Ben Zobrist

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
i just dont see zobrist who is 34 on a walk year getting dealt for a top spec which is the asking price. they wont throw him away i agree but a top spec as reports indicate is a bit much.

Sent from My Iphone 6 Plus Using Tapatalk

You could be right, could be why the deal with SF which was reported as nearly done weeks ago didn't get done. The asking price is said to be 2 top 20 organizational prospects with one being top 10. The top 10 Cubs prospect that keeps popping up is Gleyber Torres, currently the Cubs #8 prospect according to BA.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
You could be right, could be why the deal with SF which was reported as nearly done weeks ago didn't get done. The asking price is said to be 2 top 20 organizational prospects with one being top 10. The top 10 Cubs prospect that keeps popping up is Gleyber Torres, currently the Cubs #8 prospect according to BA.

I would like to acquire Zobrist, but he isn't such a huge difference maker, is he?

I wouldn't do it. I'd part with prospects for Cole Hamels, but for 1 year of a 34 year old position player who is not significantly better than what we have? No.

I would be happy to get a guy like that for depth and mentoring, and all. But the price needs to be low.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I would like to acquire Zobrist, but he isn't such a huge difference maker, is he?

I wouldn't do it. I'd part with prospects for Cole Hamels, but for 1 year of a 34 year old position player who is not significantly better than what we have? No.

I would be happy to get a guy like that for depth and mentoring, and all. But the price needs to be low.
A player who is theoretically at least 3-4 years away from Wrigley is replaceable. Is losing Torres that big of a deal to get Zobrist? Agreed that I wouldn't give up another top 10. I'm not sure I would give them anyone inside the top 20 after Torres. Regardless, TB isn't going to get what they are asking for.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
A player who is theoretically at least 3-4 years away from Wrigley is replaceable. Is losing Torres that big of a deal to get Zobrist? Agreed that I wouldn't give up another top 10. I'm not sure I would give them anyone inside the top 20 after Torres. Regardless, TB isn't going to get what they are asking for.

I'd actually be a bit surprised if Torres ever reaches Wrigley to be honest but the fact at 18 years old scouts and national writers are already singing his praises and he's soon to be a top 100 prospect is telling. I'm with TL1961 here, I wouldn't give him up for a rental and he could be key in acquiring pitching down the line. Vogelbach I'd give up. He's never likely to be as valuable as a SS prospect and we all know he's not likely to be a Cub. I just don't see Tampa Bay being all that excited about him.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

I agree Torres for Zobrist would hardly be terrible. I am certainly not predicting Torres becomes a superstar. But Zobrist at 34 with one year of control is the issue more than the specific player they trade. Actually, fans seldom want to see a prospect traded, but we are usually OK with it once the trade is made.

And, just for fun, I am watching the HOF discussion, and they mentioned that the three first ballot electees were all traded early in their careers. :)

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I'd actually be a bit surprised if Torres ever reaches Wrigley to be honest but the fact at 18 years old scouts and national writers are already singing his praises and he's soon to be a top 100 prospect is telling. I'm with TL1961 here, I wouldn't give him up for a rental and he could be key in acquiring pitching down the line. Vogelbach I'd give up. He's never likely to be as valuable as a SS prospect and we all know he's not likely to be a Cub. I just don't see Tampa Bay being all that excited about him.

I, like so many others, don't expect to ever see Voglebach in a Cub uniform, and if I do, I expect he's another "softball player" with a bat and no position to play. So ship him to the A.L. when the time is right. But you're right, he's not bringing Zobrist.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I agree Torres for Zobrist would hardly be terrible. I am certainly not predicting Torres becomes a superstar. But Zobrist at 34 with one year of control is the issue more than the specific player they trade. Actually, fans seldom want to see a prospect traded, but we are usually OK with it once the trade is made.

And, just for fun, I am watching the HOF discussion, and they mentioned that the three first ballot electees were all traded early in their careers. :)

I honestly don't care whether they trade Torres or not. I just like the idea of a young, promising SS in the system that other teams might covet. The Cubs are going to need things, probably pitching, as they move into their contention window and he's the kind of piece that some FO falls in loves with and targets.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Zobrist and Yunel Escobar to the A's for John Jaso, current top A's prospect Daniel Robertson and outfielder Boog Powell.

