Bernstein: "There should be more developments over the weekend ..."

85Bears

Formerly known as 85Bears
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is like reality TV. Even though they suck, I'm hooked. And I definitely want to tune in next year to see who's in charge and whether or not they'll be able to turn it around.

85Bears

Formerly known as 85Bears
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just had a thought.

If I were in Trestman's shoes, I'd want to know what was going on. Almost everyone in the media is predicting he's out. Halas Hall doesn't exist in a vacuum, so of course Trestman has seen almost everyone with "sources" say he's out. If I was him, I'd march into Emery's office (or Ted's, or George's) and demand to know what's going on with my job.

It's possible he's done that and has been told already that he won't be here 10 days from now, but they've asked him to just hold down the fort. If that's true, it should make the next couple games interesting. The benching of Cutler was interesting enough, but if I was HC and I didn't give a fuck, I'd start to get really weird with my play calling.

#entertainment

EDIT: Yes, I know his play calling is already really weird (and in many cases stupid). But maybe "weird" to him is "good play calling" to a normal coach. ("2nd down and 3 yards to go? I'm NOT going to kick a field goal! HA! That'll show 'em")

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Well I think we are in the minority, but this is how I feel too. Regardless of what anyone says, Jay Cutler has shown the ability to win games. There were a couple of seasons where we looked headed in the right direction before unfortunate injuries. Who the hell are we going to bring in next year at QB if not Jay? I think they bring back Jay, draft a kid, and take a look at some veterans. Who knows maybe Fales looks like a competent backup next year. I can't see the organization just eating money by trading Cutty He probably gets one last year. Next years free agent crop sucks. Maybe Sanchez or Locker could come in and play, but Sanchez has already been in Jay Cutler's shoes in New York, and Locker can't stay healthy. I wouldn't want to rely on either. I trust Jay more than anyone on this list, might not be saying much, but still.

QB Ryan Lindley ARI 26
QB T.J. Yates ATL 28
QB Tyrod Taylor BAL 26
QB Joe Webb CAR 29
QB Jimmy Clausen CHI 28
QB Jason Campbell CIN 34
QB Brian Hoyer CLE 30
QB Kellen Moore DET 26
QB Dan Orlovsky DET 32
QB Matt Flynn GB 30
QB Scott Tolzien GB 28
QB Matt Moore MIA 31
QB Christian Ponder MIN 27
QB Ryan Mallett NE 27
QB Luke McCown NO 34
QB Michael Vick NYJ 35
QB Mark Sanchez PHI 29
QB Matt Hasselbeck SEA 40
QB Tarvaris Jackson SEA 32
QB Terrelle Pryor SEA 26
QB Blaine Gabbert SF 26
QB Josh Johnson SF 29
QB Austin Davis STL 26
QB Shaun Hill STL 35
QB Jake Locker TEN 27
QB Colt McCoy WAS 29

Trestman didn't need to take the job and a smart coach doesn't if he thinks the QB he's stuck with is shit. Everybody over complicates what's going on here. Trestman could have benched Jay at any time, or Shea for that matter. He even rushed Jay back from dings last year and had plenty of excuses to hold him out for extra games. Trestman has been as much a fail as anyone else in this scenario. A top HC understands what he's got in Jay and runs an O to suit him better. I'm not defending jay here either but Trestman has not done himself any favors with his coordination or play calling.

Major Ursa

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Utah State Aggies
Trestman didn't need to take the job and a smart coach doesn't if he thinks the QB he's stuck with is shit. Everybody over complicates what's going on here. Trestman could have benched Jay at any time, or Shea for that matter. He even rushed Jay back from dings last year and had plenty of excuses to hold him out for extra games. Trestman has been as much a fail as anyone else in this scenario. A top HC understands what he's got in Jay and runs an O to suit him better. I'm not defending jay here either but Trestman has not done himself any favors with his coordination or play calling.

Agreed

MaoTenDoo

Rabid Homer
Donator
Liked Posts:

Trestman was hired before Cutler's extension. Hell, he even delayed the signing a season. Who's to say he didn't resist against the contract, but was strong-armed to comply. If he's as passive as he seems, it wouldn't take too much effort. It seems pretty obvious to me that he already knows he's been fired. The next two games will be interesting.

Notso

Liked Posts:
Holmgren as Head Coach would be a very frightening choice... for the rest of the NFCN. I saw somebody posted that Holmgren rode Favre's coat tails. That's woefully incorrect. Holmgren got more out of Favre than anyone else did and he did it be keeping Favre on a short leash. Hell, he might even be able to fix Cutler or at least get something out of him while grooming the next guy, as Cutler plays out the next year of his contract.

engbear

Liked Posts:
He probably won't be offered a Head Coaching job and I wouldn't want him as one but I'd like to see Rex Ryan in here as DC. You sure as hell wouldn't see the passive shit we've been watching for the last 10 years....fucking cover 2 bullshit.

To run his defense you need 2 cover corners or it won't be as effective

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Why don't we trade Jay for a bag of balls, draft a kid in the next draft, and develop him into a stud like 50% of the other god damn NFL teams do. I know it's a crazy fucking thought but ...

Everyone acts like it is impossible to draft, develop, trade for a QB better than Jay. Well 15-17 teams in the NFL have done it recently.

I don't assume that the Bears are somehow cursed, they have just had the wrong people making the decision.

That being said if we get a compentent HC and GM and they decide to keep Jay for a year while they try and find their guy I am cool with that too.

If they decide to trade Jay and wait till 2016 to draft a QB I am fine with that as well.

