day in my opinion. It's the spark from guys like Carcillo that I like not that they are going to re-organze someones face like Scott did (dont get me wrong that was fun too). My fav of all time Stu Grimson never won every fight but boy did he give a shit about the game and the crap going on around him and his team mates. Carcillo is a team player who is lucky enough to posses a small skill set to boot. I like him. But like I said he needs to be used where he belongs. He isn't a top 2 line player. He can be used there when a spark is needed or when he is on a hot streak but other than just stick him where he belongs.

While I used to watch older Hawks fight my uncle used to tell me "It's not who wins the fight, but that he showed up".

Usually this is after the zamboni guys were shaving the blood out of the ice.

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
I like Carcillo and what he can bring to this team.

He plays with an edge and can play a regular shift. His aggression can get the best of him at times and hurt the team penalty wise, but I think he was doing more good than harm before his injury. I don't know what it is with Q, but he kept Carcillo on a short leash, which isn't Carcillo's game. I remember one game in particular that Carcillo was finally given an okay, and whoever the hawks were up against had been beating on Toews and Kane. Finally, someone gave Toews an extra shot and Carcillo just snapped on him. After that Toews and Kane got some space. Want to say this happened on the Blues, but wasn't an actual fight, just roughings.

With the team being as deep as it is, Carcillo can play on the 4th line and if needed can be bumped up when teams are taking shots on the Hawks core.

Carcillo-Mayers-Bollig would be an awesome 4th line.

R K

But he's a lot more skilled than Burish IMO....

Reeves is a POS on a POS team. Fuck the Blues....

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
But he's a lot more skilled than Burish IMO....

Reeves is a POS on a POS team. Fuck the Blues....

Carcillo is more skilled than Burish in about 99.9% of eveyone's opinion... except Burish's im sure.

Chief Walking Stick

Donator
Liked Posts:
Carcillo is more skilled than Burish in about 99.9% of eveyone's opinion... except Burish's im sure.

Carcillo could become a lesser version of Scott Hartnell if he had the brain cells for it.

supraman

Liked Posts:

I'd still take Burish over Carcillo. Hard to show that skill from the press box.

Central Standard

Liked Posts:
If he could learn play on just this side of the "line," he could be pushing others for more ice time and produce twice as many points than predicted. Not sure if he can, but I'd like to see it.

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
I'd still take Burish over Carcillo. Hard to show that skill from the press box.

Hence why you are not a GM.

In his brief audition Carcillo played very well. He was in the press box because he was injured. You have to take chances in order to win. Burish doesn't have that offensive potential Carcillo does.

supraman

Liked Posts:
Hence why you are not a GM.

In his brief audition Carcillo played very well. He was in the press box because he was injured. You have to take chances in order to win. Burish doesn't have that offensive potential Carcillo does.

Wait I don't see you with the GM tag either