I bet Emery and Trestman both wish they had McCown now

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Just to be clear, absolutely no one wishes they had McCown at QB. After one miraculous stretch he's right back to throwing more picks than TDs (he has a .625 TD to turnover ratio this year), as is his career norm. Why do some people refuse to accept the fact that he's a terrible QB?

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Just to be clear, absolutely no one wishes they had McCown at QB. After one miraculous stretch he's right back to throwing more picks than TDs (he has a .625 TD to turnover ratio this year), as is his career norm. Why do some people refuse to accept the fact that he's a terrible QB?

Perhaps Trestman's system was perfect for him?

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Perhaps Trestman's system was perfect for him?
I actually believe this. But even so his numbers weren't sustainable. And he was never going to last very long.

The real plan should have been to keep McCown, draft QB. However I dont believe Trestman is cut out to be a head coach anyways. Soooo perhaps it dosent matter.

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
Why are people so giddy about McCown?

He had 5 nice games - largely against some of the worst teams/defenses in the league - for ONE season. ONE.

He's a 36 year old journeyman QB who was out of football. Because of 5 games against shit teams, he's magically going to run the offense like a well oiled machine?

The 5 game run was a fluke. When you look at the whole of McCown's career - it was a complete fluke - the way McCown is playing this year and particularly what you saw in the Bears/TB game is PRECISELY the QB Josh McCown is.

Phenomenally nice guy. Not the answer.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Why are people so giddy about McCown?

He had 5 nice games - largely against some of the worst teams/defenses in the league - for ONE season. ONE.

He's a 36 year old journeyman QB who was out of football. Because of 5 games against shit teams, he's magically going to run the offense like a well oiled machine?

The 5 game run was a fluke. When you look at the whole of McCown's career - it was a complete fluke - the way McCown is playing this year and particularly what you saw in the Bears/TB game is PRECISELY the QB Josh McCown is.

Phenomenally nice guy. Not the answer.

Evenso...his QB play is the best we've had since Luckman

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:

Bingo. And let's REALLY look. I have the Dallas game on DVR. I've watched it a couple of times. Dallas literally dropped 4 easy picks. 4. Scandrick had two. Two of those almost picks were in end zone including one right before the Alshon catch. Now I know, 'almost picks' don't count, but any team in the NFL makes those picks and the numbers looks different.

Also, he had 13 TDs. Realize that two of those were two of the most unbelievable Alshon circus catches ever. Hardly perfectly thrown balls.

It was a nice little flukey run, but that's all it was.

He's playing horrible this year with two GREAT wide receivers. He's getting paid almost $5M to do it. He's 36.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The offense scored more points, the turnovers were down 80%, and MCown went 3-2 while Cutler went 5-6.

Once again, every thing you say is false or irrelevant.

McCown went 3-3, stop trying to force the Redskins game on Cutler. Yes we scored more yet still lose to bottom barrel teams when the offense sputtered down the stretch,.McCown played some of the worst defense in the league that year and a Packers team that lost Rodgers but still managed to give us a hard time,. McCown has been nothing but a loser his whole career while throwin more int's than td's until his magical run ans it's stupid to assume he would continue anywhere near that year based on six games

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Bingo. And let's REALLY look. I have the Dallas game on DVR. I've watched it a couple of times. Dallas literally dropped 4 easy picks. 4. Scandrick had two. Two of those almost picks were in end zone including one right before the Alshon catch. Now I know, 'almost picks' don't count, but any team in the NFL makes those picks and the numbers looks different.

Also, he had 13 TDs. Realize that two of those were two of the most unbelievable Alshon circus catches ever. Hardly perfectly thrown balls.

It was a nice little flukey run, but that's all it was.

He's playing horrible this year with two GREAT wide receivers. He's getting paid almost $5M to do it. He's 36.

Hope you're not referring to the TD catch against Minnesota. That was a great throw and a great adjustment by Jefferies

Bearshomer

Liked Posts:
McCown went 3-3, stop trying to force the Redskins game on Cutler.

To begin with it isn't even debatable. It was Cutler's start so which makes it his game and counts as a loss on his record. Outside of that, Cutler yet again forced the fan base to watch an awful performance, going 3/8 for 28 yards with an interception returned for a touchdown. McCown meanwhile went 14/20 for 204 yards with a touchdown and no turnovers. McCown played a great game while Cutler had an 8 rating on he game. Had Cutler not been awful before getting hurt, the Bears win the game and make the playoffs.

Yes we scored more yet still lose to bottom barrel teams when the offense sputtered down the stretch

The offense scored 27, 23, 21, 20, and 45 with McCown. They had their best game in McCown's final start and were otherwise consistent. McCown had 5 touchdowns, 1 interception, and over 600 passing yards in the two losses, meaning better numbers than Cutler has ever put up in back to back games in his career.

And a Packers team that lost Rodgers but still managed to give us a hard time

McCown plays their defense and he also posted a better stat line than Cutler has ever posted against them in his career. That also gives him as many wins against the Packers as Cutler has in 13 games.

McCown has been nothing but a loser his whole career while throwin more int's than td's until his magical run ans it's stupid to assume he would continue anywhere near that year based on six games

Everybody knows that. But he would have been a five million dollar bad quarterback instead of an 18 million dollar bad quarterback.

Milton Waddams

Liked Posts:
The difference between the O lighting it up last year and sucking this year isn't McCown/Cutler. It's the league catching up to Trestman, and him not being able to adjust. Same thing happened to Crowton in '99/2000. The BEARS would've saved a lot of money by going with McCown over Cutler. It's easy to say in hindsight that they should've gone with McCown and drafted HTJ (or whomever). But you lose any credibility if you say that the offense would still be ballin' with McCown this year.

He played great last year, and he should get credit for that. But it was an aberration. There's no way he maintains a 13 TD/1 INT pace ever again. We've seen backups come in and play well for a minute or several games, then fizzle out long term (Rob Johnson, Jeff Hostetler, Billy Volek, Charlie Whitehurst, Matt Flynn, Matt Cassel). McCown belongs in that list. He's a good guy to have on your team, like Orton. He's a career backup, nothing more.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:

Kazu2324

Liked Posts:
I doubt McCown would help with the number of idiotic penalties we get on O that also kills drives. McCown also did well because the line played pretty well last year. This year, not so much, and look how he's doing with that shit O-Line in Tampa. We're not quite that bad, but I don't think McCown would be doing all too much better this year. The whole team's gone to the shitters.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
I doubt McCown would help with the number of idiotic penalties we get on O that also kills drives. McCown also did well because the line played pretty well last year. This year, not so much, and look how he's doing with that shit O-Line in Tampa. We're not quite that bad, but I don't think McCown would be doing all too much better this year. The whole team's gone to the shitters.

Wut?

I remember him standing in the pocket and getting hit often, while delivering a nice slant pass for a first down.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It wouldn't make much difference which is actually a slam on Jay but what if he did do better and we were mediocre instead of bad? Do we keep this regime and call it an off year?:shot: