Ballard and Toub?

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Again, I never said a STC cant make for a great HC. Ive simply said the fact that Toub himself having been been passed over a number of times is reason to believe that he might not be viewed a HC material around the league. Hes been a great STC for a long time, and yet hasnt landed a HC gig, despite numerous interviews and talk for a number of season in the past about his being a hot name.

I simply do not think the Bears would even be interested if he didnt happen to be part of the organization in the past. And if the Bears hire him I believe they are the only team that would consider doing so.

I dont get why so many of you expect others to go into this with blind optimism, wtf has this organization done to earn the benefit of the doubt? But go ahead, you have every right to hope for the best. Meanwhile Im going g to expect the worst and maybe Ill happily be wrong.

I don't expect, or want, anyone to go into this with blind optimism. I also don't want to hold it against Toub that one of the teams he excelled for as a coach was the Bears. Why should that be held against him.

I think it's crazy to paint him as a "guy passed over several times". Nobody the Bears are interviewing thus far has ever been a HC,

Toub, as a ST coach, is apparently thought of highly enough to merit HC interviews. How many other ST coaches are on anyone's interview list right now?

He is innovative, reportedly has great focus and attention to detail, and clearly has his players' respect.

Huxster

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He is innovative, reportedly has great focus and attention to detail, and clearly has his players' respect.

All the things a Head Coach needs plus as a ST coach he has had to work with both Ofence and Defence players. Whats not to like.

Icculus

The Great and Knowledgeable
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Army Black Knights
Plus, Toub has ties to the organization in his past, and you know we can't have that.
There is a difference between one man who excelled at his job and was recognized for it and an almost anonymous guy who worked for Angelo until he left to basically answer to Reid.

Rise

Liked Posts:
When the fact of the matter is, no matter who the Bears pick, these same people would be here saying it's the same ole Bears. Some people just want to bleed.

I can't speak for everyone but for myself this is not true.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
University of Texas-El Paso (1986)
Graduate assistant
University of Texas-El Paso (1987–1988)
Strength and conditioning coach
University of Missouri (1989–1998)
University of Missouri (1998–2000)
Defensive line coach
Philadelphia Eagles (2001–2003)
Special teams/Quality control coach
Chicago Bears (2004–2012)
Special teams coordinator
Kansas City Chiefs (2013–present)

Now, I am not anti-Toub, but someone has to explain to me how that resume has so many people so damn sure this guy is going to be a great HC.

I am all ears....??

Also, stop fkn worrying about Cutler and the new coach. Cutler isn't in the long term plans at all right now, and while he might be a place holder for the next yr or yr and a half while we rebuild the team, unless he looks great he is going to be gone by the next time the Bears are contending for anything.

So what if you have big ears. Don't let them bullies tease you.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Toub seems to be respected by both players and coaches he has worked with. Here are a few quotes regarding him being a head coach:

Greg Gabriel of the National Football Post wrote about Toub's attention to detail, saying, "Few are as organized and pay as close attention to detail as Toub. If there is a way to out-scheme an opponent, Dave finds it...Mark my word, Dave Toub will be an excellent head coach in the NFL."

That’s why, following the Chiefs’ season-ending win over the San Diego Chargers on Sunday, Chiefs punter Dustin Colquitt made sure he let special-teams coach Dave Toub — who has interviewed for at least two NFL head coaching jobs in the past — know exactly how Colquitt feels about him.
“I told him after the game, ‘Don’t you be going anywhere on me,’ ” Colquitt said with a laugh. “He’s done a lot of great things in Kansas City. (Coach) Andy (Reid) really trusts Dave. You can see those guys … they have a great monster going on in Kansas City.”

“They know Dave, so I’m sure those are pretty good dots to connect,” Reid said. “You know what I think of Dave. I think he’d be phenomenal. I’d put him in that John Harbaugh category. I think the special-teams coaches are probably as ready as anybody to be head coaches because they have to deal with (the media) and your whole staff. They’re also the ones that don’t seem to become head coaches very often for whatever reason. But I think Dave would do pretty good.
Wow he thinks he'll be PRETTY GOOD.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I'll say this. I'm not thrilled with Toub but if my choice is Del Rio or Toub I'll take my chances with Toub. I still prefer Marrone or Ryan.

Yeah i'm down with Ryan or Marrone but now there's rumors that they don't want Ryan and i have a strong feeling that Marrone will take the Jets job and i think he'll be the first HC signing early to mid this week.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Whats asinine is your assumption that he isnt, while stating it as fact. I never stated that my opinion was fact whereas you are stating yours as such.

The question still needs to be asked, why despite a number of years as a top STC has he never landed a HC job? It is of my opinion that he may not be seen as HC material.

