Michael Silver: " Bears offensive players believe Clausen will "light it up"

Mr. Jones

Liked Posts:
Ok?

Cutler stinks and the FO missed it.

Your point?
My point is in response to Jay Cutler being a shitty QB, and laying the blame where it belongs, on the FO. I honestly think you, I and others can agree with this, and it really is a mute point imo, it's just that some are seemingly trying to blame Cutler for not performing like an "elite" QB because he got elite money..I'm past that shit, and more curious in how far the ownership is willing to go to fix the latest laughing stock of the NFL..

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My point is in response to Jay Cutler being a shitty QB, and laying the blame where it belongs, on the FO. I honestly think you, I and others can agree with this, and it really is a mute point imo, it's just that some are seemingly trying to blame Cutler for not performing like an "elite" QB because he got elite money..I'm past that shit, and more curious in how far the ownership is willing to go to fix the latest laughing stock of the NFL..

No it's not a "mute point" because such a thing doesn't exist. The blame belongs on Jay Cutler too.

Like I said. Cutler stinks. The FO missed it.

Both are to blame.

da_bears6

Liked Posts:
No it's not a "mute point" because such a thing doesn't exist. The blame belongs on Jay Cutler too.

Both are to blame.

Not really. Cutler is the same guy. Been the same guy. Will always be the same guy. Giving him a pay raise does not make him a different guy. They tried to surround him with more weapons but it didn't work. Because, surprise, he's the same guy.

Emery or whoever wanted this contract written up deserves the blame. If we had decided to extend Major Wright to be the highest paid safety in football last year would you be mad at him for being the same guy?

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not really. Cutler is the same guy. Been the same guy. Will always be the same guy. Giving him a pay raise does not make him a different guy. They tried to surround him with more weapons but it didn't work. Because, surprise, he's the same guy.
So Cutler refusing to get better means Cutler isn't to blame for not getting better.

Great.

This has jumped the shark. Now it's not Cutler's fault he wasn't better. it was the FO's fault b/c they chose to pay him.

Last edited:

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Why do people persist with this whole "blaming everything on Jay" garbage?

Who is saying you guys are blaming everything on Cutler?

Ok, direct answer. Mr Jones did, which prompted my comment. Desbro complains about it all the time. Bearsbud is always posting hypothetical nonsense about how the Bears will give up 50 points everyone will blame Jay.

There is plenty of whining on this board about the misattribution of blame towards Jay Cutler, even though it doesn't happen. Jay gets blamed for the things that are Jay's fault.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
So Cutler refusing to get better means Cutler isn't to blame for not getting better.

Great.

This has jumped the shark. Now it's not Cutler's fault he wasn't better. it was the FO's fault b/c they chose to pay him.
6a00d8341c652b53ef010536b4d83c970b-800wi

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ok, direct answer. Mr Jones did, which prompted my comment. Desbro complains about it all the time. Bearsbud is always posting hypothetical nonsense about how the Bears will give up 50 points everyone will blame Jay.

There is plenty of whining on this board about the misattribution of blame towards Jay Cutler, even though it doesn't happen. Jay gets blamed for the things that are Jay's fault.
Dude. Nothing is Jay's fault. Jay is just being man. He's just a dude. It's not Jay's fault he refuses to quit throwing like Kerry Wood. It's the Bears FO fault for enabling him by paying him money.

Jay is to blame for not doing the needed work to become a better QB. The FO is to blame for paying him the money they did. It's both.

da_bears6

Liked Posts:

Great.

I don't think he's refusing. He's just as good as he's ever going to be and now with his age he will probably slowly get worse. Some guys just never get better. You see it all the time with high school and college athletes. Same applies to the NFL. If all it took was some coaching to turn a guy like Cutler into a guy like Rodgers somebody would have figured out that coaching method by now. It doesn't exist. He's maxed out. Peaked. Give him 5 Pro-Bowl receivers and you will likely see the same results. He'd do better with 5 Pro-Bowlers on the o-line and a strong running game. He's not a franchise QB just because we want him to be or because the Bears paid him to be.