Get good people in here and then let them find their guy.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Who knows, but it could be anything. Maybe Bears wanna see what Clausen has to use him in a trade of some sort as they look to get rid of him and Jay and possibly get a new GM, HC, which would also lead to a big QB signing (probably via draft).

:doorrofl:

JeffChrist

Liked Posts:
Despite his ineffectiveness, I've gotten used to Jay's athleticism and will miss it quite a bit. But I would not be sad to see him go because this has gone on for long enough. I don't know if I'm mentally ready to get back into the QB search game again though.

policeman

Son of beech
Liked Posts:
What if they keep all 3 of them? Have you considered that?

What if they clone all three of them and those three are with the Bears in perpetuity? Have you considered that?

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
What if they clone all three of them and those three are with the Bears in perpetuity? Have you considered that?

Except JimJohnson's question was entirely plausible and something that the posters on this board need to PLAN for. It should be the EXPECTATION that they'll keep both. I don't think it was Emery or Trestman that was enamored with Cutler, I think it was George.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Except JimJohnson's question was entirely plausible and something that the posters on this board need to PLAN for. It should be the EXPECTATION that they'll keep both. I don't think it was Emery or Trestman that was enamored with Cutler, I think it was George.

What exactly is this planning they need to do? As if that will alter anything in any outcomes? Everyone's basically considered it since a majority of people expected it still until a couple weeks ago.

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
What exactly is this planning they need to do? As if that will alter anything in any outcomes? Everyone's basically considered it since a majority of people expected it still until a couple weeks ago.

Mentally plan so they aren't drop dead disappointed when they aren't fired.

shoopster

BANNED
Donator
Liked Posts:
Stranger how? People might be getting fired? Is that so strange?

After just two years in the Bears organization, yes.

But what is really strange is the turn the last four weeks have taken. It was incomprehensible a month ago that any of these guys were going anywhere - now Trestman is surely gone, Emery likely gone, and Cutler potentially gone.

The way all of this has come about it bizarre. Kromer crying in front of the team, the Bears leaking "buyers remorse" about Cutler and Marshall turning on his BFF and criticizing him via twitter.

Considering the type of controlled organization the Bears were under Lovie Smith, Dick Jauron, even Wannstedt, you have to go back to the Ditka years to find this kind of chaos, and Ditka courted the chaos intentionally and used it for his own purposes. This year - particularly the second half - has been out of control, which is very unusual for the Bears.

The truth has been stranger than fiction - no one ever could have imagined an assistant coach leaking criticism of the sacred cow franchise quarterback and then tearfully apologizing for it in front of the team, for instance. It's been fascinatingly embarrassing.

Reactions: LuC

shoopster

BANNED
Donator
Liked Posts:
Questions:

1. Are you saying, that Super Bernstein said the McKaskeys are calling Mike Holmgren? For what purpose?

2. How can Emery stay on under a Holmgren type? McCaskeys are active owners, and Emery is the GM. What position is there for a Holmgren type?

Hub was the one who suggested the Bears "are using the phones," and mentioned Holmgren. He also wrote a column in Friday's Sun-Times suggesting the Bears contact Holmgren. On the radio, he was strongly hinting that Holmgren is being considered by "the family."

Hub suggested Holmgren would come in as President of Football Operations, moving Phillips aside to business matters (which he's also strongly advocated for for a while now), above Emery, and essentially turn Emery into an errand boy, or even keep him on as a scout, where he's proven to be useful. Hub likes Emery, and has suggested a few times over the months that Emery could be reassigned, which I don't agree with - the guy needs to go as well, and I've never seen a situation where a guy is demoted from such a high profile position and kept on. Hopefully Hub isn't hearing this proposal from his sources, though it does sound like the type of weird idea the McCaskeys would consider.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
After just two years in the Bears organization, yes.

But what is really strange is the turn the last four weeks have taken. It was incomprehensible a month ago that any of these guys were going anywhere - now Trestman is surely gone, Emery likely gone, and Cutler potentially gone.

The way all of this has come about it bizarre. Kromer crying in front of the team, the Bears leaking "buyers remorse" about Cutler and Marshall turning on his BFF and criticizing him via twitter.

Considering the type of controlled organization the Bears were under Lovie Smith, Dick Jauron, even Wannstedt, you have to go back to the Ditka years to find this kind of chaos, and Ditka courted the chaos intentionally and used it for his own purposes. This year - particularly the second half - has been out of control, which is very unusual for the Bears.

The truth has been stranger than fiction - no one ever could have imagined an assistant coach leaking criticism of the sacred cow franchise quarterback and then tearfully apologizing for it in front of the team, for instance. It's been hilariously embarrassing.

lol, drama much?

Sounds like you have been on the BnB train and are now more invested in the ups and downs of day to day speculation that actual developments within the org.

Team had a shitty year and now there are going to be consequences. Whoopty do. Only strange thing is how wrapped up you are with milking secondary drama. Are you going to write a Bears fanfic!? Be sure to link it!

Josh2J

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
meanwhile at the McCaskey's house...

KZFSwGD.gif

shoopster

BANNED
Donator
Liked Posts:
lol, drama much?

Sounds like you have been on the BnB train and are now more invested in the ups and downs of day to day speculation that actual developments within the org.

Team had a shitty year and now there are going to be consequences. Whoopty do. Only strange thing is how wrapped up you are with milking secondary drama. Are you going to write a Bears fanfic!? Be sure to link it!

Bears are creating the drama, not me or anyone else. We're simply commenting on it, which is what this board is for.

As for what myself and others are discussing, they ARE the actual developments within the organization according to professionals paid to cover the organization. We're forced to discuss this because of the "shitty season" the team had on the field.

If you don't want to talk about it, then what are you doing here?