Anyway, I wasnt familiar with Toubs more recent comments on Cutler. That just kind of makes it sound like hell try to make it work with Jay if thats what Phillips/George want and I still feel like Phillips/George are looking for yes men. Hell, Im very pessimisstic about this whole search, but in the end I hope Im dead wrong and I hope whoever the new GM/HC is do a hell of a job. Im just done giving this organization the benefit of the doubt.

I can see and respect what you're saying and how you think of the Bears front office people mainly Teddy and George but all us fans can do is look at the candidates from the outside and what kind of job they did where they worked but we never know what any of them will do in that next step in their lives from coordinator to head coach or from personel man to GM. So what we do is we hope that whatever happens with our next GM and our next head coach and how our next GM does in the draft and free agency and how our next head coach does with leading the men he's given and what kind of respect he gets from his men, but as Chicago Bears fans we need to stand behind the decisions that are made even though i know many fans won't stand behind those decisions if the guys they want aren't hired i know that i will and that's what matters to me. Wow that's some pretty deep shit i'm spewing. lol

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Dave Toub is one of the best, if not the best special teams coaches in the league. Multiple sources have commented on his preparedness and leadership. There are a few guys that I would love to see get a shot, but if Dave got the job, I wouldn't lose my shit. I think a bunch of good coaches get fired and a bunch of good coaches never get a chance. There are so many things that have to go right. Drafting, players living up to potential, system, getting the right staff, healthy team, luck, etc. The exact thing happens with players. As with all things, we just have to hope for the best, as if we have any control anyway I don't mind getting behind a guy who has consistently shown he can dominate at his job. We could do far worse IMO.

Nicely said and i agree.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

All the things a Head Coach needs plus as a ST coach he has had to work with both Ofence and Defence players. Whats not to like.

Whew...lets take a break. WHERE did u get / find that woman? Is she a Bear fan

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Graduate assistant
Defensive line coach

Now, I am not anti-Toub, but someone has to explain to me how that resume has so many people so damn sure this guy is going to be a great HC.

I am all ears....??

Also, stop fkn worrying about Cutler and the new coach. Cutler isn't in the long term plans at all right now, and while he might be a place holder for the next yr or yr and a half while we rebuild the team, unless he looks great he is going to be gone by the next time the Bears are contending for anything.

valid points

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If Ballard is as good as a lot of people think he is and he has confidence in Toub, then that is fine with me. Toub proved himself as much as any assistant coach in the NFL as far as I am concerned. Why not have two guys who are on the same page?

Mitchapalooza

Graduate assistant
Defensive line coach

I am all ears....??

This doesn't scream HC whatsoever either. Guess who it is? John Harbaugh.

EPvorIC.jpg

shoopster

BANNED
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why are we still talking about this? Florida Mike says nobody's considering Toub inside Halas Hall. Therefore, the mods should shut this thread down.

MakeMyDay

VISIONARY
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jeremy Stoltz ‏@BearReport 1m1 minute ago

Source: Chris Ballard on the verge of becoming the next #Bears GM. Talks ongoing since last week. Ballard "very likely" will accept offer.

Jeremy Stoltz ‏@BearReport 4m4 minutes ago

Source also says Ballard is strongly considering Dave Toub for #Bears head coach position.

Liked Posts:
More from Stoltz: "Source also says Ballard is strongly considering Dave Toub for #Bears head coach position."

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
More from Stoltz: "Source also says Ballard is strongly considering Dave Toub for #Bears head coach position."

The GM and HC need to be in a full bromance for a team to be successful. So if Ballard says Toub is my football BFF then I endorses the move.

Or they need to be the same person, Belichek.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cutler is probably paying much less attention to these reports than we are, but if Toub does get the job, Cutler has to be pretty certain he will be playing somewhere else next year.

MakeMyDay

VISIONARY
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cutler is probably paying much less attention to these reports than we are, but if Toub does get the job, Cutler has to be pretty certain he will be playing somewhere else next year.

Best I can tell is that was a fabrication of what was said in the Waddle/Toub interview... I wouldn't count on it.

GSH1919

Liked Posts:
I'm sorry but I wouldn't understand the Toub hire at all. Weak as hell defense and massively underachieving offense and you bring in a special teams coach to right the ship? I really have no clue what that does for your team honestly.

And for all the John Harbaugh comparisons the obvious is clearly being missed. The Ravens front office is among the league elite, they consistently stack their team with solid defensive talent to complement competitive offenses. When I look at the Bears I don't see Mosley/Dumervil/Sugs/Ngata/Williams/Jernigan/Smith/etc. There is an obvious lack of talent here and bringing in a special teams coach puts alot of pressure on him to bring in ace coordinators, I'm just not sure I see that happening.