First reported by Susan Slusser. Evan Longoria is now the only remaining player from the 08' Rays World Series team.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
What are the A's doing?

I really have no idea. Their farm is a total debacle. At this point, they traded away their three best prospects (Addison Russell, Bill MicKinney and Daniel Robertson), Dan Straily and some ancillary parts for three-month rentals on Samardzija, Hammel, Lester and some scrap for the opportunity to get bounced in the Wild Card game.

Once they traded Donaldson, I was kind of lost with their direction. I'm sure people will continue to rave that Beane is a genius.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
I always thought Beane was a top notch GM until this offseason. I really don't blame them for the trades they made last season, but the ones this offseason would have me off my rocker if I were an A's fan

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I always thought Beane was a top notch GM until this offseason. I really don't blame them for the trades they made last season, but the ones this offseason would have me off my rocker if I were an A's fan

I agree in the sense that it was clear he felt like the team they had was capable of winning a World Series, so went for it last year knowing that a majority of those players wouldn't return. Still... unloading Donaldson? Then acquiring Zobrist (a fine player, but not Donaldson) AND giving up two of your 10 best prospects (your top prospect, to boot) when he isn't a franchise cornerstone? I'm just not seeing the vision. I guess they could keep Zobrist all year, extend a qualifying offer and try to snag the extra draft pick. I'm jut not seeing how the A's, as currently constructed, can hope to contend this year.

Last edited:

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I agree in the sense that it was clear he felt like the team they had was capable of winning a World Series, so went for it last year knowing that a majority of those players wouldn't return. Still... unloading Donaldson? Then acquiring Zobrist (a fine player, but not Donaldson) AND giving up two of your 10 best prospects (your top prospect, to boot) when he isn't a difference maker? I'm just not seeing the vision. I guess they could keep Zobrist all year, extend a qualifying offer and try to snag the extra draft pick. I'm jut not seeing how the A's, as currently constructed, can hope to contend this year.

I don't think he's done. It's clear that rather than a rebuild Beane has decided to go right back into win now mode but with a whole new team. Beane is endlessly interesting.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I don't want my comments to be perceived like I'm downplaying how good of a player Zobirst is -- since he became a regular in 2009, he's been a consistent 5-6 WAR player who provides sound defense and does everything you could possibly ask of a player well. For a team on the doorstep or an 'expected' contender, he's the perfect guy to plug in to compliment other middle-of-the-order guys. He'd be absolutely perfect for a team like Washington, the Angels, the Cardinals. He's not asked to be "the dude", but to help "the dudes", if that makes any sense.

Maybe I'm just not seeing how this A's team can compete as currently constructed.... I dunno, I'm not a GM. I just don't see it.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Zobrist and Yunel Escobar to the A's for John Jaso, current top A's prospect Daniel Robertson and outfielder Boog Powell.

First reported by Susan Slusser. Evan Longoria is now the only remaining player from the 08' Rays World Series team.

If they're determined to rid themselves of all of the guys from that team, we'll be happy to help!

TL1961

Liked Posts:

Except this offseason is far from over, and he has certainly earned the benefit of the doubt.

He shouldn't be expected to call a presser and announce his intentions ahead of time so people know all along what the end result is expected to be.

Maybe they stink. Maybe they don't. But it's waaaayyy too early for me to be betting against him.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I agree in the sense that it was clear he felt like the team they had was capable of winning a World Series, so went for it last year knowing that a majority of those players wouldn't return. Still... unloading Donaldson? Then acquiring Zobrist (a fine player, but not Donaldson) AND giving up two of your 10 best prospects (your top prospect, to boot) when he isn't a franchise cornerstone? I'm just not seeing the vision. I guess they could keep Zobrist all year, extend a qualifying offer and try to snag the extra draft pick. I'm jut not seeing how the A's, as currently constructed, can hope to contend this year.

Let's wait and see on the Donaldson trade. Everyone wants to rip him for it, but Donaldson had a terrible second half due to a hip injury that he later had surgery for.

He's in the Bay Area. He learned from the Niners that it's always better to get rid of a player too early rather than too late.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Wouldn't mind seeing what the Rays would want for Longoria, then cubs could move Bryant to LF sooner rather then later...