Willis1524

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think he's refusing. He's just as good as he's ever going to be and now with his age he will probably slowly get worse. Some guys just never get better. You see it all the time with high school and college athletes. Same applies to the NFL. If all it took was some coaching to turn a guy like Cutler into a guy like Rodgers somebody would have figured out that coaching method by now. It doesn't exist. He's maxed out. Peaked. Give him 5 Pro-Bowl receivers and you will likely see the same results. He'd do better with 5 Pro-Bowlers on the o-line and a strong running game. He's not a franchise QB just because we want him to be or because the Bears paid him to be.

Agree to most of this, except the red. The opposite could be true. Doubtful, but if the main problem with Cutler is having too much confidence in his arm strength, when that starts to diminish(if it does, not really sure) it may force him to take a different look at things. After thinking more about the QB's who were benched and then excelled afterward I wonder if it is Gannon. I'm not too sure about his history, but wasn't he already getting up there in age when he went to the Raiders and blew up?

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think he's refusing.
He has to be. I promise you he is.

You know how we ALL should know this?

Because Jay has tried before and just given up on it. Under Martz. Remember when Martz had him working on proper footwork and drops? Remember the big deal over that?

Remember how he did it for a few weeks then reverted back to form? This is a perfect example of Jay having the ability to improve, the ability to get better, but he doesn't have the work ethic to make it happen on a fundamental level. Jay's flaws are correctable but they take time and effort. Things he's not willing to put in to fix them.

If Jay fixed his footwork and mechanics and fundamentals he'd improve..IMO pretty remarkably.

Willis1524

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Because Jay has tried before and just given up on it. Under Martz. Remember when Martz had him working on proper footwork and drops? Remember the big deal over that?

Remember how he did it for a few weeks then reverted back to form? This is a perfect example of Jay having the ability to improve, the ability to get better, but he doesn't have the work ethic to make it happen on a fundamental level. Jay's flaws are correctable but they take time and effort. Things he's not willing to put in to fix them.

If Jay fixed his footwork and mechanics and fundamentals he'd improve..IMO pretty remarkably.

Do you thinks its possible that he may when his arm strength starts to decline?

da_bears6

Liked Posts:
Agree to most of this, except the red. The opposite could be true. Doubtful, but if the main problem with Cutler is having too much confidence in his arm strength, when that starts to diminish(if it does, not really sure) it may force him to take a different look at things. After thinking more about the QB's who were benched and then excelled afterward I wonder if it is Gannon. I'm not too sure about his history, but wasn't he already getting up there in age when he went to the Raiders and blew up?

I think guys like Gannon and Warner(the 2nd time) are most likely the exception and not the rule. I don't think Cutler has ever had the mental knack for the game in game situations. I'm sure he gets it all in the QB room, when watching film and can identify all the defenses but in a game it's like sensory overload and it's too much for him. There is a reason these guys are paid millions of dollars even when they're not very good. There is a QB shortage and the market reflects that.

Mr. Jones

Liked Posts:

Both are to blame.
I said the same thing about Cutler, and the FO, why can't you understand that the FO ie Emery should have known Cutler wasn't the answer. Cutler didn't sign himself to the outrageously unearned deal or rip the checkbook out of the McCaskey's hands. Like I and many others have said, Cutler sucks, didn't deserve the contract, and Emery and the FO are stupid dicks for thinking so..Grammatical error aside, what's your point?

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:

Not all his flaws are correctable, sure he could clean up his mechanics, but hell never have anticipation, pocket presence, or the ability to read Ds on the fly while making quick accurate reads. He just doesn't have the mental ability to make it happen on the field. I mean this is a guy wholl stare at a free rusher waiting for the sack rather than throw to a wide open receiver, or will hold onto the ball during a screen to take a sack.

da_bears6

Liked Posts:
You can suck in Chicago as long as you look good doing it and are not over paid.

Reactions: Myk